ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do ......

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Got a leaky rear shock on the Ph1 and have a few options, and just wanted peoples thoughts / opinions as well as some ideas of price and ease to do.

Option 1 - Replace the rear shocks with standards. Been quoted £40 each ex vat.

Option 2 - If i've got the back of the car to bits, and bearing in mind its a 95k car, might as well replace the rear springs as well as they're looking a bit ropey, and it just seems to make sense. Been quoted £147 for the 2 shocks and 2 springs all inc. Does this sound reasonable?

Option 3 - If i'm going to spend £150 on it then I might as well spend £250 and put a set of raceland coilies on it knowing that i won't have to worry about it for a good few years / miles hopefully and I can lower it a bit at the same time for looks, although that doesn't bother me too much. Just £250 for4 springs and 4 shocks seems cheap compared to the price i got for just the rears! Once fitted i assume they have to be set up and how much does that cost?

Now, to me the 3rd option sounds the best. I don't track the car and have no intention of, it's my daily drive so just want it to work reliably. I'd prefer to spend a bit extra and know it's sorted for a good while rather than just keep patching!

The questions though, how easy are shocks and springs / coilovers to fit? I'm an engineer and have a useful array of tools so it looks fairly straight forward. Just worried about shearing something / getting it to bits and not be able to get it back together, and being stuck with a 3 wheeled car i can't move! Also if i go with the coilover option is worth doing the top mounts and how much are they for standard replacements?

The last question is what is it likely to do to my insurance. I'm with elephant, have 2 years ncb and pay around £700 a year atm.

Answers to some all of the above questions would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it was me, i'd fit new standard shocks and some eibach springs.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Option 3 as that's what I did, not to hard to fit, and I was with Elephant insurance didn't change much.

Did you have to get them set up after you fitted them, and if so what does that cost roughly?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Did you have to get them set up after you fitted them, and if so what does that cost roughly?

Yes, you'll need to get the tracking done need to give them a week or two to settle first. Place near me charged 35 quid to do the tracking and camber. That was very cheap though so expect to pay more than that.

b/g 182, meg tourer
depends on what ride quality you are after too. coilovers will give you a much more harsh ride 90% of the time and you said that you will never track the car...

so i would say option 2 would suit you best. new oem shocks and sportline springs for all round comfort/performance/looks.

i'd go for 1., and buy a spare set of springs off of here when they next crop up - they go for next to nothing and aren't difficult to fit if you need to revisit

are those genuine parts you've been quoted for?

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
i'd go for 1., and buy a spare set of springs off of here when they next crop up - they go for next to nothing and aren't difficult to fit if you need to revisit

are those genuine parts you've been quoted for?

No they were from a Motor factors around the corner from me who are usually very good price wise. Seen others about that price too.

Think I'm likely to go with option 3. Will only increase the insurance £30 a year and it would look better a bit lower, although having said that I have grown up on a farm so am used to the tractor look! lol

I think I should be able to fit them fine, lets face it, it's only 3 bolts, just being a pleb! Wait for the thread asking if i can drive it with 3 shocks on ........ lol

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
depends on what ride quality you are after too. coilovers will give you a much more harsh ride 90% of the time and you said that you will never track the car...

so i would say option 2 would suit you best. new oem shocks and sportline springs for all round comfort/performance/looks.

Don't mind the harsher ride tbh and most of my driving is up the nice smooth a6