ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to buy? ITBs...

350z, Subaru Legacy
Ok so I need to buy a new car.

There's a 90% it will be a Clio, and I am a sucker for the 182 tailpipes and struggle with the idea of the Cup interior...

So let's assume it would be a 182 (FF preferably). I do love RB and have owned 2 in this colour already but having a hard time finding one that has particularly grabbed my attention.

My original plan with the last Clio was to go down the ITB route which is expensive and doesn't give you the greatest gains I know - but I love the noise and just how motorsport they are.

One of the problems is - that I do about 25,000 miles a year. Now I could potentially get the train to work or get a 1.0ltr/diesel for commuting; and in that case I could probably afford to just get something turbocharged aka a megane...

One thing I'm concious of is that if I mod my car every couple of months that I will have done so many miles inbetween - and I'm sure it's probably ideal to do lot's of work at the same time, when it comes to performance mods anyway...

At the moment there are a couple of Clio's up for sale with ITB conversions already done. However both have fairly high mileage. And I'm well aware that over 3 years I'd be doing around 75,000 miles. On the flipside they look well maintained and I'd avoid all the expensive/slow modding work myself.

The things I would use the car for are:

Driving to work - say around 75miles a day, dual carriageway.

Driving extremely fast around my local bumpy/ dusty 1 track backroads(private etc. blah...) this is pretty much a daily or rather very late at nightly occurence.

Possibly the occasional track day - but not a lot of pull for these as my local roads are so fun.

I mean I could just get a fairly standard one - decat, panel filter, matched inlets, brakes etc. and it be good fun, but I want more performance.

What are ITBs like for daily driving - like how much of a difference fuel wise? And what sort of mechanical/electrical worries are there if any? Petrol is a major concern for me and the main reason I don't currently have some sort of turbo.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments/opinions/CS Police :rasp:

Cheers,

350z, Subaru Legacy
Yeah I've salivated over his already lol. But concerned re-miles... :S

Also my mate has an Arctic 182, so almost put off that colour - WAY too picky aren't I?

Doubt Dave's is going to stay on sale for long either!!

I need guidance lol!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you know you want bodies, and dont buy Dave's your a doughnut! Its going to cost you so much more to buy one and get it to such a standard. Plus on the miles its on now its just coming into it's prime ;)

His is so smooth in the way it delivers the power, it's better than a standard 182. And perfectly liveable with as a daily.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
nope backwards and forwards between buckingham and aylesbury part throttle in traffic. no bs either, worked it out properly using an app on my phone. i had a heavy week last week and it averaged 24 tho!

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
And if your worried about the electrical side of things, which is generally where the issues occur, speak to any one that has seen any of matt @ TDF's work, he really knows his stuff. Plus the EC1 is a far far superior ECU to the omex. No dash lights here thank you!

350z, Subaru Legacy
And if your worried about the electrical side of things, which is generally where the issues occur, speak to any one that has seen any of matt @ TDF's work, he really knows his stuff. Plus the EC1 is a far far superior ECU to the omex. No dash lights here thank you!

Great cheers, :approve:

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
I'm gonna be a dad mate, so have put the car up as i want to get something 4 door. Put it up early as Im in no rush, and will not be dropping the price. Its worth every penny!

Gay Clio 172 phs1
ITB's are only as good as the map, mines fully stripped, no dash, two omp wrc seats and 3" 4 point harnesses which is used daily to and from work. Fuel isnt too bad in honesty but with £1.32 a litre around here now its getting annoying, I'm tempted to put mine up for sale shortly or just break it as I'm bored with it unless I decide to get a supermoto for work. Oh and it was cheaper to run over my evo, but the evo was a much better toy.