ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the rev limit in 4th Gear ?

I went out for a blast today, and with the car fully warmed up as it was a nice day.

And i went from 3rd to 4th.

In 4th i kept it going and the limiter kicked in at 7000rpm @ 110 :S , which i thought was a bit early aint it ?

Is this normal ?

I thought the limiter was 7250 rpm ?

Is the gearings not long enough ?

If so they could be a bit longer in 4th to reach top end better as i've heard the 172's a a waste of time in 5th :(

As the 2000 plated 1.6 Polo i had before hit the limiter in 4th at 7000rpm and 125mph (i thought the 172 would be similar)

And the Polo flat out was 135.

Why is this when the 172 is a quicker car ?

I never got a chance to try the car flat out as i had to turn off :(

Last edited:
  e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
1st and 2nd its 7250 and 3,4 and 5 its 7000rpm

Never knew that, dont like caneing the b****cks out of it in first, so i take it when i eventually get one of these rs tuner kits i will be able to go 7,500 through out the whole box?

when they say the 172 has a top speed of 140mph is that because it runs outta pauff or is it because the limiter kicks in? Haven't had a chance to go that quick to find out my self :eek:

Maybe its 115mph, but i had to watch where i was going so couldn't stare at the speedo.

I'll have go again and try it tomorrow on my private road if it nice weather to check its 115 mph.

It probably is ;)

Never knew that, dont like caneing the b****cks out of it in first, so i take it when i eventually get one of these rs tuner kits i will be able to go 7,500 through out the whole box?

when they say the 172 has a top speed of 140mph is that because it runs outta pauff or is it because the limiter kicks in? Haven't had a chance to go that quick to find out my self :eek:

Good question ;)

And wouldn't these RS Tuner kits kill a 172/182 gearbox with the increase in power due to higher revs ?

Polo + Micra
my 1.6 clio used to do 110 in 4th and hit the limiter

(the polo on the other hand does 132.)

my 1.6 clio used to do 110 in 4th and hit the limiter

(the polo on the other hand does 132.)

Vw gearboxes must be geared longer.

But the Polo Gti ones must be made of chocolate

Lol :rasp:

I went through two in my 2000 plated Gti in 2 years :(

The diff went once and started whining in the second one so i traded it in against the clio ;)

Is your Polo remapped?

clio 172 cup
im sure i hit 120mph in 4th, speedos r always about 5-10mph out at that speed aint they? im sure a gps will tell u a different speed

53 Clio's & counting
well im not sure if the ph2 limit is different but when mines warmed up it will go to 7200 rpm in every gear (well i havent found a long enough road to try in 5th lol) but mine most definatly does limit in the 1st 4 gears at 7200 rpm

172 ph2
Dont know, but the "over-rev gear shift light" turned on in mine doing approx.230km/h ( 143mp/h ), just don't remember where the rpms were at the time... didn't want to try more then:eek:

Dont know, but the "over-rev gear shift light" turned on in mine doing approx.230km/h ( 143mp/h ), just don't remember where the rpms were at the time... didn't want to try more then:eek:

Ah right ok, i noticed the green gear light was lit up on my instrument panel too ;)

Countryman JCW

This is exactly the case in my ph1 172, i get 120 out of 4th at red line(7,000rpm), not had enough road yet to push it to red line in 5th.... Nurburgring trip this summer should be interesting, although i dont like the idea of holding it that high up the rev range for that long.... we shall see

172 mk2 gearing limits to around 110 in 4th , the mk1 and 182's can be opened up to a little more than that .

when i had the remap and raised the limiter i could get 100 in 3rd .

iirc someone with modified ecu on a 182 had 125 in 4th !

arctic 182 black wheels
mine usually hits the limit between 115-120 in 4th but top end i've had 155 playing with my mate in his 197 courtesy car!! lol

ballistic jap missile!!!
172 mk2 gearing limits to around 110 in 4th , the mk1 and 182's can be opened up to a little more than that .

when i had the remap and raised the limiter i could get 100 in 3rd .

iirc someone with modified ecu on a 182 had 125 in 4th !

thats sounds about right,mine shows just short of 130 in 4th at around 7900rpm,prob would take it over 130 if i let the limiter kick in at 8100.

ballistic jap missile!!!
its in my for sale thread,cams,remap to suit,matched manifolds and inlet ports opened up,182 manifold,decat and more headwork on the way:cool:

ballistic jap missile!!!
dont know,i've heard its pot luck whether your box goes,some say its a weak point but 1 of my friends in the know says dont worry????

Renault Sport Clio 172

had mine up to 130mph, and it would go a lot further i believe.... have you abused your motor?

Last edited:
  ballistic jap missile!!!
dont know,i've heard its pot luck whether your box goes,some say its a weak point but 1 of my friends in the know says dont worry????

How prone are the gearboxes to going ?

not sure,just what you here,people say valver gearboxes are bad also but again i've only ever broke 1 in the 4 valvers i've had and i put that down to having 114.000 miles.

I

invisible man

Runs out of puff mate
Had the change gear light come on, then rev limiter kicked in, in 5th gear on my cup - about 140 - took a while to get there though. Also thought it quite funny that the change gear light comes on in top gear

172 exclusive
so ....

my 172 mk1 reaches 125 in forth regurlary and uphill too

(shricked cammed,182 d pipe rev limiter what rev limiter)