ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is this in engine bay??

Clio 172, BMW 330ci
Hi guys

On my recently purchased clio 172 (with climate control aircon) there is a metal rectangular bracket on the firewall with nothing going into it.

Its what I've highlighted in this picture.....

876_zps2c7dac17.jpg

I'm guessing its something to do with the aircon? Mine also doesn't have a metal pipe coming from it.

Could somebody confirm what this is for.

Thanks!

Clio 172, BMW 330ci
The car is currently at my work so can't have a look to work out what's been removed. Would have been slightly embarrassing if I asked the aircon guy, who came to my workplace recently to do some other cars, give mine a regas!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I removed mine (bcoz racecar - ;)). You need to swap to a cup alternator / aux belt setup when you remove it, so unfortunately it's not as straight forward to put back as you may think. Can be done, but will need to source the parts including a non cup alternator and brackets etc.

I've got all the bits if you decide to refit. Would be best to get a picture down the front of the engine to see what's been removed. There are other ways to remove to air con that don't use the cup setup

Transit & Death trap
Would be best to get a picture down the front of the engine to see what's been removed. There are other ways to remove to air con that don't use the cup setup

^
This.
They could have simply removed the pipes, I don't know why anyone would, but I've seen a couple with aircon pipes removed, but still with the A/C pump, all brackets and A/C rad intact so it could be a simple fix.

^
This.
They could have simply removed the pipes, I don't know why anyone would, but I've seen a couple with aircon pipes removed, but still with the A/C pump, all brackets and A/C rad intact so it could be a simple fix.

Agreed. Fingers crossed

Then theres the pms aircon delete... And even the simple larger idler shorter belt trick

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Unless I'm going blind, the rest of the AC pipework's still there? Fiver says the condenser's still sat in front of the radiator reducing airflow too.

Clio 172, BMW 330ci
So here are the pictures taken from my car.

75E10EEF-B0E0-4E00-8EE6-A416309F7412_zpsuseaqjy4.jpg

71515C33-F834-48AF-8744-D33D626233BD_zpsegbmrclf.jpg

BA1B34F2-A566-44B6-89F1-6B862FECD890_zpsgrl68n1k.jpg

8E42E0CD-17C4-44B2-B5FE-0002E1E9D7C4_zpskgoajyog.jpg

I don't think there is much left behind of the aircon but then I'm no expert!

Clio 172 phase 1
Nope no air con just a dodgey rtx ecp alternator! ... hope u got the original invoice for that bad boy

Clio 172, BMW 330ci
That came with the car and has already given me problems. Sometimes it like to produce electricity, sometimes it does not :D

Clio 172, BMW 330ci
Ok mate thanks a lot. On a side note........are there many leics meets? Not normally my thing but it would be good to see a few local people and their cars.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Ok mate thanks a lot. On a side note........are there many leics meets? Not normally my thing but it would be good to see a few local people and their cars.

The local meets are about to get a major overhaul mate. Keep you eyes peeled on the local meets section over the coming weeks ;)

Clio Dci

Not loads and loads, there was one about 3 months ago over at foxton locks. Then i think a few people met up loughborough way recently, if your on Facebook have a look at Renaultsport east mids... Just drop me a pm if you need to have a look at my car to compare!

Clio 172, BMW 330ci
OK. I work near lough so get around quite a bit. If there's another local meet sorted I will try and get to it.