ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What makes a difference

Hi guys ( + gals?)

Anybody out there got hard facts on what kind of performance gain you can get from exhausts, induction kits, chips etc.? On my last car (Corsa sport) I gained exactly 0.4 bhp from my mods - not exactly great value for money!!! I love my 172 at the moment but I just know Ill want more power some day soon.

Be gentle by the way, my first posting ;-)

breathing mods on some engines can have good effect, decat and zorst has freed around 9 hp on my willy engine!

When i get it chipped i dont expect it to increase power at all, but hope it makes it even more drivable through mid range.

get 1 of them performance mods (aka a resistor!!) off ebay theyll give ya "up to 20 hp" hehe jokin!

backbox alone will give u a mere 2 brake, full system 15-30 brake, i think

Nitrous between 50 and 300 brake i think

craigy on here has a 172 with exhaust, piperx viper and a unichip and he has 196bhp, hope that helps, phil as for nitrous i would personally put no more than 75bhp jet at the most on a 172 if you use more than that youll more than likely have major problems very soon after fitting it

Renault Laguna Coupe

You can get close to 190 with the usual stuff as loony says. Theres lots of stuff about for the 172 these days.

Quote: Originally posted by Phil 99 on 01 November 2003

backbox alone will give u a mere 2 brake, full system 15-30 brake, i think

Nitrous between 50 and 300 brake i think
erm 15-30 bhp? I dont think so lol

Get a decat pipe fitted. £100 for a Devil decat pipe from Prima Racing and fitting between free (doing it yourself - get a mate to help as its fiddly) and £20 for a garage to do it. Save your catalytic convertor for MOT time. You will see a noticeable improvement (i think 7bhp is claimed). My 1/4 mile time was cut by over 0.5 seconds just by fitting the decat pipe and 60 comes up in the very low 6 seconds. Probably the best value for money performance modification you can make (apart from possibley lowering springs).

Rhys

i realy doubt you can get 15-20 bhp from fillter and zorst i only got 8bhp from a uni-chip it was 162 to start now its 170 i want the head done asap i would expect at least ten from that and i.ll fit k-tec sport cat if i get a proper 15-20 from that i will be happy

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by livio on 01 November 2003

i realy doubt you can get 15-20 bhp from fillter and zorst i only got 8bhp from a uni-chip it was 162 to start now its 170 i want the head done asap i would expect at least ten from that and i.ll fit k-tec sport cat if i get a proper 15-20 from that i will be happy
I have 189 - filter and zorst. See the members rolling road section for more examples.

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 01 November 2003

I have 189 - filter and zorst. See the members rolling road section for more examples.
Problem with rolling roading cars is that youll get a different result at every RR, and probably different results on different days at the same RR. People should really take bhp figures with a pinch of salt. Think about the RSport chip for example. No more bhp, but the cars feel quicker and go quicker over a 1/4 mile.

Mike, when you had yours RRd with the magnex, were there any std. 172s there? What did they get? Seeing as out system is finally succumbing to the 4k rattle we might as well replace it with something decent.

Quote: Originally posted by weight on 01 November 2003

I think people are going a bit silly with the power increase figures!
What the f**k? You saying you dont believe my Clio 400 will kick your ass? Ive got a decat u know......

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 01 November 2003

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 01 November 2003

Problem with rolling roading cars is that youll get a different result at every RR, and probably different results on different days at the same RR. People should really take bhp figures with a pinch of salt. Think about the RSport chip for example. No more bhp, but the cars feel quicker and go quicker over a 1/4 mile.

Mike, when you had yours RRd with the magnex, were there any std. 172s there? What did they get? Seeing as out system is finally succumbing to the 4k rattle we might as well replace it with something decent.
Hi Rhys,

there were about 20 of us that day - all the results in the bhp section - Wilcox Competition Engines. I think Kathys car was standard engine-wise and hers made 150 atw vs 158 that I got. It is noticable that the top 3 cars in the list all have Magnex or K-tec exhausts. I think (in fact I know) that there are 172s making better figures than these too. Youre right about rr figures not being comparable between rolling roads. Even the same rolling road can give different figures if the weather changes. That day we did our RR session it was freezing cold - which helps.

Hmm....interesting. The 158bhp at wheels is more compelling than mailto:190@fly">190@fly seeing as fly can only ever be guessed at unless the engine is whipped out and put on a dyno. Anyway, its wheel figures that count. With 150bhp std vs. 158bhp with Magnex it looks like it might be worth it. How much did the cat back system cost inc. fitting?

Thanks everyone - looks like a Magnex exhaust and a new filter is the way to go then... Bit worried about all these different BHP figures though - might have to get my down to the local rolling road to see what exactly my "172" makes!