ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What petrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio 172
Who uses what in a Clio 172 mk2.

Been using Tesco's 99 momentum since I bought the car a couple of months ago. But noticing whether anybody else has noticed any difference in power or mpg?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I use normal in mine and it drives much better than putting the more expensive stuff in. Could be because it got mapped on normal shell stuff though.

Clio 197
I run it on SUL (99) only because it says minimum 98 RON on the filler cap. I have run it on one or two random bits of normal unleaded when SUL wasn’t available

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
For the track I use v power and get good mpg on the way home if there's some left in the tank. I've seen 47mpg according to the computer but I'm not convinced I believe that myself.
For blasts out on the road I use normal 95 Ron fuel without any problems at all and tbh you can't tell the difference really. Never bothered looking to see what mpg it does on 95 stuff either.

Megane 225 F1
I use normal stuff and on the RR at the weekend, mine had more power and torque than those with similar mods.

/notThatItsRelevant.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Tesco 99.

Worth it for the extra mpgeeeeeeees.

I was under the impression that they hiked the octane up on the tesco 99 RON by using 5% ethanol, which has a high octane rating but a lower calorific value, so therefore I'd expect economy to be worse.

Clio 197
If 95 Ron is ok why would Renault put a fat sticker on the petrol cap saying minimum 98 Ron ? For the laugh??

Last edited:
  275 Trophy
I only use the Momentum but that's purely because it seems to run smoother when cold (it doesn't run very good at cold anyway)

I only use high octane for the same reason, but also because I get 2-3 mpg more and having worked it out, it's better value for money. On cheap stuff the car pops and bangs loads more when cold.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Boggo unleaded will not harm your car one bit.

When you have an engine like the f4r which occasionally suffers from valve failure, it seems a pointless exercise to increase the chances of that happening by running a fuel that may cause knock under certain load conditions and risk causing them to fatigue quicker.
For the sake of 3p a litre, I'd stick with a super unleaded personally.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mine def runs better on the normal stuff. And after 15 months, two trackdays and about 8000 miles pretty much trouble free motoring, im sticking with the cheap stuff

Clio 172 cup
Its not 3p though is it?

Its 8p difference here

Its a clio, not a jap import evo

They will run all day every day on normal and many track days too

Listerine & Poledo
Momentum gives better mpgs and a slightly smoother run than basic 95-ron.

that's what I find anyway.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
8p is a very small percentage of the cost though, and I don't think it's even 8p here at Shell. I run V power personally because Renault get nothing out of me spending extra money on fuel, so it must say 97ron for a reason and as Chip says, for the sake of a couple of quid a tank, why worry about it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its not 3p though is it?

Its 8p difference here

harsh, not that much near me

Its a clio, not a jap import evo

They will run all day every day on normal and many track days too

I dont think anyone is disputing the car will run, the question is wether it will fatigue components sooner, or if it will lose power/mpg.

The answer to that question is a lot less easy to find than the "will it run" one you are answering, I would imagine that renault are aware the standard map has more timing than 95 RON can handle, so odds are if you run 95 then at certain load points it will trigger the knock sensor, and doing so is not a healthy way to run an engine. It worsens economy, it loses power, and more impotantly the r****d it adds to the ignition timing can elevate exhaust gas temperature.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Boggo unleaded will not harm your car one bit.

Get boost or high compression before you start worrying about Super.

stock F4R is 11:1. That's high compression by any standards. at least 97ron should be used, use lower octane and the knock sensor will wind back the ignition timing and you'll get worse economy so there will be no saving and you'll be down on power (marginally) too.

Evo 5 RS
Mine was mapped on V power so it gets V power, a decent 95 wouldn't do any harm but not any good either. Every cars different, some newer cars will limp the engine if lower octane is detected

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mine was mapped on V power so it gets V power, a decent 95 wouldn't do any harm though. Every cars different, some newer cars will limp the engine if lower octane is detected

What are you basing that statement on?
If your car has been mapped well on V power, then it is pretty much guarenteed to have some load sites at low rpm and high load that will det on 95!

Evo 5 RS
I'm talking about joe blogs in his standard car, i'd never run on 95 lol

Did once, but only because I would of had to push it home otherwise ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The same applies to the standard car though, they'll still trip the knock sensor at certain load sites if you run them on a worse fuel than renault mapped them for.

Status
Not open for further replies.