ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whatever happened with the 172 Cup options?

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Just reading that 'Difference between a 172 and 172 Cup' thread and I had forgotten about the options list for the Cup. Anyone remember? In the official brochure it was stating options for roll cages, upgraded brakes, suspension (I think) fire extinguishers etc. Did anything ever come of that?

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
No it was definitely in the brochure for the 172 Cup road car. I think it stated they were going to be introduced as options and fitted at the dealership, and to 'Ask your dealer' etc. It was nothing hardcore, just upgraded bits and bobs.

Yeah I read the same thing about the 182Cup. Roll cage and bucket chairs to follow. Fairly sure Autocar wrote about it.

I'm guessing it was all only ever a marketing ploy to make people think they were buying a racing car.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Roll cage and fire extinguishers in a road car are pretty hardcore...
But yeah, nothing came of it. Climate was the only additional option on them

That's a bit of a shame. And yet Roy says they announced it with the 182 Cup as well but it sounds like that never happened either. I think Renault missed a trick there - especially with the 172 Cup.