ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do if it was your car?

Clio 172 Phase II
Hi Folks

What would you do?
I have an 02 plate 172, mileage is now 160,100. The MOT expires next month.

Good points:
Engine still strong.
Belts been done in keeping with proper intervals, etc
Had a recent service/oil change, etc

Bad points:
ABS switched off (apparently had a non compatible CV joint fitted that had wrong ABS ring).
Clutch never been replaced. I suspect it must be on its way out soon.
Seat rails on passenger seat are broken.
It’s tatty all round (doesn't bother me whatsoever)

Would you spend the money getting it through its next MOT? It’s definitely going to need a new CV joint (for the ABS) and seat rails, but that’s about all….

Actually, now I have typed all this out, I think I know what I am going to do, but I guess I am still interested in reading the abuse/derision that I will likely receive..cheers! :0)

330i. E30 Touring.
Get it through the MOT as cheaply as possible. With second hand parts on here it'll probably only be £100 or so,

No point in selling/breaking as it'll just cost you money to buy something else.

Clio 172 Phase II
Get it through the MOT as cheaply as possible. With second hand parts on here it'll probably only be £100 or so,

No point in selling/breaking as it'll just cost you money to buy something else.

Thanks for your opinion, that's what I am going to do. But I can't do all the work myself (no time/space/talent/knowledge), so I would need to get it done by someone else. Might have a go at the seat rails though.

Renault clio 2005
I would keep it and put it through the mot should be quite cheap too get it through and you know the car and it`s History :)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
You're in a similar situation to me. My 172 is currently on 139k and is sorn. It needs a mot, and belts changed. It's worth much more in parts but the engine is strong and I've had it a long time ( nearly 8 years) so I'll spend a bit on and get in running again soonish.

So yeah keep, it fix it!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
You're in a similar situation to me. My 172 is currently on 139k and is sorn. It needs a mot, and belts changed. It's worth much more in parts but the engine is strong and I've had it a long time ( nearly 8 years) so I'll spend a bit on and get in running again soonish.

So yeah keep, it fix it!

I like this :)

FF Racing Blue 182
Try and do as much yourself its a good feeling when you complete a job on your own

I went out and bought some tools and managed to fit rear shocks and front pads with a little help on here

Pretty simple and you save money and learn