ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What was the cause of your misfire??

Clio 172 Cup
Having developed a misfire on the 172, and having read through loads of threads about misfires, it seems most don't come to a conclusion, presumably due to once the car is fixed, the post isn't required and just drops down the pages without an update, either that or there are not many healthy Clio's left running LOL.

I thought it would be interesting if people might share their past misfire issues and what resolved them in the end so others can learn from them? Maybe adding original symptoms and eventual cure :cool:

I will hopefully update this later today with the cause of mine too :S

Seat Ibiza
Mine was a HT lead, had a sight crush from plenum but must have broke down over time.

Decent leads cured my hesitation in the mornings too.

SG9 Forester STi
Two different ones:

1. Dodgy injector
2. Water had pooled on top of the spark plugs. How it got there I'll never know! Sucked it out with a straw and it started up fine :approve:.

PH1 172
Dodgy Injector for me

Two different ones:

1. Dodgy injector
2. Water had pooled on top of the spark plugs. How it got there I'll never know! Sucked it out with a straw and it started up fine :approve:.

You do realise the fix for number 2 will most likely start a few comments and if not then CS has changed since I joined lol

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
I developed one on the way home in the pissing rain.
Flashing check light and running like a dog.

I'll run the codes and update when/if its fixed.

My 1st one was water had killed a plug so thinking it could be that again, fingers crossed.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Long story buuuut...

Mine dies at 4000 RPM. Its fast until then, then its like a missfire. Still accelorates but just not fast. I put it into renault and they said it was the altenator, not charging the battery enough therefor the battery didn't have enough power to power the car at the higher revs.
So fair enough, got it booked in as I want the car fixed obviously.

Got the car back tonight and after paying 530 for the new altenator + altenator belt kit, its still not running like it should. The technition now thinks its a faulty spark plug / lead. I'm going to get them tomorrow and hopefully get them fitted. If that doesn't cure my fault then renault shall be getting a nasty phone call!

182 Cup
Had a slight misfire on mine, and was reading a knock sensor fault. New sensor and it went away.

Seat Ibiza
Long story buuuut...

Mine dies at 4000 RPM. Its fast until then, then its like a missfire. Still accelorates but just not fast. I put it into renault and they said it was the altenator, not charging the battery enough therefor the battery didn't have enough power to power the car at the higher revs.
So fair enough, got it booked in as I want the car fixed obviously.

Got the car back tonight and after paying 530 for the new altenator + altenator belt kit, its still not running like it should. The technition now thinks its a faulty spark plug / lead. I'm going to get them tomorrow and hopefully get them fitted. If that doesn't cure my fault then renault shall be getting a nasty phone call!

They'd be getting a bit of a phone call anyway after a £500 bill and the car still not running right!!

HT leads break down after time, hopefully it's just that mate!

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5

My 1st one was water had killed a plug so thinking it could be that again, fingers crossed.

Mine was an Injector.

Clio 172 Cup

Mine was performing just like that and turned out to be leads, I only had them changed during a service 1 week prior to this happening as well, so either they were poor leads or they nipped them replacing the inlet manifold? Either way, car is now running spot on and the fix was at no cost.............Happy days again!!.............until the next fault anyway LOL.

clio 172 sport
Mine was performing just like that and turned out to be leads, I only had them changed during a service 1 week prior to this happening as well, so either they were poor leads or they nipped them replacing the inlet manifold? Either way, car is now running spot on and the fix was at no cost.............Happy days again!!.............until the next fault anyway LOL.

which ht leads did you go for fella , theres a set on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120803704...:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661#ht_2897wt_1180 , just wondering if theres a set of upgrade leads that anyone can suggest on here , the car has had new coil pack and spark plugs , fault code is reading misfire but no other details so i think this will be the next port of call, the last owner done the coil and plugs so think this has to be the next step as its only at idle , car pulls fine while driving , cheers for the suggestions in advance and will add to here if they do cure the problem

Z4
Mine was running rough this morning, had a play around and noticed the ht leads were arcing out, cleaned up etc and it runs good as new :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had loads! lol.

leads arcing out on the inlet, duff coilpack, knackered plugs, lambda sensor (That one took ages to find) and the last one was a bad fuel pump wire. Heat shrink and a cable tie later its as good as new! :D

Stealth 438'd 182
symptoms... intermittent misfire.. be driving fine one minute then no power and spluttering away.. dip the throttle and it would go..some days worse than others

fix: precat lambda sensor was fooked! rattled away and was causing all this grief

easy way to test??

swap post cat and precat lambda sensors around and it should work!

Clio 172 Cup
Quote from craigwestlondon
'which ht leads did you go for fella , theres a set on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1208037043...ht_2897wt_1180 , just wondering if theres a set of upgrade leads that anyone can suggest on here , the car has had new coil pack and spark plugs , fault code is reading misfire but no other details so i think this will be the next port of call, the last owner done the coil and plugs so think this has to be the next step as its only at idle , car pulls fine while driving , cheers for the suggestions in advance and will add to here if they do cure the problem '

I believe the one's fitted now are just standard replacements from Renault mate.

clio 172 sport
right update into my misfire, i found that some one had fitted 3 champion spark plugs and one ngk , and also 3&4 HT leads had been botched repaired , so replace the spark plugs for platinum NGK and a set of red silicone HT leads and there we go , it like driving a new car , think my MPG is gonna go down now i get to play a little

clio 172 sport
lol i was getting 26mpg with the misfire which you would only notice the misfire at idle or when driving only after 4000rpm , 12mpg is some going thou lol