ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's the law regarding cracked windscreens?

Hi chaps,

After working on the car for a bit, I went out for a bit of a drive, only to have the mother of all stones hit my windscreen!

The cracks are reasonably big, I know it's hard to explain without pics, I'll try to get one up later. But I just wondered if there was any official rules regarding this.
I know I will have to replace the windscreen, but I cant afford the £75 excess at the moment, so I might leave it.
The crack is on the passenger side too, so it doesnt affect my sight.

Also, are the 182 windscreens easy to swap over, with all the rain sensor bits on them too?

AK

M240i
As long as it's not in your line of sight it's ok IIRC.

I've had a crack in mine for a few months lol never got round to getting it to Autoglass :rasp:

Black 197
I think for safe measures you may aswel replace it for the MOT as you'll get a lazy tester in one place then a hitler in another, But like Zippo said if it not cracked in your line of sight then you'll be ok to drive around,

I'd be careful though depending on how big the crack is it could expand due to road bumps etc... Get it replaced asap