ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what next? willy/172

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
right finally next month i will have my first years no claims so its onwards and upwards for me.
theres two cars im looking into getting the 172 if money isnt so tight and williams if it is.
what im wondering is, with the williams do they tend to have many problems as im not a car wise kinda guy i just enjoy driving and really dont want the car off the road.
and if i was to buy a 172 id have 5500 and it will be higher milage is it wise to buy a higher milage 172?

im really struggling to make my mind up as i know little about the williams, id love the 172 as ive allways wanted one and the lady hates the williams (but she aint got a choice)

also the ph1 172 i like but really dont like the interior and theres a few things id have to change is it easy to swap the dash with a ph2 one, as this seems to meet in the middle of them both cheaper than ph2 but newer than williams so id guess less faults.

arg ive had a year to think about this but still havnt made my mind up lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I've got both...Love them both...couldn't pick between them both. LOL.

Nah seriously, willy is beta on track, but WILL cost you money as i'm finding out!

5.5 is mk1 172 money for sure, if you like that shape. will have miles on it tho.
1.8 will buy you a willy (Thats what i paid) and you can spend a bit getting it nice and keeping the Mk1's going in this club.

Ali

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^Jims...aye stunner. But you can have as good for less with a bit of work.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
5500 will buy you a very good ph-1 172 with about 50k on the clock. TBH, i'd expect to pay more like £4500 for one.

5.5k will get you a mint classic shape UK spec scooby as well... both group 17 cars, but you will be able to get a lower mileage scooby for that money than a 172 I'd had thought. my mate recently bought a classic shape turbo 2000 for 5.3k on a 2000 V-reg with 60k on the clock. white, sti factory fitted kit, pro drive suspension etc etc, completely factory standard, FSSH and mint. might be worth considering.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
not really into the scoobys a mates got one and it just doesnt do it for me.

atm i think the ph2 is out the question as i dont have enough for a good example so im more looking towards the ph1 and willy.
i really need to know are they realiable do people have much trouble with them, id prefer one over the ph1 172 as there would be nothing id want to do to it and they are cheaper and only 900 quid insurance with 1 years no claims witch is amazing.

Williams will cost a lot more to run than a 172, but the benifits are it's quicker (providing it's not fucked which most are), handles better and gives more driver feedback. Still shite though, don't get either imo, both will rot and fall to bits, just with the Willy it's usually half way there... lol

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
well i dont care i want either a 172 or willy and its between these two.

anyone got any usefull contributions?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
ive had a williams year and a half and ive not had to spend more than a few hundred on it.... the arches and a couple of bits and bobs nothing more nothing less. although i have spent a little extra on things like refurbing alloys and services etc but it hasnt cost me alot. the only thing with it(them) are that they are old and its obvious that i got a good (lucky) one. if age doesnt bother you... go for it, besides mine hasnt depreciated much... i bought it for 4k and its prob still worth that.

the bad things about the williams is the mildy tappety engine (new addition) when cold, and it is v raw. but it is alot of fun and i always get a few nods of appreciation when driving which is nice.
(obviously cant comment on the 172 toooo much)

if you want a newer, more hassle free car go for a 172 for sure. besides the 172's are now near enough the same price as a mint williams....

but the major issue here is insurance..... with one years no claims its still going to be v exp. have you got a quote? before you go planning all this? my insurance with 3yrs ncb on a williams is 800 FC & 700tpft.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
TheJesus said:
Williams will cost a lot more to run than a 172, but the benifits are it's quicker (providing it's not f**ked which most are), handles better and gives more driver feedback. Still sh*te though, don't get either imo, both will rot and fall to bits, just with the Willy it's usually half way there... lol

You forgot to mention, that both are driven mostly by greasy-haired losers, LOL. ;)

LY 200
Iv had a mk1 hybrid and now the 182 mate.

Tbh, despite what Jesus will say (he will banter allday long if given the chance ;) ) there is nothing in straight line speed, the 2.0 mk1 engine is instantly on the power which is good but the 172/182 come into play around 5k. Not toosure on handling on mk1 172 but i should'nt think it will be too bad, the 182 with cup suspension is lots better thatn my old mk1 imo. Again though unless your gonna track it the difference in handling is probably gonna mean sweet fa to you!!!

172/182 is much more comfortable, the ride is better, climate/ac comes in handy sometimes and your gf wont mind going out in it.......Know you say its not her choice now but do you really wanna put up with the whinging if you go for the willy?? Trust me you'll get it if she's already tryna turn you away from getting a one, partly the reason i gave up my olden!!! Lol

Reliability wise i feel much safer with the new one but then it is a newer car with warrenty. Was always worried about the mk1 going tits up and when they do be prepaired for big bucks so make sure you willneed depp pocket or prepared to be skinted. My biggest expence was when the gearbox went, cheapest i was quoted was 600 coins to get it soreted so i then opted for a 2.0 engine and box instead. Even service work can cost top doller on these cars unless you can do the work yourself.......Cambelts, clutches and gearboxes for instance will all cost big.

Not all bad though mine was only used at weekends so milage was limited but suppose it depends on your circumstances. If i had to sell my 182 tomorrow i would happily go back to a proper Williams (preferably a 3) but it would need to be a well looked after one with lots of history. No point in buying a banger thats for sure as that will deffinatly cost you.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
thanks very much jayr and jamiewilliams alot of help there guys, ive looked at insurance quotes again and the williams is 1.3k and the 172 is 1.4k with 1 yrs no claims and being 21.
at the moment im thinking ph1 172 due to there being less chance of having to spend aload on it and it had the thumbs up from the lady but theres still abig part of me that really wants a williams.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
shop around for insurance. at 19/20 i was payin 1200! now 900 at 21. Williams is 478 3ptf.

BMW 525d Sport
Would have to be a williams for me, ok ive got one but in all honesty I dont think id change for a 172. Its so much of a drivers car and does everything u need. I think the issue of running cost is down to people paying nothing for the cars then expecting them to be perfect. The biggest woe on the willaims is the gearbox, which ive just had to have rebuilt, so took the opportunity to change the cambelt and other little bits while it was out. Touch wood the main mechanical items are now sorted for another 100k and aslong as you keep on top of basic servicing and general maintenece, its as reliable as any other car.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ thats the story's of one's life...You look after things and they will last.

My old man had a few lotus's in the past

LOTUS = Loads of trouble usually serious.

or as the dealer said.

LOTUS = Loads of trouble unless serviced!

Had my Willy almost 3 years now with no probs. Only expense was when I cracked both my front springs (my fault). A lot will say they break down, they rust and cost a mint to run. Well, I've got no rust whatsoever, its never broken down and I put about 15k on a year now. I'd go as far to say its the most reliable car I've ever owned!! As for expense, just dont take it to Renault and find a decent garage (such as Rentech).

Just make sure you get a good one.

...and more importantly, whats your missus' beef with the Williams??????

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
thanks for the help guys your not making it any easyer saying good stuff about the williams.
the missus just doesnt like the fact its a old car and everythings outdated but i dont care about that, she loves my current car mk2 ph2 dynamique as its more upto date.