ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do about 182?

I can't decide what to do. Basically, I planned on selling my 182 around the end of the summer. And leaving the country for at least a year, and possibly not coming back end 2008-ish. So I thought sell the 182 with plenty of time to go, and get a run about.

Now, I've decided I want a 2000(W) plate VTS (old tax charges) and want to pay between £1200 and £2000. Which is possible. Then when I go, let my bro sell it if I don't know anyone who buys it.

I've seen a nice dark blue VTS for sale near me, 2000(W) with speedline rims, basically all it needs is lowering and it would look nice. Plus it has some scratches to the offside wing, but my bro is a body sprayer with his own business, so no worries there. 54k and could get it for £1600 ish I reckon.

Also, my g/f wants a 172 in June/July. She has about £5.5k to spend. Now, I think my 182 is worth about £7k (mint 04 plate, 28k, cup packs) but I'm thinking about selling it to her for about £6k, as she'd be over the moon to have a mint 182.

Only thing is, it would mean selling it earlier than I had planned, and I love it to bits, but it would seem to make sense.

Should I? I can't decide. I know I'll have as much fun in the VTS, and to be honest I am getting fed up with having a mint car that I won't park anywhere etc as I don't want it getting dents and such. I'd like a car I would just "use".

I could buy the Saxo now, and get my bro to fix up the wing, and then get it lowered and then mid June sell the 182 to the missus.

Opinions?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Are you sure the Mrs wants the 182 first? I'd talk it over with her to be fair - make a big point of how she'll have to make up the grand in 'favours' as well ;)

Dan

lol, yeah she wants it. I said she'd have to pay £6k though, so she's borrowing £500 off her rents.

She knows she's got a grand's worth of favours too!!! That will be put into writing.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Personally I wouldnt sell it to her for £1k less, as if it all goes sour then you'll be pissed with yourself...
Just my opinion though.

Da

Less
Hmmm....I dunno really, I know it would piss me off seeing my ex (mint) car get potentially abused if I sold it to a family member or a close friend.
I'd prefer never to see it again to be honest.

Can you not keep the 182 till you go, then sell it to her skipping the need for a saxo?

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Sell it to your Mrs.

You will still get to drive it and it'll save you the pain of trying to sell it as there are plenty of 1*2's about, so your probably end up letting it go for £6k anyway.

Can you not keep the 182 till you go, then sell it to her skipping the need for a saxo?

No, she can't wait until December/January for another car.

To be honest, I doubt I'll get much more than £6k for it with the market as it is anyway. They're just not selling.

I know she'll look after it. Although, maybe you're right about not wanting to see it again.

The other option is to get her a mint 172 for circa £5k and then put mine up for sale near the end of August, and just hope I get more than £6k lol. But I can't keep the 182 and sell it after I've left, as I'm going to need as much money as possible when I go.

it'll save you the pain of trying to sell it as there are plenty of 1*2's about, so your probably end up letting it go for £6k anyway.

That's what I'm thinking. It may be worth £7k, but I doubt it'd go for that tbh.

I'll just have to teach her how to use a wash mitt, and make her buy proper cleaning products lol.

I thought you would be selling it around august, meaning she would only need to wait a month or two?

If thats not possible then I still think it would be better to sell it to her and get a runabout for yourself.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
it'll save you the pain of trying to sell it as there are plenty of 1*2's about, so your probably end up letting it go for £6k anyway.

That's what I'm thinking. It may be worth £7k, but I doubt it'd go for that tbh.

I'll just have to teach her how to use a wash mitt, and make her buy proper cleaning products lol.

I sold my 172 for around £700 less than what I thought it was worth, as I needed it gone and the money to get the Meg that week.

It's all about what works for you.

My Mrs was the same, she wanted my 172. But that wasn't going to work as she doesn't even know what a wash mitt looks like and i'd been stuck with her Corsa. lol

53 Clio's & counting
tough one bud, will she look after it as much as you would see fit matey? i mean there would be nothing worse than being asked to fix curbiing marks or scratches out your old car lol

i would say get it up for sale now and hold out for the price you want,with how prices are going you will be able to get her a mint decent 172c for the money she has no problem,and yours will sell as it is in very good nick, i know she is your other half mate but if you need the money i would def sell it for what its worth

that might sound a little harsh but with how CS prices are then your not gong to have a problem getting a decent one, and that way you wont have to see your old car everyday lol

Da

Less
Give her the paxo until you leave! Then she can buy the 182 and sell the paxo via your brother etc etc... :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You will love the saxo mate i got rid of mine to make way for the Clio.

There an absolute blast to drive and uber quick (7.4 to 60) obviously not as torquey as the 172 or 182 but very capable.

Lowering is first port of call...

The bottom is really falling out of the market at the moment by the look of things and there seems to be a lot of 182s out there at the moment for stupid money. Take the money now rather than wait for the market to get worse by the end of the summer, or is it only on this forum that a car seems to depreciate a grand a month in all of the "I want a 182 for £5k" threads I've read.

As an ex VTS owner you won't be dissapointed, though expect it to rattle more and if you hear any dodgy noises the only solution is to turn the radio up ;)

The bottom is really falling out of the market at the moment by the look of things and there seems to be a lot of 182s out there at the moment for stupid money. Take the money now rather than wait for the market to get worse by the end of the summer, or is it only on this forum that a car seems to depreciate a grand a month in all of the "I want a 182 for £5k" threads I've read.

Yeah, I've looked on autotrader, and to be honest I actually think I may struggle getting £7k. There are 04 182's with over 30k on the clock for £7800 etc, but I bet they're not selling. And Trophys are now about £9k!!

From what I can see, pricing it at £7k and accepting £6800 would be reasonable, BUT for all I know, I could not have any interest for months. I would be happy to get £6500 for it, maybe I should see if she can stretch. At the end of the day, if she pays the money, it's her car, even though it may break my heart lol.

I know I'll like the VTS, I previously had a 106 GTi, and it's the most fun I've ever had lol. Hence me getting excited about finding this VTS near me.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
LOL you dont park it ANYWHERE as you don't want dents etc?

It's not a lambo mate lol.
Anyway, why are you leaving the country and stuff anyway if you have a nice car, girlfriend etc?

Drive a VTS first ? I had the exact same plan, drove a VTS again ( had one for a year ) now im keeping the clio lol

Inferno Orange 182 FF
its upto u! id keep the clio snd then sell it when needed, deffo not to a gf for a grand less, ive lent my bf (now x) £600 and im never gettin that back, i did that as a favour! just dont bother! lol but i wouldnt go with a saxo, too many chavs have them plus the resale value will prob be less as more and more saxos are around and wanted.... just an idea

LOL you dont park it ANYWHERE as you don't want dents etc?

It's not a lambo mate lol.
Anyway, why are you leaving the country and stuff anyway if you have a nice car, girlfriend etc?

I am aware, but unfortunatly I like to look after my possessions and having a mint example, I want to keep it that way. I usually visit 2-3 car parks to find a space I'm happy with. I know I'm not alone on here!

Drive a VTS first ? I had the exact same plan, drove a VTS again ( had one for a year ) now im keeping the clio lol

Read back. I'm emigrating, so need to raise as much capital as possible.

its upto u! id keep the clio snd then sell it when needed, deffo not to a gf for a grand less, ive lent my bf (now x) £600 and im never gettin that back, i did that as a favour! just dont bother! lol but i wouldnt go with a saxo, too many chavs have them plus the resale value will prob be less as more and more saxos are around and wanted.... just an idea

Well, I need to sell it about August. But I agree about selling it for less. I may ask and see if she can go to £6500, which is what I would accept anyway.

Inferno Orange 182 FF
xzibit said:

Well, I need to sell it about August. But I agree about selling it for less. I may ask and see if she can go to £6500, which is what I would accept anyway.
yeh i would! just to be on the safe side! is she moving with u or stayin put?