ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats quicker v6 or 182

Renault Laguna Coupe

Ive already given my comments about the V6 vs 182 debate.

I drove a V6 and 350Z back to back before I ordered my Vee (local dealer is Renault and Nissan combined). The 350Z was simply awful. Just another pile of Jap-crap with no character. It might look pretty to some, but its really awful to drive, and well its just not special at all.

The V6 was about £4k less than a properly speccd 350Z as well, so it was no contest really.

Clio V6 255 (Acid Yellow)

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 06 August 2005

Good, because i dont want it comming across that im sl*gging for the sake of sl*gging.

The v6 has ALOT more rubber on the road than the fwds, traction isnt an issue with all that weight and rubber at the back.

The problem i find is that when you really really push, you have to be so god damned aggressive to get the thing to turn and hold a line. With all that weight, and the suspension flaws i pointed out previously, the light front end just wants push on if your smooth, especially with a high polar moment, its not hard to understand why.

People complained about the rear end stability, but i find the vague as hell front end more of an issue.

Does sound good, ill give you that though....just needs to spin up faster.
Clearly your talking from experience, but a light front end should mean that the back wants to push on (like the old 911s) i.e. oversteer, rather than understeer.

Oh well, Ill have to get it on a track and see how it handles. If it really does struggle with understeer then maybe a little left foot braking will keep it in line.

Quote: Originally posted by _Tom_ on 06 August 2005

reliability, power, looks.........and corners lol.
Is reliability an issue with the V6?

It may have a little more power, but on the road performance (from my experience at Santa Pod) is worse.

Looks... thats a matter of opinion. The dealer that I bought the V6 from was next to a Nissan garage. I had a good look at both cars and the V6 IMO was much more likely to get rogered.

Corners... I must admit EVO rave about the handling of the 350Z, but having not driven one I cant comment.
http://www.burnedalive.co.uk/ocuk/cliov6fire8.jpg

Just jokin!!!

Its a renault, will always have problems...the boxs and clutches are crap for one.

Looks are subjective, so its upto whomever is looking i agree.

Clio V6 255 (Acid Yellow)

Ha ha, I laughed out loud when I saw that pic... lol

Just as an add on, I notice that MikeT is still running the standard box with 440bhp, so surely they are fairly solid. As for the clutches being weak - I have only owned the car for a week and completely agree. However, Im yet to hear of someone damaging an untuned V6 engine. They are so unstressed I dont see how they can go wrong.... touch wood

[Edited by _Tom_ on 06 August 2005 at 12:51am]

Good, because i dont want it comming across that im sl*gging for the sake of sl*gging.

The v6 has ALOT more rubber on the road than the fwds, traction isnt an issue with all that weight and rubber at the back.

The problem i find is that when you really really push, you have to be so god damned aggressive to get the thing to turn and hold a line. With all that weight, and the suspension flaws i pointed out previously, the light front end just wants push on if your smooth, especially with a high polar moment, its not hard to understand why.

People complained about the rear end stability, but i find the vague as hell front end more of an issue.

Does sound good, ill give you that though....just needs to spin up faster.
Clearly your talking from experience, but a light front end should mean that the back wants to push on (like the old 911s) i.e. oversteer, rather than understeer.

Oh well, Ill have to get it on a track and see how it handles. If it really does struggle with understeer then maybe a little left foot braking will keep it in line.
Its all about the CoG, and the 911 had the engine past the rear axle, it had a pendulous ass, and it was that that cought out poor drivers, it would go because the rotational inertia pulled it that way. The clios weight is infront of the rear axle, and its CoG means the car turns around a point further forward, the front end pushes because all of the weight is pushing through a line drawn from the CoG in the direction if inertial travel.

Nevermind left foot braking, once your in the turn its too late, Trail brake and muscle the thing so its already at an increased slip angle before you hit the apex.

Ha ha, I laughed out loud when I saw that pic... lol

Just as an add on, I notice that MikeT is still running the standard box with 440bhp, so surely they are fairly solid. As for the clutches being weak - I have only owned the car for a week and completely agree. However, Im yet to hear of someone damaging an untuned V6 engine. They are so unstressed I dont see how they can go wrong.... touch wood

[Edited by _Tom_ on 06 August 2005 at 12:51am]

lol....quick touch alot of it.

Id be in fits of laughter from the agony if that was my car.........what a bummer, would suck so bad. Couldnt do anything but laugh i guess....much rather it totally burn out and get a new one then repair a half melted one.

Talk to mike about the boxs, hell explain.

172, Tiguan

On a slight side note, what is the fixation with quarter mileing? Talk about dull as ditchwater!

Go find yourself a track and discover what a corner is!!!

350z is a better car fullstop! (lol) ;)

jon, i was all excited but now youve made me want to go to bed.

Ill count the 1/4 mile seconds to put myself to sleep..... :p

Agree about 1/4 mileing, its a USA thing isnt it?

While we are talking about the 350Z and other cars, whats people opinions on here of the TVR T350? i had a look at one today and it did look very nice, peformance in the book says 300bhp per tonne with 400nm of torque and 60 in 4.5 and 100 in 9.5 and 175mph top speed, so seems fast enough.

whats your opinion BenR? ever driven one?

Spend £10k with you on my V6 ( I want more power), or buy a TVR T350 and let my wife have the V6 for a while....lol

Simon

Never Driven a T350.....but it is one of my favourite cars!!

Good choice!

TVR TVR TVR....if you can live with it.

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,

Boxs!!

If the clutch was OK itd blow up today.

Mk2 stronger around the diff housing due to improving shift mounting and exploding diffs on the Mk1.

Change smoothly and dont drop the clutch and they survive - bully them and youll need some spare ones.

clio v6

£800.00 will give you 50 bhp of nos...really safe and got it when you need it and not all the time.

it gives the vee just what it needed in the 1st place...280 bhp.

i have got mine up to 310 ish and it will light tyres up now...so maybe a little to much..

sorted my handling out too.

1. rear wheel tracking was out.

2. fitted 2 Nangkang tyres to rear (superb)

3. put slightly lower profile tyres to the front 50 down to 45s

feals like a different car....

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

simon get the tvr mate you will be blown away with the performance.

And chasing bikes up the motorway is good fun too

ian

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The V6 is the quicker car i think.

It would take a good driver in the 182 and a poor driver in the v6 to make it look good

But a good driver in the v6 and a poor driver in the 182 to leave it for dead.

Does anyone really think the 182 would stand a chance off an island in 3rd and 4th up to say 120. i dont think so

Cornering has so many variants to it but for straight line speed the v6 should be way in front

Maybe mike and lee can have a blast next wed night at the mini telford meat to verify this,

ian

we all agree that in a straight line its no competition.

But i think youll be surprised at the difference.

As a new member I have found this thread entertaining, at the end of the day, the threads question is pretty simple and I guess that the conclusion is that in a straight line the V6 is quicker and on the twisties (with a good driver) theres not much in it. For most drivers the V6 will be more of a handful and will probably get beaten cos the limits are harder to judge.

The rest of the posts are around which car is better overall for the money. People who have bought V6s obviously reckon that the overall package (performance, sound, looks, etc) is worth the extra money. The people who havent bought a V6 either dont think its worth the extra money or do but cant afford one.

Since I have a V6 you can see which camp I am in but its just my opinion!

Keep up the entertainment...;)

Clio 197

I think a V6 vs 182 day would be good fun, if we could arrange it somehow.

ClarkieV6 - Do you think you could do something ?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 06 August 2005

Maybe mike and lee can have a blast next wed night at the mini telford meat to verify this,
oh no thisll end in tears *starts dieting*

Clio 197

^^

Lol... Ok:

1) Atkins & Gym:p
2) Lighter wheels (those OZ ones are far too strong/heavy for normal road use IMO)
3) Carbon bonnet
4) Lightweight battery
5) Bucket seats (which youve tastefully done already):D
6) Quarter tank of fuel and sceen wash
7) Lost the jack (if supplied)
8) Close all vents, and fill the car with helium.

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 06 August 2005
The 350Z was simply awful. Just another pile of Jap-crap with no character. It might look pretty to some, but its really awful to drive, and well its just not special at all.

Theres no accounting for taste. The Z is a sublime handling car that puts a grin on my face from ear to ear. The driving position is also near perfect, and the engine note is surely as good as the Clio V6? The interior also feels about a thpusand times better than any Clio.

Im not knocking the V6, as Ive never driven one. I have however driven my mates Z, and IMHO its a superb machine. I think Id rather have one over a V6, but only a test drive in the Vee would cement my thoughts :)

Renault Laguna Coupe

^^ true Roy, just personal preference probably. Our local Nissan dealer shares a site with the Renault dealer, so I literally drove them back to back.

Clio 197

^^

Lol...

I only thought of it the other day...

While ClarkieV6 is beavering away in his garage.... tinkering with his beast, so that he wins @ the next airfield meet...

I need cheap DIY methods of keeping the weight down... hence Ill be losing the sceen-wash @ the next airfield meet!

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 08 August 2005

^^

Lol...

I only thought of it the other day...

While ClarkieV6 is beavering away in his garage.... tinkering with his beast, so that he wins @ the next airfield meet...

I need cheap DIY methods of keeping the weight down... hence Ill be losing the sceen-wash @ the next airfield meet!

pmsl.....

i cant win my own event can I...??;)

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 07 August 2005
I think a V6 vs 182 day would be good fun, if we could arrange it somehow.ClarkieV6 - Do you think you could do something ?

Thinking about it, weve already done this at Spa last year.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 07 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 06 August 2005Maybe mike and lee can have a blast next wed night at the mini telford meat to verify this,[/QUOTE]oh no thisll end in tears *starts dieting*

That slip road down onto the M54 could be entertaining. :D

I have a lot of V6 v 182 days cos herself has a 182 and I have V6.

The 182 is easier to set-up for corners and higher entry/exit speeds are achievable, especially in the wet.

She dont know fear and is oblivious to tyre squeel, engine scream and clutch slip, also her screen wash bottle is always empty.

She is always running late for work / hairdressers / gym, etc, so gets plenty of high speed cross country practice and then complains that the 182 is heavy on fuel!

BUT she dont like the V6 cos the Recaros are hard to get in and out of and it dont hold many shopping bags!

So, for me this makes V6 a real mans car and 182 a girly car!!!

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 07 August 2005

I think a V6 vs 182 day would be good fun, if we could arrange it somehow.

ClarkieV6 - Do you think you could do something ?

mmmm me thinks a challenge is required...the airfield could be an option...but not very long tho!!!!

we needs to get to about 120 +mph then we will show you young whipper snappers whos the daddy....lol

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by clarkiev6 on 08 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by omar on 07 August 2005<!-- ZoneLabs Popup Blocking Insertion -->I think a V6 vs 182 day would be good fun, if we could arrange it somehow.ClarkieV6 - Do you think you could do something ? mmmm me thinks a challenge is required...the airfield could be an option...but not very long tho!!!!we needs to get to about 120 +mph then we will show you young whipper snappers whos the daddy....lol[/QUOTE]

I agreed to do a 182 Vs MG ZR day a while ago, the MG dealer was paying until MG went under. Id happily run timed laps against a Standard Mk1 or Mk2 V6 on a proper circuit. I dont do airfields.

Id suggest http://www.curborough.co.uk/Curborough, but I admit that would favour the more nimble, better setup car so the V wouldnt stand a chance.

Quote: Originally posted by hog1 on 08 August 2005

I have a lot of V6 v 182 days cos herself has a 182 and I have V6.

The 182 is easier to set-up for corners and higher entry/exit speeds are achievable, especially in the wet.

She dont know fear and is oblivious to tyre squeel, engine scream and clutch slip, also her screen wash bottle is always empty.

She is always running late for work / hairdressers / gym, etc, so gets plenty of high speed cross country practice and then complains that the 182 is heavy on fuel!

BUT she dont like the V6 cos the Recaros are hard to get in and out of and it dont hold many shopping bags!

So, for me this makes V6 a real mans car and 182 a girly car!!!

Like to see you get in and out of my buckets and put up with a set of coilovers with the damping set fully to hard. As for shopping bags thered be no point as ive taken the rear seats out so id get hit in the back of the head when i brake. Women hate my car because of the seats, coilovers and harnesses so does that make the V6 a girly car....

V

v6Max

If you choose somewhere near to Liecester I can provide you with a Race-Logic DL1 datalogger which will give you timed laps, maximum positive and negative G in lateral and acceleration planes (and some other stuff)...

This would keep you away from any TDOs rules on timing and give you a whole load of other data about the behaviour of the car. It runs off a ciggy lighter and just needs the GPS ariel attached to the roof.

Could be interesting...
P.S. I suspect the Trophy will win this against a standard V Im afraid...

[Edited by v6Max on 08 August 2005 at 10:52am]

clio v6

dont think either is a girly car...i had a 172 and loved it...

gonna have be a trip to germany... down their motorway......

dk

911 GTS Cab

so is this settled yet, the 182 is quicker yes?

[Edited by dave182 on 08 August 2005 at 12:01pm because the 182 is quicker, not faster]