ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats going on here?

Clio 1.2 16V
After spending a ton a few months ago to fix my clio yet another problem props up. Basically if i drive around then go over 65 or so the engine .. misfires and i lose power for a second and the revs go back to normal i've managed to reproduce it twice now but both times i haven't tried going back to a higher speed after it happens once it does i get a flashing engine coolant light and a stop light, if i stop for a minute turn the engine off and start back up the lights are out again like normal and it starts fine i haven't braved trying to reproduce it since i don't know whats up and if it will cause more damage.

I'm stumped for ideas and haven't heard of this before especially when there are no obvious signs, any ideas? The temperature gauge has never been over halfway while driving, i would assume this was a coolant issue but since i'm getting a misfire i'm not sure what it could be, i've not noticed any signs of leakage at all today its been really sunny and the ground is dry but theres no signs of coolant leakage or anything else.

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 16V
have you changed your spark plugs recently. Cheap ones are no good

Yeah not to long ago i had a few problems and took it to a local garage can't remember exactly what was changed but he did do the coil packs, also remember taking it to a garage a few months ago and the mechanic there said my plugs were worn out but they weren't completely gone, can't remember exactly though if they've been changed.

Clio 1.2 16V
Is it safe to drive the car like this? I'm not having any actual problems with the car itself its starting and running fine except for the high speed misfire and the revs go back to normal and it seems to drive normal with the stop lights on. I've checked the coolant bottle and its right on the maximum line so i can't see it being a head gasket problem plus no signs of leakage can only think a coolant sensor has broke or isn't working correctly at high speed.

Megane Mk4
Damaged/old/worn Coil pack/HT leads, old or worn spark plugs are usually misfire issues.

I've just had the same sort of problem with mine. Spark plugs have only just been replaced 3 months ago so I ruled them out. Replaced the HT coil pack today, £59 lighter and 10 minutes later, it's working fine now. Mine used to stutter and had the engine management light on (little orange engine light on dash flashes in bottom right corner) Since changing the pack it's ok now.

You can drive it, but it'll just stutter about a lot. Does get annoying though, doesn't do your fuel economy good either :eek:

**** Edit, just read your post properly! lol ...

Might be a connection fault under the bonnet, check all your electrical connections for wear or if they're loose too ***

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 16V
I'm seeing a local mechanic tomorrow and will try some new plugs and all the other connections its weird though it only happens at high speed and especially with the overheating warning light coming on with stop light, thankfully though i don't think its a serious issue as theres no obvious signs of a leakage and the engine is turning over fine while idle (around 500rpm) and it always starts first time on cold days etc etc lol.

Last edited:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Could possibly be the injection loom at fault, ive seen this many times on 1.2 16v. Take a look around the back of the engine there is a metal black cover, remove that and you may see your problem instanly. Wires eaten through, caused by that black metal cover.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
As previsouly said check all ignition euipment. Also check your battery earthing point, check all fuses as well.

Might be worth getting a fault code reading from your ECU.

Vauxhall Sorry
Hey, newb here. One of my friends is having the same trouble. 1.2 16v again. She gets quite worried about the losing power. the Serv light has been on intermittently for about a month now, and recently the EM light has come on. it hasnt long been serviced, with a stamp.. (like it means something) but it judders sometimes and when 1st started it just instantly dies. When restarted the idle is rather erratic, for a few minutes then settles. but it appears to misfire as when I've accelerated its struggled and then caught up with itself, it that makes sense. Can anyone shed some light or is it likely to be similar to above?