ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what makes the 197 have 197bhp

80MPG BEEZA
i dont mind the fact that they've brought out a new model, i mean i love the mk1 clio's i love the mk2's ph1 and 2 i just dont like the new 197 only thing that appeals to me are brembo brakes but if i wanted them that bad i'd put them on my hybrid

Renaultsport Clio 197
someone said a 197 cup with seq.gearbox couldnt get away from a 1*2 ( i don't care how much bhp it's running).

PLEEEAAASEEEEEE :quiet:

80MPG BEEZA
Surely the 197 cup racer would have slaughtered it as soon as the corners arrived... ?

yea you would have thought that but it just couldnt get away and he wasnt even running the 75bhp shot of nos he usually has in shame i cudnt get any of it on vid

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
Please correct me if im wrong. From my understanding the 172 and 197 use the same lump how does the 197 get the extra power? are these transferrable to the 172? basically ive just purchased a 172 and im looking in to engine mods and im doing my research before i buy anything. Any ideas?

first mod then is the 182 exhaust system,
iirc, it has a 4-2-1 manifold, where as your 172 is just 4-1. this is 10ps to start with!

i have no experience of the 197, the only ones i have seen on the roads were doing 45mph in a 60. im guessing they are all getting bought up the 40 year old mid lifers in crisis, just like the 182 was a few years back.

iirc, it has a 4-2-1 manifold, where as your 172 is just 4-1. this is 10ps to start with!

For the 10hp you also need the remap the sports cat and full exhaust stsrtem from a 182 the 182 extra 10hp ins't just the manifold.

the father and son that had just spent 20k on it said otherwise
So they werne't a race team so how do you know how they were rely driving. change up along would see them a good way ahead.
yea you would have thought that but it just couldnt get away and he wasnt even running the 75bhp shot of nos he usually has in shame i cudnt get any of it on vid
Errr let me get this strtaight they have a Cup racer and 75hp of NOS someones having laugh. I'd have asked to see the pipes. A Cup race put it this way is faster than last years model and last years car is just of the pace of a 996 GT3RS road car so your telling me a 200hp CLio in full road spec is faster than a GT3RS?

I've overtaken some serious quick road cars on track 360 Ferraira, M3's etc on track however Renault havn't been pushing a diesel as a out and out race car as its down to driver (not saying I'm any good).

Last edited:

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
There cant be a lot in it, if you read the spec on both cars they are pretty much even on 0-60, the 197 has more power but lets be honest has been eating to many burgers and drinking to much beer :).
Think the 197 will go round corners better thou, racing isnt always about straight line speed people.
They are both fantastic cars why are 182 drivers slagging off 197's and visa versa.:nono: Surely we should be havin a pop at anyone that drives a fiesta or saxo etc?

Megane 230 R26
Just to clarify I wasn't "slagging off" 197's myself, the very fact they are pretty much as fast as a 182 makes them a very decent car and I'm sure they're very fun to drive, just I don't think I'd replace my Trophy with one...

Maybe in a few years time if there's a mint R27 on offer I'll take a look at it :)

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
no dont blame you mate, we are lookin at changin our second car at the min and we are considering a trophy very nice car. Like I said both great cars. clio sports are coool:D

80MPG BEEZA
the 197 was full cup spec as you can see his in the left hand side, the 172 was running toyo r888's,40mm springs,182 mani,decat,magnex,inlet match,group n ecu,IK running at 183bhp on the rr the 172 usually runs 75bhp nos not the 197.

both cars were being driven quickly but the 197 couldnt get away with either driver in the 197, i guess they knew what they had some idea of what they were doing as you wouldnt go spend that much money on something you had no idea about, yes the 197 cup may have been faster with a faster driver in but it didnt.

im stating that the owners of the veichles were driving their veichles and the owners of the 197 cup couldnt pull any gap on any session in the veichle, whether it would with a better driver who knows, why this gets peoples backs up i dont know

5k 172 keeping up with 20k 197 cup maybe?

M2 Competition
Pmsl. Dude, a road prepped 172 would get nowhere near a 197 race car on track, can you not see this. Nothing to do with the road version of the 197, or how fast it is, but this is a properly set-up race car on slicks. Have you seen how fast a well driven one can go?

To be fair most cars wouldnt get anywhere near a 197 race car on track...

both cars were being driven quickly but the 197 couldnt get away with either driver in the 197, i guess they knew what they had some idea of what they were doing as you wouldnt go spend that much money on something you had no idea about, yes the 197 cup may have been faster with a faster driver in but it didnt.

im stating that the owners of the veichles were driving their veichles and the owners of the 197 cup couldnt pull any gap on any session in the veichle, whether it would with a better driver who knows, why this gets peoples backs up i dont know

5k 172 keeping up with 20k 197 cup maybe?
Ok the 197 has a few hp more (205 officialy) it has a bit less weight and has a £6k gearbox and your saying the 172 is quicker come on its down to drive just because someone can buy a Ferrari doens't make them asny good. There quite a few Cup racers now sold to private customers after they got rve reviews in track day magazines etc as there cheap relitivly and quick.

Put it this way the 197 Cup racer is quicker than a GT3 Porche on track and your saying that equal for equal the 172 with a few mods is the same lap times well its not true it won't and cannot be the CUp racer realy needs to be driven hard and it will embarris loads of other cars no 172 would know aht it was doing.

It gets people annoyed since your making the acusation that a £5k road spec cars faster than a full out and out race car worth £20 with a £6k fancy box etc and it just isn't.

Renaultsport Clio 197
bas you wouldnt go spend that much money on something you had no idea about

we both know that's not true.How many people buy lambos and ferraris and never see 3rd gear in them...
I know two f430 drivers that drive as fast as my mom (everywhere, in the city and outside)

To be fair most cars wouldnt get anywhere near a 197 race car on track...

exactly.
That's why it's called a RACE car :) .The Sadev gearbox along is the reason why it's so fast, not too mention how light it is or how well does it corner.

Nissan 350Z
Eh? Whats this? A 197 racer, with just over 200 bhp, is unable to get away from a tuned 172 Cup which probably weighs several hundred kilograms less?

No s**t sherlock. :lolup:

80MPG BEEZA
god am i talking jiberish? i never said the 172 was faster!

look at the pic i posted i said this gap was held on every session that they went out that they started off near each other, yes they may not know how to drive but they did have alternate drivers where as the 172 just had the one driver, yes the 197 cup racer may rip a road 172 apart

BUT

im saying on this track day with these drivers and these 2 cars the 197 cup wasnt able to out pace him and i can state they were both going for it, im not saying the 172 wouldnt have been left if it had a better driver but it did have 2 different drivers which gave it more chance of it having a better driver then just the one.

Last edited:
Eh? Whats this? A 197 racer, with just over 200 bhp, is unable to get away from a tuned 172 Cup which probably weighs several hundred kilograms less?
979kg or so for the Cup emply weight officially

1060kg emply for the 197 race car.

Not a huge difference realy.

That gearbox helps masivly as well hence why they use it to make it a quicker car.

im saying on this track day with these drivers and these 2 cars the 197 cup wasnt able to out pace him and i can state they were both going for it, im not saying the 172 wouldnt have been left if it had a better driver but it did have 2 different drivers which gave it more chance of it having a better driver then just the one.
They weren't going for it. You have at accep a 197 weight ok as above about 100kg more say but its runs a suspension setup a 172/182 /coilovered 172/182 would die for on track. It run a gearbox which makes the change ups and down near instant and its designed to be quciker than the last years model which was as timed in races is as quick a GT3 RS 996 cars no tunned Clio would stay near it I recon even Yozzassports can with 240hp coilovers would be challenged by a proper 197 or 172 racer on circuit.

80MPG BEEZA
979kg or so for the Cup emply weight officially

1060kg emply for the 197 race car.

Not a huge difference realy.

That gearbox helps masivly as well hence why they use it to make it a quicker car.

They weren't going for it. You have at accep a 197 weight ok as above about 100kg more say but its runs a suspension setup a 172/182 /coilovered 172/182 would die for on track. It run a gearbox which makes the change ups and down near instant and its designed to be quciker than the last years model which was as timed in races is as quick a GT3 RS 996 cars no tunned Clio would stay near it I recon even Yozzassports can with 240hp coilovers would be challenged by a proper 197 or 172 racer on circuit.

aiiii i do accept that! im just saying that this one cudnt so maybe they were poor drivers! i mean we were all beside ourself with the 172 keeping up, and watching an aerial atom handing out supreme ownage

Renault Clio 182 Cup
all car are stock and proved by one of the cars magazine(i can't remember but it was autocar or autoexpress one of this )clio 172 - 174bhp, clio 182 - 182bhp, clio 197-194bhp but to be honest on the dyno test you might have less because of the garage (example one in north england say 175bhp for 182 in south england say 180bhp)than should be or original power which is said to be. your car will have 100% correction if your air filter is ok your spark plugs are ok(plugs normly lose power after 5k miles) and your oil is ok as well

hope it help

Please correct me if im wrong. From my understanding the 172 and 197 use the same lump how does the 197 get the extra power? are these transferrable to the 172? basically ive just purchased a 172 and im looking in to engine mods and im doing my research before i buy anything. Any ideas?

i have no experience of the 197, the only ones i have seen on the roads were doing 45mph in a 60. im guessing they are all getting bought up the 40 year old mid lifers in crisis, just like the 182 was a few years back.

Cheers mate..