ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the penalty for this

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Just got a letter through from Dumfries and Galloway Police. Ive been caught doing 94 in a 70 by a mobile speed camera. It was on a bridge at the bottom of a hill and I had let my speed creep up going down the hill.

What is the likely fine and how many points am I likely to recieve? Also do i tell my insurance as soon as i have the points or do i wait till renewal?

Gutted

u will probably get 6 points and a fine. the chances are your insurance company will be informed by the police, i got caught doing 37 in a 30, i didnt say anything to my insurance company but somehow they found out and topped up my premium!!

E90

My bill came this week from belgium, for doing 101 in a 70, it was 588 euros, which is about 400 quid. 60 quid, I wish!!!!:(

I got 3 points and £60 fine for speeding on a dualcarriageway doing 95mph.

Problem is they arent consistent in dishing out fines and points and probably depends on whether the copper that pulls you is in a good mood.

I phoned my insurance straight after and was told that they will log it but they dont really need to know until renewal.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I can cope with 3 points and a fine but really dont want 6. How do I go about requesting the evidence? I know I was speeding just 94mph sounds a little high. So annoyed with myself for it.

i got caught doing 94 mph on the M1 near leeds 3 years ago. i got3 points and 60 pound. I was not driving dangerously but too fast.

Quote: Originally posted by Dutch 172 on 28 May 2004

My bill came this week from belgium, for doing 101 in a 70, it was 588 euros, which is about 400 quid. 60 quid, I wish!!!!:(
Do that over here and your looking at a 12month ban m8

If you got caught doing 94mph mate, your speedo would have been reading around 100mph so you should have known you were takin the piss a bit. An excuse of not knowing your speed when at 100mph on your speedo is pointless. Theres quite a bit of engine noise difference to start with.

Now i got caught like you at 97.7mph, this was on the A19 and my speeding fine was an SP60. I was fined £60 and recieved 3 points.

Now as to insurance, i have my own evidence that you dont need to tell them until renewal, UNLESS IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS IN YOUR T&C.

I was caught last April doing 97.7mph and never told my insurance company. The worst thing happened and i crashed my car, badly!! I crashed my car in September, writing it off!! I went through the claims department, they asked for my license and sent it back with a cheque for £12000. The 3 points did not need to be declared until renewal. I am with Tescos car insurance.

Even if your policy does require you to tell them of a conviction during your years cover and you dont and then you crash your car, they will still pay out. Minus what extra that your speeding fine would have upped your premium by. So £100 or so!!

Now my missuss sister works with Norwich union insurance and she has told me what ive said above, and with my own evidence from Tescos on top of that, it goes to back it up even more.

To make matters worse, i had modded my car quite a bit, upping power by 30bhp, changed alloys/lights/window tints etc and never declared a thing. We already get ripped by the insurance companys. They never said a thing and still gave me a cheque for £12000.

Ive never heard any stories of insurance companies not paying out because they havent declared something. All that happens is the price that you would have been charged comes off your settlement figure.

Its your decision mate!!

E90

Quote: Originally posted by ricjax99 on 28 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Dutch 172 on 28 May 2004

I got 2 weeks.
Oh and you have to retake your test i think
No, Its two weeks ban from driving in Belgium only. Cant ban me from driving anywhere else in Europe, or make me re-take my test, as I have a UK license.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

The retest after 6 points is only if youve past your test within the last 2 years, as youre on a 6 point probationary level. If youve had a full license for longer than 2 years then 6 points will just go on your license...its still a bummer, just thought Id try and clear that up.

PS. even if you have a speed and laser detector, your device will tell you that youre being clocked, the only way to "avoid" getting caught is if you have a diffuser, this muddles the laser signal, which would then beep to let you know to slow down, then when you are at that speed (ie 70 on Mway) then it will be fine, but they are illegal, as they are perverting the cause of justice...

Meg on pistonheads £6995

3 points - wont make any difference to Insurance IF first offence

100 000s motorists have got one now!

me included

Its the death penalty. They will cut out your eyes and then p*ss on your brain. Then they will eat you. Also they will take your car and sell it to a dealer, who will make 2k on it.

Ad

MK2 FRS

SP50 is the code for speeding on a motorway. Dont know why cause Sp30 is for speeding in a 30 zone. Dont really understand them to be honest. Just know theses are right cause Ive had both.

Quote: Originally posted by donnyo on 28 May 2004

The retest after 6 points is only if youve past your test within the last 2 years, as youre on a 6 point probationary level. If youve had a full license for longer than 2 years then 6 points will just go on your license...its still a bummer, just thought Id try and clear that up.

I was refering to the guy in belgium who got caught doing over 100 btw ;) which would be a ban over here.

Not a 17/18yr old caught out in the first two years. :p

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Ok that doesnt sound too bad.

Obviously i did know i was speeding as I had been keeping it between 80 and 90mph for quite a while its just the hill sped me up a bit more. I know its my own fault and cant blame anyone else. You live you learn.

Cheers for all the replys

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

thats quite a lucky result really

my friends dad got caught doing 125 in france in his 740i and got a 200euro fine!!!

wot a joke- thats like 120quid!

wish it was that leanent over here

The SP codes and points are as follows (I got this from the DVLA website so it correct), they all seem to be 3 to 6 points the fine wasnt mentioned. 3 or 6 points is descretionary depending on how much you were exceeding the limit, conditions etc and any more than 30 over the limit is a ban:

SP10 Exceeding goods vehicle speed limits.......... 3-6

SP20 Exceeding speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods or passenger vehicles)..........3-6

SP30 Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public road.......... 3-6

SP40 Exceeding passenger vehicle speed limit.......... 3-6

SP50 Exceeding speed limit on a motorway.......... 3-6

SP60 Undefined speed limit offence.......... 3-6

John, I thought thats what it would be mate.

I got caught on the A9 by a camera van doing 96mph. They gave me 5pts and £200.

The fact that I was doing 96mph meant that it had to go to court, 95mph would have been 3pts/£60! How sh1t is that?!