ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What sort of realistic gains..

200 FF Storm Grey
Could you expect from..

Pipercross Panel Filter
Matched Inlets
Silenced De-cat
Yozza Cat-Back
RS tuner re-map

Just curious as looking to have the above carried out next month.

I'm expecting 20bhp?

200 FF Storm Grey
Really? :-\

I've seen the RS tuner map advertise 15bhp gains alone, which I know is very hopeful but surely 5bhp from the exhaust/de-cat/filter, another 7 or 8 from the inlets and then RS tuner to take it upto 20? Or so I thought

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Really? :-\

I've seen the RS tuner map advertise 15bhp gains alone, which I know is very hopeful but surely 5bhp from the exhaust/de-cat/filter, another 7 or 8 from the inlets and then RS tuner to take it upto 20? Or so I thought

15 bhp improvements at different points in the rev range, particularly bottom end

Fiesta ST-2
Well I've got the RS192 (+10), RS Tuner (+15) coming this week, JMS Induction kit soon too (+10). So that should see me well past 200bhp?... rofl. It will be noticeably different with your mods, forget about the numbers.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Your 182 may have RS stamped inlets aswell, these were slightly better than the non stamped ones, so show less of a gain.

Only way to tell is to go to a rolling road, do a power run, fit the mods and do a second power run and overlay the graphs.

ITB'd 182...
8 BHP at a guess?

A bit smoother mid range but not alot tbh.

Should sound alot meaty though?!?

320d
I'm sure you'll notice a difference. Really though if your looking for proper gains you need to be looking at ITB's, Supercharger or turbo conversion. All of which cost a lot of £££

Personally i've got a ktec stealth, purely for the noise, and apart from that a standard engine. I wouldn't personally bother trying to go for performance gains without doing it properly. Albeit the things your after are suposed to increase drivability a lot.

E90
Renault have been basically using the same engine for donkeys years, and keep fiddling to make it faster and faster each revision, chances are if it aint already been done by Renault it aint worth doing. As said above not worth it without spending silly money on doing it reet, and even then its minimal gains compared to what you'd get if you spent that much on a turbo charged car.

Ph1
Adding up the plus what each mod should give on its own then coming up with a grand total figure, it dosent work like that unfortunately :(

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I hate to say this again but it really does sum up normally asspirated engines.

There is no subsitute for cubic capacity, my dad said to me years ago, if you want to go fast, buy a fast car

Nissan 350z
Yup totally agree with Danny.

Im getting an induction kit for the noise not the gains, hopefully getting a remap to cure the cold start not the gains. And ive got a SS catback to replace the rotting OEM not for gains.

If your interested in gains you need to go down the route of ITBs, Catcams etc.

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
i had a filter, full janspeed system, decat, and a remap cost me a few bob and wishd i hadnt bothered didnt feel any faster at all and to be honest it wasnt end of the day as danny 172 says na engines are non tunable in the long run buy a turbod car and ure sorted :)

Ph1
I hate to say this again but it really does sum up normally asspirated engines.

There is no subsitute for cubic capacity, my dad said to me years ago, if you want to go fast, buy a fast car

Thats total rubbish. These engines are tuneable, you just have to spend money on the right mods to get it

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
of course there tuneable but wat realistic gains do u get from spending a fortune on cams etc ?? all i need to do with my vxr is a simple map and it sees 270ish clio would never see that without a 5k turbo conversion i think that was basicly the guys point

1.4 phase 1
the problem with clios really want big gains from mods then you must spend big money.

Da

Less
Everyone knows tuning an F4R is expensive, doesn't mean it's pointless.

As for the OP, I think you'll be lucky to hit 182 @ the fly with those mods.

200 FF Storm Grey
Ok cheers guys, 2bh I aint all that fussed about more power, but for the money I thought it might of been worth it although I fully understand than it real terms it'll be a better drive to the low down power.

Think i'm 1 of the lucky one's to have a decent standard engine though, seems to fair well agaisnt the big boys, think a rolling road is in order though just to cure my curiosity

Ph1
of course there tuneable but wat realistic gains do u get from spending a fortune on cams etc ?? all i need to do with my vxr is a simple map and it sees 270ish clio would never see that without a 5k turbo conversion i think that was basicly the guys point

On the other hand a 2k Clio and a 4k Supercharger conversion makes your VXR seem a very expensive option ;)

Cams you can get good gains but not impressive peak pub talk figures plus a lot of work to fit. Iv got cams with other basic mods and its turned over a lot of bigger stuff with turbo's it had no right to

E90
On the other hand a 2k Clio and a 4k Supercharger conversion makes your VXR seem a very expensive option ;)

Cams you can get good gains but not impressive peak pub talk figures plus a lot of work to fit. Iv got cams with other basic mods and its turned over a lot of bigger stuff with turbo's it had no right to

I had a mate with a 1000 pound 200 sx, and not much more than 2 k in mods that had 300 hp ish, the point being?

E90
The point he was making is that there are alot of cars out there that can be modded for bigger gains alot cheaper than a clio, as you mentioned his expensive VXR option, I thought I would counter that. The simple fact is, you have to throw silly money at a clio for gains, and even with a supercharger/TC or ITB's you can only go so far.

Matt black got big gains, that was from a T/C audi engine.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thats total rubbish. These engines are tuneable, you just have to spend money on the right mods to get it

Tell me how without the aid of a turbo/supercharger then?

Engines have limitations the Clio is no different.

The F4R is a great engine but as weeman rightfully stated, unless Renault have done it already then its a waste of time

200 FF Storm Grey
Tell that to NW performance, 0-60 4.2 seconds lol, granted it took money but still the same engine (well 4th of but you get what i'm saying...)

E90
Tell that to NW performance, 0-60 4.2 seconds lol, granted it took money but still the same engine (well 4th of but you get what i'm saying...)

I could throw enough money at my diesel volvo and make it do 0-60 in that time.

Cammed 182 :)

A remap on a astra vxr woulnt see 270bhp mate they dont produce book power i have seen one with remap and charge cooler made 241bhp at the fly

Jap Shed
im sure matched inlets made a big difference, I kept up with some quick stuff at cadwell friday and thats my only engine mod

Listerine & Poledo
Would it not be better to chuck in a new cam and remap that?
like morego or K-tec do?

other than that, yeah, superchargers. Boost, the honest way

Italian 3.2 V6
What would a camed (190bhp~) 1*2 main rivals be?

R26 / Golf GTI ed30 pace?

What have u 190bhp boys been Evenly up against?

PSJ.

Iceberg 172
As said previously, forget peak bhp figures. They're for internet bragging.

My polo was 300 bhp but was undriveable on the road.

Plus it's all about the power curve / delivery - that's where rolling roads are useful. People are far too hung up over peak bhp figures. They mean diddly squat!