ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats all this 480, 720 and 1080 stuff?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I've been playing my XBox360 games on 1080i, as that was the highest setting my Panasonic 42" TV allowed. The graphics on Gears or War and Splinter Cell are awesome, but should I be playing on a lower figure for better graphics or is 1080 the peak, and therefore the best? Dont really know a lot about these numbers.

Got PGR3 and Burnout Revenge the other day too, preowned both for £40. Both are class, but Burnout is top notch and very addictive. Gears of War, awesome, and Splinter Cell is superb too :approve:

Boxster S
Its the number of horizontal lines (on a pc its the resolution of the image).
Basically:
Higher = Better

Neil

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Cheers dude. That sounds pretty good then, its just that a few people have claimed 720 is better for gaming. 1080 seems pretty damn good at the moment, but I want the best HD quality! :D

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Its just that on IGN website it says this...

There's obviously the high-definition experience. Burnout Revenge looks great on 720p and surprisingly good on 1080i as well.

So I dont know what to play it on? I'm using 1080 but from this quote you'd think 720p is better.

182FF c/w Recaros
Progressive is supposed to be better for sports/fast action stuff whereby the Interlaced stuff may be more suitable for less frantic action. I've tried both (720p and 1080i) on my Panny Plasma and my 360 and can't tell the difference lol.:rolleyes:

182FF c/w Recaros
I would assume that if you have a 1080 natvie screen then you should run at 1080.

Alas, I only have a 720 Plasma set so that will have to suffice for now until the upgrade bug bites again:D

your plasma wont even be 720 it will be some oddball resolution like every other screen out there (except the 1080 ones)

182FF c/w Recaros
Pretty sure it is 720p (horizontal). Just the vertical that's a bit funny (1024 or something).

edit, 1024X720 Res.

Not all about the pixels anyway;)

PGR3 looks super fab so full on 1080p can wait a while yet.

it will be 1024 x 78 but it supports 720p by scaling the image also your tv isnt even nativly widescreen it has to use square pixels to make it widescreen

if you have your 360 connected via vga try setting it to 1024x768 it may just look better

182FF c/w Recaros
thats better then but still you have square pixels so it still needs to scale on the X axis

Indeed.

Although i'd wager 50p that not many peeps would notice looking at the pic:D

Looking at the bigger picture though. SD gaming is dead. Long live HD:approve:

most prob not but i tend to find alot of people seem to be blind and deaf when it comes to stuff like this the gf cant hear the backlight on mine but i can and it pisses me off so its off back !!!

182FF c/w Recaros
I have it's smaller (and posher 600;) ) brother.

Looking forward to checking out GOW. Apparantly it's mean to look awesome.

Gotham is beautiful too:approve:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Indeed. Gears of War looks amazing, as does Gotham, but I want to use the best setting, and I dont know what that is. Just been using 1080. It should be simpler than all this. I mean, why would Burnout look fantastic on 720, and quite good on 1080 too, according to the review?! It should look better on 1080 surely?

182FF c/w Recaros
Your tv is having to scale to it's native res (720/768) when it's on 1080.

Your not realy getting the full benefit of 1080 since you telly is scalling the 1080 back to 720/768 lines.

I've looked at both (720p and 1080i) and can't tell the difference.

Unless you could do a side by side comparison, i doubt if you could tell.

I would just leave at 720p (or 1080i if you wish) and forget about it.

As you say, either look superb so it's no biggie:D