ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what kind of battery

What kind of battery would I need for a total current draw of:

a) 80A

or

b) 125A??

Could I get away with just a diesel Clio battery with a 1Farad cap or would I need more juice?

Cheers.

Dont bother with the cap..they are pointless in most systems.

If you are drawing 80amps then you would be ok with a slightly bigger battery than you have now. Something like the diesel battery or bigger if you can.

For 125amps you could probably also get away with a fairly large battery but you could also go for an Optima or similar which would give much better performance. Its more expensive but well worth the extra.

Russ

more juice.

if your lights dim, then definately, try upgrading the alternator, fitting a second battery on a split charge or couple of one farads in parrallell.

Alternator i would say you might want to upgrade, hell of a lot of choices there tho. im only on a 40A draw, but when you consider all those extra like heating, wipers etc, it turns into a lot coming out of you battery. how many watts are you running in your system? 1 farad will cater for about 1000 watts. My last car i run without a capacitor, in the end my alternator caught fire and frazzled all the wiring looms in the engine bay.

Revels Mum & Sister

Go for a Optima Yellow Top.

Excellent Batterys. If you are that worried run one of these bad boys in the boot as well as you standard battery. Although one of these will do the Job. Quite pricey but well worth it!!

I will be running just under 1200W RMS at 4ohms (suppose thats about 3600 "peak" watts according to Boss Sound!!) with a class D amp, a small 2ch. and a fairly large 4Ch.

At the monent about to fit the 4Ch and 2 Ch, which will give the 80A. Will see how that is tomorrow, but I used to run just 40A and the battery began to dim a lot. Now I have taken out all my ICE and the battery dims on idle when I have on just the headlights and head unit! It dims on each beat! Rather prefer the idea of not forking out for a new alternator though, given the cost.

Think Ill try a big battery first and then get a split charge relay and a pair of Optimas if that doesn;t work.

Cheers for the advice.

Sounds like your best option to me. A bigger battery will definatey help you but you will need a split charge setup for your future plans.

Im sure ive mentioned this before but our demo car has over 3500 watts RMS. There are no power caps involved as they arent needed but we do use 2 Optima Yellow tops for the bass side of things and an upgraded front battery for the other 2 amps and neons, strobes etc etc..there is no light dimming whatsoever.

Russ

powercaps are rubbish.

You need a decent battery to run one, and if youve got a decent battery you shouldnt need one !