ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats quicker v6 or 182

golf r32 dsg

ive heard alot that the 182 and 182 trophy are quicker than the v6??

im thinking how can a 2L 182bhp vs 3L 255bhp how can there be a comparison!!

wats every1 think???

The V6 is heavy 1.4 tones plus the 182s particulalry the trophy have a stunning suspension setup.
I think a 182 and a V6 have similar power to weight ratios and although at higer speed the extra Hp makes its fect known the 182s have the advanatge that hey can carry loads of speed round the bends. Plus the V6 can be a bit twichy on the bends.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

On a track maybe, but in real world driving the V6 will certainly be faster.

golf r32 dsg

Quote: Originally posted by Frasers Cup on 03 August 2005

The V6 will also have better traction being rwd.
yer i thought that.....

and wats the point of making a v6 if its not going to be any quicker than the 182.

BMW 330d :)

I think its more exotic and the sound of a v6 would def do it for me. You also wouldnt need to thrash the hell out of it all the time as it has more torque than the 182.

I def would have a v6 over my 172 cup if someone offered me one.

Oh and BTW the mags say that its 0-60 time is 5.8 secs so technically it is a bit faster in a straight line.

Fraser

Clio 197

I overtook more than one at brands...

... and none overtook me.

But I cant remember how many people were actually driving their own Vees.

We had an Airfield event not so long ago..... and a well-driven V6 with NOS certainly wasnt faster than my 182 - the bends gave me an advantage.

On a long track, it may be different.

PS RWD requires a fair amount of skill to drive quickly.

A 172, 182 will out corner a V at a track day. But in terms of straight line performance the V has just got it licked. I would rather have a V than a 182, or 172 or trophy though just cos they are so special.

Oh and a V will generate alot more grip off the line due the shift of weight over the back wheels, the Fwd cars will just waste it more with wheelspin.

Fraser

[Edited by Frasers Cup on 03 August 2005 at 10:59pm]

Traction isnt a huge issue realy on the 182s when your moving.
In the real worl the 182 is quicker IMO more speed on the bends plus the brakes are better.
I think on the 1/4 miles I dont think the V6 are as fast as the 182s though.
The V6 is a flagship car its nothing like a 182. Id love either and even if they were the same prie Id still have the V6 is superb to look at it truly unique I think a lot o mmbers would agree even though we say the 182 is the faster track/road car.

Yeah i know what you mean. The 182 may be the better all round car but the V6 has more soul, and every time i see one I almost crash!

MMmmmmmmmmm:D

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

I counted 3 that i overtook at Oulton park and that was my first trackday :) I was taking it pretty easy tbh haha :eek:) Obviously have a Vee over my 182 anyday...they look and sound immense!

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 03 August 2005

We had an Airfield event not so long ago..... and a well-driven V6 with NOS certainly wasnt faster than my 182 - the bends gave me an advantage.

On a long track, it may be different.

PS RWD requires a fair amount of skill to drive quickly.

yes oms....dont remind me!!!......lol

long race the v6 would deffo be quicker.....

Ford Fiesta ST2

I have driven the V6, and definately the mk1 is a tricky car to drive quick. It has so much grip it is suprising, but its having the bottle to push it. A 182 you can get away with a bit of the rear end coming out, and it can be easily controlled, but the V6, all that weight at the back, if the rear starts going your in a mess, unless your used to it and can control it. I think for experienced drivers the V6 would give the 182 a good run for its money. I think the 182 is an easier trackday car, but i found the V6 a more satisfying drive, and more of a challenge, which is what I like.

whats this about the V6 being slow around corners? Anyone can get a 182 around a corner quick, but the V6 requires skill and once mastered it is so much faster round a corner.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

all i can say is that its bad press for the V6 when people ask that sort of question about a car that costs £15k less

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 04 August 2005

all i can say is that its bad press for the V6 when people ask that sort of question about a car that costs £15k less

yes but....182 LOOKS like a car that costs £15 k less!!!

from the front you cant tell if its a 182 or 1.2 sport...lol

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 04 August 2005 at 8:39am]

Clio V6 255 & 172

I dont think anyone is serious about this , are they.

The V6 is a much more challanging/rewarding car to drive on the road or track, I have still got my 172 and a V6 and have driven them both on tracks and roads for prolonged periods and there is no comparison in grip/excelleration/speed or price for that matter.

To put it simply the 172/182s are much more forgiving than the V6 IF YOU GET IT WRONG IT WILL KICK YOUR ASS, the 172/182s any body can drive fast quite quickly, you have to learn and get use to the V6, not just a couple of laps in it with somebody holding your hand.;) .

320d M Sport

got to remember as well that if youve spent 24k on a V6, youre going to not push it as hard as an 8k cup, or 10k 182.

well, i wouldnt anyway!

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 04 August 2005

Lol well this hasnt been done before! :p

Chris
But last time they worded it Whats would be quicker round the NRing.

Why dont we also include the williams in this?

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 04 August 2005

Chris

oh please dont, theyll all put their tins of red oxide paint down and come looking for an arguement lol. ;)

MERCEDES CLS AMG

ive had 2 V6s and they are terrible cars - a 172 cup has better handling and is as quick if not a tad quicker.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Still rubbish - there was a mk2 V6 255 at the pod last week getting 15.3 @ 97 mph and williams clios were getting 14.8,s ??

I ran a V6 with a re-mapped ECU and a 100 bhp Nitrous set up with a digimax progressive controller - i was getting 13.6,s at 107 with that set up. Mehdi in his williams with T/Bs was getting 13.4s with no NOS !! Im an experienced quarter miler and i could not do anything with the V6.........so i sold it and made a faster car.....the obvious choice was a 172 cup transplant in a 1.2 shell. The power to weight ratio is a lot better and so is the handling - it cost me £2500 to do and with my NOS kit bolted on i was getting the same times as my V6........for £23k less

Polo GTi

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 04 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 04 August 2005Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 04 August 2005 Lol well this hasnt been done before! :pChris[/QUOTE]But last time they worded it Whats would be quicker round the NRing. Why dont we also include the williams in this?oh please dont, theyll all put their tins of red oxide paint down and come looking for an arguement lol. ;)[/QUOTE]

You f**kin what!!!! Piece of sh*t new car owner!!!!

:p :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by FlamingMonkey on 04 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 04 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 04 August 2005

Chris

oh please dont, theyll all put their tins of red oxide paint down and come looking for an arguement lol. ;)

You f**kin what!!!! Piece of sh*t new car owner!!!!

:p :cool:

;)

lol, you know what happens it all gets a bit handbag. I dont see why both camps cant get along personally. I like the williams and the valver almost bought both on several occasions theyre great cars but decided not to for several reasons.

Unfortunately though there seem to be more willy/valver owners who feel the need to constantly slate the 172/182 than 172/182 owners slating valvers.

Lee

BMW M2C

As I said in a previous post. Only one V6 has been quicker than me on track and that was driven by someone who does track days for a living. ;)

The V requires a much better driver to be driven fast than a 182 does.

If you like I can post links to numerous videos of me on track days catching and passing Vs. Let me know if you want links to the vids.

I find I can brake later, corner faster and carry more speed out of the turn. Youll see on one of the vids how I pull out to overtake a V out of a corner which I took better, then after a few yards the power becomes and issue and he edges away, if it werent a track day (no overtaking) Id not have much trouble either out braking or cornering one.

This is from personal experience, Im just telling you the way its happened to me.

The V6 is all about the experience to me, its a very special car which is fantastic to drive, it doesnt matter if the 182 is quicker or slower. The V is amazing. It just wouldnt suit the way I like to drive.

In reference to your question in the other thread Craig, Ive found on the road the Mk2 V6 is a lot harder to keep up with on the track. The torque it has really shows then.

Polo GTi

Yeah does get a bit hand bags at dawn, I like it cause I get bored, hehe

Sssshhh dont tell anyone I have a Williams and I like the Mk2s, dont let the Bigger Willy boys catch me saying that :D

Doesnt mean they are faster though ;)

Quote: Originally posted by FlamingMonkey on 04 August 2005

Yeah does get a bit hand bags at dawn, I like it cause I get bored, hehe

Sssshhh dont tell anyone I have a Williams and I like the Mk2s, dont let the Bigger Willy boys catch me saying that :D

Doesnt mean they are faster though ;)

Youll be thrown out of the exposed nipple handshake under the leg society saying things like that ;) lol

Clio v6

Im more of an experienced road driver with much more experience of rwd cars, but I am certain I would leave my Vee standing in a 172 never mind a 182.

The Vee is just a different looking nippy wee car.

From my experience of 1/4 miling the fwd cars are much more difficult to get a fast launch from as the weight shifts off the driven wheels and all you get is wheelspin. The extra weight of the v6 will hurt it and when the 172/182 gets traction I think it would reel the V back in. I have seen in numerous mags the Mk2 V getting a faster 0-60 than any other clio. J3ned did you not have a Mk1 V? They are a bit slower and similar to a 172/182/williams.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Quote: Originally posted by Frasers Cup on 04 August 2005

J3ned did you not have a Mk1 V? They are a bit slower and similar to a 172/182/williams.

not with 100 horse jet of nos pulsing through that big old dirty V6 lump

Lol, maybe not with that but standard. Do you not agree though that with the V you could give it more off the line without setting the tyres on fire?;)

When I did my first 1/4 mile i found it very tricky with my fwd 172 cup to get the launch right, I either bonfired my front tyres or bogged down and couldnt get into the powerband quick enough!

What did you find as the best technique for launching?

Fraser

MKIII 138

shouldnt have to pump 100 shot of NOS in a £27,000 car just to get some decent speeds.

obviously everyone would have a Vee it looks really nice and sounds really nice. its also something to impress the girls + your mates. although in the vee you can only take one person anywhere.