ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What NAS Drive would you buy...

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I purhcased the 2TB version of the one in the 1st link, it's great - very easy to set up.

I've got my entire iTunes library synced to it to save space on my MBP!

6/468 17poo
Thats exactly what i want to do! you havent got an apple tv or airport express working with this aswell have you?

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
I've got the first one too, as irt was only £69.99 in my local Currys. Great littel drive and means I can access from here there and everywhere. Not got it fully set up yet but loving what I have got it doing!

BMW F31
I've got a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo, Got it working with my Xbox 360, iPhone, iPad and my Apple TV 2.

The Apple TV needed jailbreaking so I could access my music and films from the NAS without having to stream it through an iTunes client.

Took a bit of setting up but works great. iPhone & iPad are good too, Netgears App allows remote access to the NAS when away from home allowing upload and download of all files.

Polo + Micra
i had a WD world drive before and it was dog slow (5Mb/s tops)

just hope they have stepped up their game as other wise i'd avoid

DCi
I have the mybooklive and it struggles to stream smoothly to wireless devices.

then i cabled my stuff up and it was better although file transfers were 0.5mbps - though that was going through a homeplug, when i put all my devices into the same switch I got a lot faster... iirc 10mbps

just checked - it's about 10-13mbps, i dont think im using a gigabit switch either. must 'borrow' one from work and see how fast it goes.

6/468 17poo
just been to Currys, they had a huge stack of these on display must of been at least 20 units, still cant decide if its gonna be slow?

Polo + Micra
mine was connected at gigabit speeds but wouldn't even worry 100Mbit

ended up taking it apart to use the drive in a nas pc and got best part of 50Mb/s writing to the drive so it was just the nas enclosure slowing it down

dk

911 GTS Cab
mine was connected at gigabit speeds but wouldn't even worry 100Mbit

ended up taking it apart to use the drive in a nas pc and got best part of 50Mb/s writing to the drive so it was just the nas enclosure slowing it down

Mb or MB /s?

Trying to figure out which drive to get, i want to access itunes, films etc through laptops and ps3 and maybe an apple tv, these are the 2 drives im looking at:

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Networking...N-1TB-HARD-DRIVE-Networking-Hard-Drive/539988

or

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Networking...AL-WDBACG0010HCH-Networking-Hard-Drive/703850

For the money is it worth purchasing the newer model? i presume its faster?

Hi beatjunkie

Having checked the specifications and features of the 2 models you have suggested, I can confirm that they are virtually identical products. Both offer 1TB of storage and are Windows and Mac compatible. The main difference is that the 1TB My Book World Edition has a 2.0 USB connection, which will allow you to connect further storage to the hard drive.

I feel it would be down to personal preference, however if you look on the Comet website the 1TB My Book World Edition has got some excellent reviews from customers who have purchased that model. Unfortunately, as the Western Digital 1TB 3.5" HDD My Book Lite is new, there are currently no reviews on our website for this.

I hope this helps.

Chris from Comet

I'm guessing they see what web pages are directing to their site and check it out/try and drum up business. LOL

Kudos to the Comet response.

Someone mentioned running ATV from a NAS. Unless it's JBroken it won't work, this was something I looked into. In the end I listened to Tom and got a standalone PC to store/share my content.

Cost around £250 for 1TB internal, and 3TB external (2TB of that is for backup only). Works for me, wakes on LAN, so is as good as a NAS.

Clio 172
Wtf? - that's a random answer!!

I use readyshare that's built into my router. It isn't as advance as a proper NAS drive, and isnt that stable, but it does the job of mounting a drive and being able to use it.

6/468 17poo
The other possibility was to buy a cheap, maybe second hand Mac Mini and connect a normal drive to this....would this be better? I would be able to connect to ATV2?

Also Comet Chris, any chance of some discount, Ive seen it cheaper in Currys!

BMW F31
Someone mentioned running ATV from a NAS. Unless it's JBroken it won't work, this was something I looked into. In the end I listened to Tom and got a standalone PC to store/share my content.

That was me I think.

With the newest JB running XBMC is fine, streams DVD & HD quality straight to the TV. took a bit of setting up but it works flawlessly tbh.

Also BBC iPlayer etc also installed.

Rav4
That was me I think.

With the newest JB running XBMC is fine, streams DVD & HD quality straight to the TV. took a bit of setting up but it works flawlessly tbh.

Also BBC iPlayer etc also installed.

Any change of explaining how you did it and how you have your NAS setup? Would be most grateful :)

Mk3 clio 1.5
I had a netgear storage central sc101 did the job for me. Can set up streaming etc. But then mafe my own server so was sold. Tidy unit though