ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What sausage filter on AT bodies with aircon

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Hi,

Idealy I want to remove my aircon but if I do go down the bodies route this isnt going to happen right away. What sausage filters are people running on AT bodies with the aircon still fitted? I know ben has a pipercross px600 filter with a modifed backplate so im speaking to Jamsport about this, the Ktec filter is meant to be pants otherwise that looked like an easy win. I want to stay away from socks as everyone says they are awful!

Any other ideas? Im hoping Jamsport will come back with a good price for the modifed backplate and px600 setup.

Dan

You can offset cut the back plate to move the filter relative to the bodies and relieve the edges along with the alternator bracket but it's still much closer than I'd like and a lot of arsing about!

Nissan Skyline
Jamsport will know the best as they did it to Ben's car. I haven't had chance to do it on our car yet, so its still running the socks and the standard unmodified slam panel.

The KTech ITG filter should be OK as long as you can keep it from sliding down the ram pipes. This might be easiest with some cables ties underneath, but if you're not careful it may end up looking a bit pikey.

Nissan Skyline
The Ktec one has been known to fall apart though and put mesh into the engine, never good!

I've never heard that, but haven't really looked into them. I had a look at one of those filters not too long ago at a rally show and it looked OK to me. I would think that damage caused to the filter by improper fitment/squashing etc to get it to fit on (or damage caused by it moving around under the engine bay during use) may cause the meshing to become partially detached, but I'm not sure how part of that mesh could break off from the rest of the insert and end up down the inlet. As long as the filter isn't moving around or rubbing up against anything it should be OK for life.

But I have never used one of those type so can't really comment. I would always recommend using a filter with a backplate if you can fit it in. That way it is much stronger and won't move around.

Coupe/Defender V8
The Ktec one has been known to fall apart though and put mesh into the engine, never good!

Correction the mk1 filter from K-Tec is what you are referring to - made by pipercross.

The mesh wasn't strong enough - I got quite lucky.

Although it took their car to blow up for them to take note ;)

the ITG alternative - top brand can't imagine there being any issues there

Nissan Skyline

I didn't realise they had used pipercross before hand. I have only seen the ITG one, so that makes sense to me. I agree ITG are the best quality foam filters I have seen.

Clio 172
Correction the mk1 filter from K-Tec is what you are referring to - made by pipercross.

Happened to me too, Engine swalled and spat out the foam and i was lucky enough to fish out most of the mesh from the head. So far theres no real damage performance wise so i think i had a very lucky escape.

I'm now using an ITG sausage filter with Alu back plate fitted with grommets over the trumpets to clear the fuel rail. Speak to ITG themselves as they are very helpful and will sort what you need no problem.

The only mod i had to make to my standard radiator was cut a little section from the fan shroud to clear the filter. I will be getting a new custom built rad soon though.

HBT 172 Cup
You on about the PIpercross PX600 series ari filter? never had a problem with mine, meshing seems perfectly sturdy? My mate uses it too and has never had a problem?

Nissan Skyline
No, not the PX600. This is a filter made entirely of foam, with some meshing inside to give it some strength. There is no backplate, or outer "frame" to support the filter foam. The "backplate" is another panel of foam with holes cut into it that you stretch over the ram pipes and it supports itself like that.

We use Pipercross filters in all our applications and are very happy with them. There were some issues however with the panel filters for the standard ph2 airbox - the rubber edge was beginning to separate from the filter element, but I think it has been rectified now.

I observed a Ktec unit (also made by pipercross I believe) doing the same thing about 2-3 months ago too.

Coupe/Defender V8
You on about the PIpercross PX600 series ari filter? never had a problem with mine, meshing seems perfectly sturdy? My mate uses it too and has never had a problem?

No, x600 is of a higher standard. These are different. Resembles the 550 more but I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's the same product sorry. It wasn't the greatest thing in the world lets just leave it there lol

Coupe/Defender V8
We use Pipercross filters in all our applications and are very happy with them. There were some issues however with the panel filters for the standard ph2 airbox - the rubber edge was beginning to separate from the filter element, but I think it has been rectified now.

I observed a Ktec unit (also made by pipercross I believe) doing the same thing about 2-3 months ago too.

I'm using the individual universal socks from Pipercross and they're fine - restrictive but good quality

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

Our car never blew up :rolleyes:. It is still being used today on the same set up it has always had bar the Pipercross filter, in which they used very poor mesh despite assuring us it would be fine. We found some of their mesh in the cat :eek: but the engine was fine, amazingly.

The new filter is made for us by ITG and comes with some foam spacer rings to stop the filter sliding down the trumpets.

Hope this clears up a few things.

David.

53 Clio's & counting
David, what are the spacer rings you speak of? I have your new filter and unfortunately it slides down the trumpets and looses 12 bhp for me :(

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
They are just rings of foam that slide onto the trumpets and sit behind the filter to stop it sliding down. We have just found out ITG sent some of the first filters out without them so if you need some just give me a call in the morning and I will get some posted to you.

David.

ITB'd 182...
They are just rings of foam that slide onto the trumpets and sit behind the filter to stop it sliding down. We have just found out ITG sent some of the first filters out without them so if you need some just give me a call in the morning and I will get some posted to you.

David.

I didnt recieved these either?

Any chance i can get them sent out if a PM you my address please?

Ryan.

Coupe/Defender V8
Our car never blew up :rolleyes:. It is still being used today on the same set up it has always had bar the Pipercross filter, in which they used very poor mesh despite assuring us it would be fine. We found some of their mesh in the cat :eek: but the engine was fine, amazingly.

The new filter is made for us by ITG and comes with some foam spacer rings to stop the filter sliding down the trumpets.

Hope this clears up a few things.

David.

Ah right. I was going on what I was told that the mesh was sucked into the engine - there was a wink there.

I was correcting DannyR's comments about the filters being defective as this is obviously no longer the case thankfully