ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What oil do renault use?

A4 Avant & A3
Does anyone know?
When you have your 172 serviced at a renault dealer, what oil do they put in?

If it's half decent stuff do they sell it? as i want to change my oil between service intervals but don't wanna spend a fortune on some, only for it to be changed to cheaper stuff in 6k miles time.

They use whastever that get a good price and folows Renault guidlines and minimum spec its decinet enough stuff.

As aboved depends who you go to, however they are likely to range from basic semi synth 10w-40 to a fully synth 5w-40.

Cheers

Guy.

A4 Avant & A3
Back to this question of oil from renault.
As i think i need to change the oil this weekend.
I called them today & they said i need Elf 10w 40 @ £25+vat for 5 litres. (that sound ok for a 1yr/6k oil change - in between services)

When i looked into my clio handbook just now it says:

For all engines - 5w 40
For all engines Except 2.0l RS - 10w 40

whats that about then?
I take it the Elf 10w 40 for £25 will be fine?

5w 40 is the optimal oil in the clio sport book, and thats widely documented on this very forum as well.

Renault dealers of course use 10w 40, because there renault dealers and they treat an rs like a 1.1.

I bought my own. £37+VAT for 5 litres of Silkolene Pro S 5w-40w from opie oils. I would tell the dealer you want 5w-40w put in as the handbook states.

A4 Avant & A3
It's not due a service, i just thought i'd change the oil after 1 yr / 6000 miles rather than the 2yr / 12000 miles.

So don't really want to spend £40 on oil if it's going to get changed for £25 10w 40 in another 6k when i take it to renault for it's 24k service. So was just going to use what they use.. otherwise seems a waste.
(does that make sense??)

have a read here about oil specs
Renault standards/amaounts of oil/fluid required for the car.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166251

Renault dealers use 5-40 or 10-40 usually and they don't need any special oils. 5-40 is for cars used down to something like -25 degress 10-40 only protects down to -10 (its the in link above the exact numbers) but running on 5-40 is slightly better when cold.

A4 Avant & A3
cheers for that edde, starting to make sense now.
So if i'll try for 5w 40 if not, the 10w 40 will be fine.
(saying that.. our winters are getting cold! lol)

Cheers for all your replys