ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What products? Starting my collection

172 cup
Ok so this May of been covered but over many different posts and ways so I need help putting together my own personal list of products, I'm going for a no expense spared as it's going to take a while to put together

NOTE: new to detailing so bare with me :rasp:

Shampoo - ?
Snow foam -?
Wax - ?
Polish - ?
Wheel cleaner - ?
Tar remover - ?
Clay bar - ?
Wash mitt - ?
Wheel brush - ?
Trim restorer - ?
Tyre blackener - ?
Glass cleaner - ?
Anything I've missed - ??

Thanks in advance

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Also fairly new but been looking around detailing for ages and IMO and from what i've been told to buy

Shampoo - I like autoglym car shampoo
Snow foam -?
Wax - Depends on budget really! Im waiting to get some HD Wax by Autoglym
Polish - I use super resin polish by Autoglym but im sure theres some better ones out there!
Wheel cleaner - Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels (Believe its a purple spray) http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=225510
Tar remover - ?
Clay bar - ?
Wash mitt - Lambs Wool Mitt
Wheel brush - ?
Trim restorer - Gtechniq C4 for the best semi permanent one
Tyre blackener - Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
Glass cleaner - I know Comma Glass Cleaner is recommended by Autoglass, but im sure theres others out there too that other people can help with!

Sorry if i've not been too helpful!

Not a 320d
michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

AB Clio 182
Shampoo - Megs Gold class
Snow foam -Autobrite Magifoam
Wax - Used Poorboys World Natty's paste wax for a while, got some Kleanfreakz wax to try out, apparently a very good wax.
Polish - Dodo Juice Lime Prime
Wheel cleaner - Kleanfreakz, acid free and works brilliantly!
Clay bar - Dodo Juice clay kit.
Wash mitt - Just got mine out of tescos, can't remember the brand.
Wheel brush - Halfrauds.
Tyre blackener - Megs Endurance tyre gel, lasts a while and smells amazing!
Glass cleaner - Megs High Clarity glass cleaner.

Microfibre towels ect from asda, cheap as f**k and work fine.
Hope this helps.

172 cup
Hmm not sure if thats serious or not! Didn't seem too helpful haha!

This drying towel is amazing though! http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0030B9U6Q/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I dry my whole clio patting it down with this and I reckon it could do another easily!

lol was serious mate, I don't want all the products from one person I want a mix of views, I do like the look of that wonder wheels and meg tyre gel

And that towel is cheap jeez would be silly not to try it!
thanks

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Ah okay :) If I was starting a collection id definitely get a couple of those drying towels as it really amazed me how much they can absorb leaving the car totally dry, and for only £2.99 each with free postage! Meguiars tyre gel is good, used that a few times now, just gotta be sure the tyres are 100% dry when you apply or it doesn't last long. Tried all those "Spray on shine" products and none really did anything I noticed to be honest. Could be worth looking at a decent sealant for your car? I'm using Autoglym extra gloss protection and i'm sure there's others that are probably better for more money but i'm happy with it! Going to pick up some of that wonder wheels stuff myself soon so will post on here the differences I achieve :) Got to ignore my awful mahonia 15" alloys though!

Not a 320d
Ok, not often I help out here anymore because no one gives a s**t.....

Get your wash technique sorted first. No point in removing swirls only to remove them again.

Shampoo:

BTBM - Leaves no wax or sealant deposits and leaves your wax/sealant to do the protecting, really is kind to wax. My personal Favorute. Expensive and only in 1L, 500ml, 250ml.
Gtechniq G wash - Slightly cheaper and similar to BTBM.... Something doesn't cut it though, I think BTBM is nicer.
Shampoo Plus -Best Bulk Out there IMO. Has gloss enhancers IIRC.
HyperWash - Second Best. Better dilution ratio, but always seemed to me pretty harsh to wax.
Zymol Auto Wash (Dark Green not light green). My favorite off the shelf shampoo at halfrauds.

Snow foam -?
G101 with hot water as a pre-wash in a sprayer. Nothing else comes close or doesnt rape wax.
Daemon Shine RDS - Good alternative
Auto Finesse Citrus Power - Fucked my paintwork up good and proper when it was really hot during the summer.
Anything else is a waste of money

Wax - ?
If you LIKE waxing and have the TIME for waxing...... Zymol Carbon....My favorite. Lasts long enough to be durable and cheap enough to wax whenever you feel like it (IE every week)
Autoglym HD wax.
FK1000p
In that order. Don't bother with anything else....
Sonax BSD.....:cool:

Polish - ?
Machine polishing varied car to car... but hand polish see below...
Black Fire GEP - Best filler/Cleaner available Out there but pricey at about £22
Autoglym Super Resin Polish - Like AF tripple but has a slight cut to it, so is better for paintwork cleaning, removing oxidization on red paint and removing some stubborn marks.
AF tripple.. AIO, so Fills, cleans and polishes in one. Great Stuff

Wheel cleaner - ?
Sonax Full Effect - Too expensive for some people but its all I ever use now, like Iron X but not lethal.
Iron X if you can afford it - Will decimate 'pitting' and that yellow/orange bakes on dust. Not for regular use.
Espuma Revolution - Lethal s**t. Removes everything except pitting (iron deposits). Not for regular use. Expensive too
Bilberry. The bitches wheel cleaner. Useful only for removing brake dust. Wont touch burned on yellow s**t.

Tar remover -
AutoSmart Tardis
AutoSmart Tardis
Did I mention Autosmart tardis

Clay bar -
One of the 3 available Bilthambers depending on requirements.....
Unless your paint is proper fucked then Megs Red. Only use of machine polishing after cause that s**t will marr your paint to f**k.

Wash mitt -
Baller Large - Dodo Wookie
Baller Small - Eurow with thumb
Pro Sponge - The black one on Elite Car Care is my favorite. All I ever use.

Wheel brush -

Any Small round detailing brush, an EZ 'GO' brush if itll fit is the best one. Or a mini. Avoid the larger one.
Microfibre cloth to get round the back of the wheels.

Trim restorer -
Gtechniq C4.
That Auto finesse revive? one if you're one a budget.
Dont consider anything else.

Tyre blackener -
Megs Endurance
Megs Endurance
Megs Endurance
Megs Endurance
Did I mention........

Glass cleaner -
AF Crystal - Best one IMO
AG Fast Glass or 3M aerosol off the shelf.

If youre not going to machine polish then you need a pre cleaner, ideally with a filler (See the 3 I mentioned, then top with a wax, sealant, or spray sealant. Like BSD :quiet:)

Not a 320d
Oh yer drying towels...

The yellow £12 ones from i4d or Polished Bliss, or stretch to a mammoth as they last much longer. Had mine for a year now but they are due to be replaced after ive polished in spring.

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
Shampoo - Dodo juice born to be mild
Snow foam - valet pro advanced neutral snow foam
Wax - Carpro Reload or GTechniq C2
Polish - GTechniq P1
Wheel cleaner - Autofinesse imperial & carpro Ironx
Tar remover - Carpro tarX
Clay bar - megs clay kit
Wash mitt - halfords grey lambswool mit
Wheel brush - EZ Detail Wheel brush and envy detail 5x detail brushes
Trim restorer - Autofinesse Revive
Tyre blackener - Megs Endurance
Glass cleaner - Autofinesse crystal

DRYING TOWEL - i4detailing uber yellow towel
IRON AND FALLOUT REMOVER - Carpro IronX

search and you should find lots of threads for suggestions for new starters

Arctic 182
Cliotoby - thread hijack (sorry OP) & pick your brains if I may. Do you rate Autobrite magifoam at all? I've got some on order but seeing your above post makes me think I should have gotten something else.
Cheers.

(I wish someone would have told me not to get into it...)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Magifoam is an awesome product, it clings for ages (leaving you plenty of time for shuts/wheels etc) and it actually cleans too.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
for me i use

Shampoo - Dodo juice born to be mild or Gwash

Snow foam - dont use one
Wax - Carpro Reload or GTechniq C2v3
Polish - GTechniq P1 or auto glym super polish resin
Wheel cleaner - wonder wheels hot wheels carpro Ironx once clean just use shampoo
Tar remover - Carpro tarX
Clay bar - megs clay kit
Wash mitt - gtechniqs long hair merino wash mitt
Wheel brush - asda big wheel brush and a 1"brush
Trim restorer - gtechniq t1
Tyre blackener - gtechniq t1 or Megs Endurance
Glass cleaner - Auto glym glass polish
GLASS PROTECTION- gtechniq g1

DRYING TOWEL - i4detailing uber yellow towel and asda towels
IRON AND FALLOUT REMOVER - Carpro IronX or trix

172 cup
@Cliotoby wow what a response that information is enough to keep me going for a while, yes starting to think detailing is a bad idea lol, but IMO no matter what you do to a car it'll never look better than when it's clean,

also in which order should things be done and are there any two things that should be done in the same clean?

im guessing snow foam, wheels, tardis, shampoo, dry, clay bar, wax, polish ???? ughh I give up please would you arrange and add in the missing :)

Edit: also would you be able to explain the G101 are you saying not to use a snow foam ? Had a little read on the description of it but can't find a lot only that it says for professional use :S

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
@Cliotoby - thread hijack (sorry OP) & pick your brains if I may. Do you rate Autobrite magifoam at all? I've got some on order but seeing your above post makes me think I should have gotten something else.
Cheers.

(I wish someone would have told me not to get into it...)

@Cliotoby wow what a response that information is enough to keep me going for a while, yes starting to think detailing is a bad idea lol, but IMO no matter what you do to a car it'll never look better than when it's clean,

also in which order should things be done and are there any two things that should be done in the same clean?

im guessing snow foam, wheels, tardis, shampoo, dry, clay bar, wax, polish ???? ughh I give up please would you arrange and add in the missing :)

Edit: also would you be able to explain the G101 are you saying not to use a snow foam ? Had a little read on the description of it but can't find a lot only that it says for professional use :S

thanks for the help!

Some people rate snowfoam mate. Only thing its good for in my book is removing polish dust following a machine polish. I always thought it was a waste of time and money but then Im not one to talk. G101 with hot water is a great de-greaser, spray on a panel, leave it to dwell and then pressure wash off. Its also an all purpose cleaner so can be used for all sorts of s**t like cleaning your wheels, tyres, interior fabrics and plastics, leather etc, kill two birds with one stone and all that. Im not saying you shouldn't bother with snowfoam but I think youll get bored of it and wish youd spent your £50 elsewhere. Dilutes VERY well too.

Never used that autobrite. Tried the PH Neutral, the regular CYC stuff and the Citrus stuff from i4d, also got that AF Avalanche too but thought that wasnt much good. The citrus stuff was probably the best of the bunch.

If you use a pressure washer and get rid of any lose dirt, perhaps using G101 like I said to remove anything a little more stubborn then a careful 2BM wash should see your car suffer minimal swirling.

Also drying towels...... treat them better than you do your car as thats where most of the damage comes from IME, dont buy waffle (Like the Sonax Der Wunder), either. I wash mine after each use in the washer with NO detergent then leave them in a plastic box so they stay clean. Prefer them when they are a little damp too as I dont think they work as well dry so leave the lid on.

Gally wrote a guide, its in the stickys about washing. And also Rich's guide...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?576095-The-Cleaning-Guide

TTRS & V50
Shampoo - Zymol - Z7 - epic suds, nothing worse than washing your car with water and lube (AF Lather).
Snow foam - Autobrite Magifoam
Wax - AF Tough Coat
Polish - AG SRP - Not experimented with any TBH.
Wheel cleaner - Bilberry
Tar remover - AF AbliTARate
Clay bar - Megs - Again, not experimented with any.
Wash mitt - CYC - premium lambswool mitt.
Wheel brush - EZ wheel brush and Valet Pro inch round
Trim restorer - Megs - forgot what it's called.
Tyre blackener - Megs Tyre Gel
Glass cleaner - AG
Anything I've missed - Yes, Towels, CYC large blue towels, excellent.

Thanks in advance

As quoted.

Most of my stuff is budget, but produces a half decent finish. I can't bring myself to spend big money on cleaning products when the cars bodywork isn't perfect!

As has been said above, make sure you've got your wash/ dry method bob on before you go correcting the paintwork, you'll only be wasting your time.

Shampoo - Gwash or Meg's Gold Class

Snow foam -N/A
Wax - Poorboy's Natty or Chemical Guys XXX
Polish - A range of Menzerna polishes with Chemical guys hex pads.
Wheel cleaner - Meguiar's Hot Rims/ IronX. I also find cheap kitchen and bathroom cleaner works better than a lot of wheel cleaners, just be careful with it.
Tar remover - Tardis
Clay bar - Carpro 3 pack
Wash mitt - Some lambswool thing
Wheel brush - Just some cheap generic things, soft toothbrush for the awkward areas!
Trim restorer - Take it off and spray with satin black paint.
Tyre blackener - Autogylm
Glass cleaner - Mr Muscle
Anything I've missed - Sonus Glaze. AMdetails Sealant.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Shampoo - Zymol - Z7 - epic suds, nothing worse than washing your car with water and lube (AF Lather).

Please don't confuse opinion with fact. Stating a product is poor for reasons that doesn't make it so is misleading and cofusing to those with lesser knowledge or experience than yourself.

If you prefer a shampoo that is very sudsy that's fine, but doesn't make those hat are not poor products. It's personal preference with 99% of products

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Shampoo - NOT autoglym bodywork shampoo, it f***s your last stage protection as I've found. I'm trying auto finesse lather next
Snow foam - can't help sorry, something PH neutral
Wax - dodo juice tinted waxes are brilliant IMO, get one a similar colour to the flake in your paint. I've been testing auto finesse spirit over winter and I think it's awesome, but it's quite pricey
Polish - can't go wrong with ag srp, but I'm moving to autofinesse tripple next. These are all in ones (polish, protection, glaze) as opposed to a 'true' polishing compound for use with machine polishers
Wheel cleaner - auto finesse verso can be diluted to suit application (wheels, interior, engine, arches etc) very versatile
Tar remover - auto smart tardis
Clay bar - can't help sorry
Wash mitt - can't help sorry
Wheel brush - can't help sorry
Trim restorer - c4 for permanent protection, but make sure you prep the surface properly with IPA first otherwise you're pissing money away. I'm using auto finesse revive, applied some time in dec and it's still black and beading brilliantly
Tyre blackener - af revive can be used, I also like turtle wax bumper and tyre gel for the smell, turtle wax black in a flash is an awesome, quick to apply treatment
Glass cleaner - any, I currently use rainx for ease of use
Anything I've missed - fallout remover - iron x. Carpro is it?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
To save constantly repeating others but going from lots of recommendations.

Wheel Brush - Wheel Woolies from Polished Bliss (Pricey but you said you're prepared to spend money)

Clay - Bilt Hamber

Shampoo - AF Lather or Hubikote, I really like both but am favouring Hubikote at the mo.

Wax - Too many!! Need a budget to be able to advise really.

Glass cleaner - I use either AF Crystal or Carpro Eraser, Seal it after with GT G1 or 5.

Not covering everything as I'll be repeating others on a lot.

Be prepared to spend a fair amount but research before buying to avoid buying and then replacing, I rushed a few purchases and then bought again :(

Clio World Series
Ok so this May of been covered but over many different posts and ways so I need help putting together my own personal list of products, I'm going for a no expense spared as it's going to take a while to put together

NOTE: new to detailing so bare with me :rasp:

Shampoo - ?
Snow foam -?
Wax - ?
Polish - ?
Wheel cleaner - ?
Tar remover - ?
Clay bar - ?
Wash mitt - ?
Wheel brush - ?
Trim restorer - ?
Tyre blackener - ?
Glass cleaner - ?

Thanks in advance

Hi mate try
http://www.bearswaxfactory.co.uk/angelwax-37-c.asp

Angelwax range is good.

TTRS & V50
Please don't confuse opinion with fact. Stating a product is poor for reasons that doesn't make it so is misleading and cofusing to those with lesser knowledge or experience than yourself.

If you prefer a shampoo that is very sudsy that's fine, but doesn't make those hat are not poor products. It's personal preference with 99% of products

No where did I say it is "poor". Also, if you take a post from an internet forum as fact over opinion, then you are deluded.

Thanks for the concern however.

172 cup
Thanks guys still could do with a wash order, I know there are wash guides but I'm sure the ones stated don't say about waxing etc
was thinking the following:

Pre-wash; wheels; shampoo; tar remover; claying; polish; wax; trim, tyres and glass?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
You'll want a quick wash between tar remover and Claying otherwise the Clay will start to dissolve.

Also worth considering buying a Fallout remover such as Iron X to use before Claying.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks guys still could do with a wash order, I know there are wash guides but I'm sure the ones stated don't say about waxing etc
was thinking the following:

Pre-wash; wheels; shampoo; tar remover; claying; polish; wax; trim, tyres and glass?

if it helps i

'Big' detail every 4ish months

rinse (with a pressure washer)
spray pre cleaner - auto finesse citrus power
leave to dwell - shuts, grills and intricate places can be agitated now
Clean the wheels and tyres
rinse
let it dry a little
tar remover (can be done after next wash stage instead)
rinse
wash, rinsing wash mitt frequently
iron remover
rinse
leave wet
clay (this removes left over contamination, very inadvisable to use clay as a process in itself I.e without detarring and deironing first)
Rinse
wash
dry
polish (I do it by hand, not into machining yet)
optional stage - you can cleanse the panels now with a product like af tough prep or a wipe over with IPA to remove residue and let the last stage protection bond better
last stage protection - wax/sealant
wipe over the plastics with a diluted IPA
dress the plastics
Treat the glass

then every month or so I'll give it a wash with pre cleaner and shampoo, reapplying trim dressing as necessary

Last edited:
  172 cup
You'll want a quick wash between tar remover and Claying otherwise the Clay will start to dissolve.

Also worth considering buying a Fallout remover such as Iron X to use before Claying.

cheers coby whats hats the fallout remover actually do mate ? :s

if it helps i

'Big' detail every 4ish months

rinse (with a pressure washer)
spray pre cleaner - auto finesse citrus power
leave to dwell - shuts, grills and intricate places can be agitated now
Clean the wheels and tyres
rinse
let it dry a little
tar remover (can be done after next wash stage instead)
rinse
wash, rinsing wash mitt frequently
iron remover
rinse
leave wet
clay (this removes left over contamination, very inadvisable to use clay as a process in itself I.e without detarring and deironing first)
Rinse
wash
dry
polish (I do it by hand, not into machining yet)
optional stage - you can cleanse the panels now with a product like af tough prep or a wipe over with IPA to remove residue and let the last stage protection bond better
last stage protection - wax/sealant
wipe over the plastics with a diluted IPA
dress the plastics
Treat the glass

then every month or so I'll give it a wash with pre cleaner and shampoo, reapplying trim dressing as necessary

super thanks just what I was after getting confused with it all but slowly getting there, looooovvvvveee your LY R27 btw may be my next car choice :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
No where did I say it is "poor". Also, if you take a post from an internet forum as fact over opinion, then you are deluded

Thanks for the concern however.

I took you as quoting lather a water with lube? Someone that isn't sure or up to speed as much as some others so may take the thought that not much suds means it a bad / por shampoo. My concern is more for the novices not knowing any better. If I've misread your quote, my apologies.

To be fair Dave, it was Jack172 who said that

He quoted Jack's list and added the answers to it, so wasn't Jack

172 cup
I took you as quoting lather a water with lube? Someone that isn't sure or up to speed as much as some others so may take the thought that not much suds means it a bad / por shampoo. My concern is more for the novices not knowing any better. If I've misread your quote, my apologies

nail > head with that one, let's keep it simple I am at first base with this but really want to learn. Thanks

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
cheers coby whats hats the fallout remover actually do mate ? :s

super thanks just what I was after getting confused with it all but slowly getting there, looooovvvvveee your LY R27 btw may be my next car choice :)

if you look very closely at your paint, you'll see tiny little rust spots on the surface, iron x removes these. Very obvious on ly, may not be so visible on arctic.

cheers :)

ive vey not been into it all that long, a good idea is to read the guides and introduce a product at a time or you'll spend ages scratching your head and may trip over yourself here and there :)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
1.Shampoo - Autobrite banana gloss
2. Foam-Autobrite magifoam
3. Wax- Zymol carbon/Bilt hamber finis
4. Polish AG SRP/ AIO Auto finesse Tripple/ Autobrite cherry glaze
5. Wheel cleaner- Vp bilberry safe
6. Tar- Af oblitarate or AS tardis
7. Clay bar- bilt hamber auto clay
8. Wash mitt-Dodo juice supernatural
9.trim restorer - Autofinesse revive
10. Tyres - Megs Endurance
11. Glass cleaner I use QD (quick detailer)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
nail > head with that one, let's keep it simple I am at first base with this but really want to learn. Thanks

Do you have any products at all?

If not, I found the autoglym pro valet / detailing kit, I forget the name, an excellent starting point. Buy that and a clay bar and you're on a roll. Add/upgrade products as you go

172 cup
Do you have any products at all?

If not, I found the autoglym pro valet / detailing kit, I forget the name, an excellent starting point. Buy that and a clay bar and you're on a roll. Add/upgrade products as you go

I have a fair few ag products but do want something better, clay bar is what I really want to move to next but as said above does it not almost defeat the object if your not using tar and iron remover ?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I have a fair few ag products but do want something better, clay bar is what I really want to move to next but as said above does it not almost defeat the object if your not using tar and iron remover ?

If you want to buy a few key products to try I'd buy the AF Sample set and maybe ObliTARate and Iron Out as you can then order all them from Auto Finesse, Clay I'd stay with Bilt Hamber.

Tar removers and Fallout removers are important if your car is heavily contaminated like my Brothers car was.

Before
rezetude.jpg

Autosmart Tardis
ubaty9u4.jpg

Iron-X
yguqa9us.jpg

Voila!!
uvyqyqej.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

What do you mean defeat the object?

it can be used as a stage in its own, but you'll waste a lot of time, shorten the life of the clay, and possibly marr your paint. I know because I've done it lol.

litres of ironx and TARdis are around £10 on eBay. Definitely worth the investment. I bought them a year and a bit ago and still have plenty left. Although ironx leaked a bit and now my bag stinks

172 cup
What do you mean defeat the object?

it can be used as a stage in its own, but you'll waste a lot of time, shorten the life of the clay, and possibly marr your paint. I know because I've done it lol.

litres of ironx and TARdis are around £10 on eBay. Definitely worth the investment. I bought them a year and a bit ago and still have plenty left. Although ironx leaked a bit and now my bag stinks

Hahha ive heard the "don't smell it term"

they are fairly cheap tbf

one last question before I get done for harassment, roughly how long does a clay bar last and how do you know when it's time for a nee one. Thanks!