ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to replace my 888's with

What to replace my 888's with?

• Dunlop DZ03G

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Yoko A048

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Toyo 888R

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
Finally got the AR1's.. only had to wait a month for them to come! :down: write up coming soon :up:
25964531450_e00f06f803_n.jpg
IMG_2426 by Andrew Greenwood, on Flickr
26210723566_237cae5374_n.jpg
IMG_2427 by Andrew Greenwood, on Flickr

Interesting! What's the treadwear number on them?

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
These have a treadwear of 80..not sure how good the industry standard is but r888 are 100. I couldn't find the treadwear on 03g's!?
Proof will be in the driving.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Hi guys

Well.. Got the tyres fitted to a set of spare wheels at the weekend..all looked good..went to fit them tonight and it seems I have 4 tyres for the near side wheels!! It looks to me as these should be directional!? :rage: It does say on the tyre which side to the outside..wish the tyre fitter had picked up on this..should of seen it myself.
Will contact the guy in the link tomorrow and see what he says.

Sorry for keeping you all in suspense!:wink:

Clio 182
Hi guys

Well.. Got the tyres fitted to a set of spare wheels at the weekend..all looked good..went to fit them tonight and it seems I have 4 tyres for the near side wheels!! It looks to me as these should be directional!? :rage: It does say on the tyre which side to the outside..wish the tyre fitter had picked up on this..should of seen it myself.

Are they not asymmetric (I.e not directional, but marked with 'outside' on the tyres.....means they can go on any corner).
The new r888r's are the same!

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Yes you were right @JamesBryan and @DCELEC 182 the AR1's are an asymmetric tyre. Seeing as there's not many cuts in the tread pattern they look abit odd from side to side.
The tyres them selfs.. I'd say..in the dry they are on a par with the toyo r888 for grip, they are a quieter road tyre too :up:
Obviously they are awful in standing water and i found not to push the car too much in the wet :down: on a good note I did only buy these for dry days :up:
@StuOwen86,@MarkX and @eon172
I went to FCS last weekend and tried these out on track in the late morning session and the afternoon session doing about 20mins on track 20mins cool down all day. The tyres were great, very predictable and could feel exactly how the car was behaving, they are a screechy tyre... probably my bad driving rather than the tyres. Towards the end of the 20mins I could feel the tyres going off which I haven't experienced with r888..The AR1 tyre did wear really well..didn't have to change tyres for the drive home so they should be good for at least 1 or 2 trackdays and for £70 a corner I'd buy them again :up::up:

Hope what I've written has given you guys an idea
Cheers Andy

Clio 172 (CUP)
Yes you were right @JamesBryan and @DCELEC 182 the AR1's are an asymmetric tyre. Seeing as there's not many cuts in the tread pattern they look abit odd from side to side.
The tyres them selfs.. I'd say..in the dry they are on a par with the toyo r888 for grip, they are a quieter road tyre too :up:
Obviously they are awful in standing water and i found not to push the car too much in the wet :down: on a good note I did only buy these for dry days :up:
I went to FCS last weekend and tried these out on track in the late morning session and the afternoon session doing about 20mins on track 20mins cool down all day. The tyres were great, very predictable and could feel exactly how the car was behaving, they are a screechy tyre... probably my bad driving rather than the tyres. Towards the end of the 20mins I could feel the tyres going off which I haven't experienced with r888..The AR1 tyre did wear really well..didn't have to change tyres for the drive home so they should be good for at least 1 or 2 trackdays and for £70 a corner I'd buy them again :up::up:

Cheers Andy
Thanks for following up. How did they feel from cold compared to the r888's, i.e. for grip and braking when cold? ...I'm thinking suitability for sprinting/hillclimbing as well as track day use. Cheers.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
@eon172 I'd say they are better than r888 from cold on the road and even on the track day they seemed really good from start once I sorted the pressures out. Supposedly they have 80 tread wear..r888's have tread wear of 100. It was a very warm day, I just did a lap or 2 to warm up properly then gave them stick.

Clio 172 (CUP)
@eon172 I'd say they are better than r888 from cold on the road and even on the track day they seemed really good from start once I sorted the pressures out. Supposedly they have 80 tread wear..r888's have tread wear of 100. It was a very warm day, I just did a lap or 2 to warm up properly then gave them stick.
Thanks, I'll put 'em on the short list for the next tyre purchase once my 888s are finished off.

Cheers Andy

Thanks Andy, I have a pair of AR1s here, it'll be a while until I use them though. Funny, I found the NS-2Rs screechy too, it's a Nankang thing lol
Not going off is the reason I bought them, other reviews said they didn't turn to chewing gum as soon as 888s, mine last for about 10 laps and I can feel them losing it, hoped the AR1s would be better in that respect with similar grip levels.

Anyway, here's AR1s for anyone wondering what they look like :)
1CEABCF6-7F29-4F65-BEE9-7CCCE379036C_zpskwwqyxox.jpg

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Those reviews are right @MarkX I found the AR1's had very little rubber deposits over the tyre compared to the r888's. Coming off track the AR1's were very clean, that's maybe why they didn't go off as quick as the r888.

182 trackcar, XC60t6
What about Kumho V70a. Any experience out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk