ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what going on with greenlight

Evo 8 RIP, Evo 2 tracktoy
is anyone else insured with greenlight on a 172 cup.
i have just tried to get a quote for my 172 cup and they have told me they are unable to insure me. the reason for this is that they say there has been to many claims from this veichle but if i get a normal 172, 182, 182 cup they will be happy to insure me. anyone else had this problem.

any insurance company suggestions would be a great help

R35 GTR
They did start insuring them for a bit, but I am sure (with no exact figures) that cups are more likely to end up crashed than full fat. I wouldnt insure a car with no ABS, if I was them.

Cam

182 Cup
What a lovely way of putting it ant! lol
Try tesco, direct line, privilige. Isnt there a guy on here who works for Greenlight? think his forum name is neil @ greenlight (but with no spaces) he might be able to help you.

cock mobile.
tomhunt85 said:
Apparently 1 in 3 172 cups have been written off.

Is there any truth in this!?

I saw three today at my gym ffs (one being mine); they aren't rare enough imo.

ant

yep.
sh33n said:
Is there any truth in this!?

I saw three today at my gym ffs (one being mine)

drive carefully then, cos statistically one of them wont be there next week ;)

MKIII 138
wxmlad said:
isnt a 172cup leathel with out Abs considering the amount of power it has

what a joke, ice and snow make ABS completley pointless. just like the gordon brown with his car tax policy yet doesnt have a driving licence. greenlight have no real knowlage in this field as far as cups are concerned its knee jerk reaction to a lack of ABS.
reno didnt remove it for a cost saving, it produces the best track performance. TVR, Noble dont have ABS and until recently (when they started to produce lots of models globally so couldnt get out of the new regulations on the 50 car a year limit) Lotus didnt have ABS either..

Lotus.
TVR.
Noble.
172 cup <

the lack of ABS is better on track. the 172cup is a homologation special designed for the track.
but for the reasons of it being s**t in ice. well a stock 172 and 182 are also s**t in ice due to their wide tyres yet light weight, and any car with ABS in ice or snow is doomed a lot older proper cars i.e audi quattro had a ABS button to disable for when it was icy and snowy. unfortunatley the myth will continue that ABS is essencial for cold weather.

but the fastest car in the world from 0 to 100mph to 0 again in less than 10secs hasnt got ABS thats the Ultima GTR

Astra SRi T
meggerman said:
what a joke, ice and snow make ABS completley pointless. just like the gordon brown with his car tax policy yet doesnt have a driving licence. greenlight have no real knowlage in this field as far as cups are concerned its knee jerk reaction to a lack of ABS.
reno didnt remove it for a cost saving, it produces the best track performance. TVR, Noble dont have ABS and until recently (when they started to produce lots of models globally so couldnt get out of the new regulations on the 50 car a year limit) Lotus didnt have ABS either..

Lotus.
TVR.
Noble.
172 cup <

the lack of ABS is better on track. the 172cup is a homologation special designed for the track.
but for the reasons of it being sh*t in ice. well a stock 172 and 182 are also sh*t in ice due to their wide tyres yet light weight, and any car with ABS in ice or snow is doomed a lot older proper cars i.e audi quattro had a ABS button to disable for when it was icy and snowy. unfortunatley the myth will continue that ABS is essencial for cold weather.

but the fastest car in the world from 0 to 100mph to 0 again in less than 10secs hasnt got ABS thats the Ultima GTR

ffs all i said in a nutshell was that i though cars with out ABS more dangreous to drive ive driven cars with and without ABS and ill tell u which i prefere when having to emergncey break at 60 - 70 mph

MKIII 138
lol, i was waiting for the comment though. cars have done without abs for a long time the cup isnt insured by greenlight yet a lotus elise is ? like i said kneejerk reaction or that some young people are stretching thier finance and because the cup is sooo cheap they can afford to buy and its too much of a handfull.
its nowt to do with ABS, the cup is seriously quick in the right hands but is also unforgiving, just because the majority of people now require nannying electronics to see them about there daliy business doesnt mean we all do.
i was pigged off at greenlight for not insuring a cup, when they insure a 255bhp rwd clio instead with a legendary twichy ass !?! madness

ohh and stopping distances are greater with ABS thats a fact.

Last edited:
  Astra SRi T
meggerman said:
lol, i was waiting for the comment though. cars have done without abs for a long time the cup isnt insured by greenlight yet a lotus elise is ? like i said kneejerk reaction or that some young people are stretching thier finance and because the cup is sooo cheap they can afford to buy and its too much of a handfull.
its nowt to do with ABS, the cup is seriously quick in the right hands but is also unforgiving, just because the majority of people now require nannying electronics to see them about there daliy business doesnt mean we all do.
i was pigged off at greenlight for not insuring a cup, when they insure a 255bhp rwd clio instead with a legendary twichy ass !?! madness

ohh and stopping distances are greater with ABS thats a fact.

thank you for explaining this to me, thats all my original question was 'is this car dangerous with out ABS with the power it has, but from half way thro this thread people started taking the pi55 (not u)

Skoda Fabia vRS
the ABS on the Mk1 Clios is really really shocking, id go as far to say its dangerous, i hate mine

Ford Mustang 5.0
Its all down to claim statistics the 172 Cup has been really bad for us for 2 years running making a substantial loss for the insurer. Whereas the 172, 182, 182 cup and V6 have all made the insurer a profit with only a handful of minor claims.

I think we have had more fault accidents on the 172 Cup than all the other clio models put together. Theft claims are not an issue its just fault/driver error accidents.

The insurer therefore stop doing the car that is losing them money and continue to quote the profitable vehicles.

We would happily quote for the 172 cup if the claim stats were better.

We insure a number of older hot hatches 205, Renault 5 Turbo etc that have been highly modified and do not have ABS....These do not have the bad accident record of the 172 Cup so don't think its purely to do with ABS.....but not having ABS can't help.

Maybe the Cup Drivers just driver harder ;)

Ford Mustang 5.0
Its all down to claim statistics the 172 Cup has been really bad for us for 2 years running making a substantial loss for the insurer. Whereas the 172, 182, 182 cup and V6 have all made the insurer a profit with only a handful of minor claims.

I think we have had more fault accidents on the 172 Cup than all the other clio models put together. Theft claims are not an issue its just fault/driver error accidents.

The insurer therefore stop doing the car that is losing them money and continue to quote the profitable vehicles.

We would happily quote for the 172 cup if the claim stats were better.

We insure a number of older hot hatches 205, Renault 5 Turbo etc that have been highly modified and do not have ABS....These do not have the bad accident record of the 172 Cup so don't think its purely to do with ABS.....but not having ABS can't help.

Maybe the Cup Drivers just drive harder ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
so what we are saying is 172cup drivers don't know how to drive? ;) statistical fact. LMFAO!!!!!

Ford Mustang 5.0
seb182 said:
so what we are saying is 172cup drivers don't know how to drive? ;) statistical fact. LMFAO!!!!!
Think its probably just 2 years of bad luck. If the driver who crahsed the cup had bought a different car they probably would of crashed that instead.....Insurer work on statistics on profit and loss so if a car causes them continuous problems they just won't offer quotes anymore.

If the situation was reveresed and it was the 172, 182 and 182cup that had continuously bad claims statistics we would be saying no to those models but providing cover on the 172 Cup.....So we are not simpy being 172cupist :)

We had the same problem with the Nissan 200sx and BMW M3 in relation to claim costs far outwaying premium income.

I'm sure there a number of 172 Cup drivers on this forum who have driven there car for years claim free. If we had some of those guys insured with is maybe our statistics would look much better :)

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

cock mobile.
neil@greenlightinsurance said:
Its all down to claim statistics the 172 Cup has been really bad for us for 2 years running making a substantial loss for the insurer.

That's the best news I've heard in a while!

Am so upset that Insurance companies aren't making enough money :dead:

A Fast One!
ant said:
drive carefully then, cos statistically one of them wont be there next week ;)
:eek::eek:

well one of those was my car as well!! so i hope that statistics dont count for a lot..... or its the other driver that has the issues! he did have a chavvy exhaust that wasnt sitting level on the rear bumper!

seb182 said:
incorrect you cheeky bugger! :rasp:

sh33n said:
That's the best news I've heard in a while!

Am so upset that Insurance companies aren't making enough money :dead:
yeh me too mate! honest! :approve::approve:

Alex

172 M69 eater
i just did a quote with greenlight but they were £400+ away from directline :( was happy to give the money to someone who supported the club if it was close!!

320d
Just fill out the form online Gareth they'll get back to you the following day

I've just paid up for Greenlight 2 days back, good quote, the people on the end of the phone speak english unlike alot of other companies... can't complain :)

Shhh
neil@greenlightinsurance

I emailed your company about my 182 for a quote. Im a little worried about the issue with a 182 and the cup packs.

Currently im with Admiral, renewal is 1st may 06, and im paying a fortune. Have a quote with priveledge for £481 full comp on a 04 182 in racing blue with stripes.

Ive mentioned this on the forum before, im worried about optional extras fitted to the car from build. I bought the 182 with both cup packs (spoilers and suspension). When they search for my car on the system (Reg- HV04KXX) it comes up as a 1.6 Dynamique. Therefore i have to carry out the manual process of a quote, and have to fill in the modification side of thing. My last company i declared the optional extras, which pushed me premium up £200.

Some people say on here that optional extras are not to be declared to the insurance company as you would not normally declare different standards in trim etc, and it would be hard to declare it all on a 10yr old car that you know nothing about.

Whats the best advice on how to deal with insurance companies over this dilema. Dont want to leave myself open to void insurance, but also dont want to give the company extra £££ in cash for things that are not an issue.

cock mobile.
neil@greenlightinsurance said:
Unfortunatley the more money Insurance Companies lose the more premiums increase :(

tou·ché :evil:

Like most of these companies, they are never happy with what the earn:S

Ford Mustang 5.0
AliasOmega said:
neil@greenlightinsurance

I emailed your company about my 182 for a quote. Im a little worried about the issue with a 182 and the cup packs.

Currently im with Admiral, renewal is 1st may 06, and im paying a fortune. Have a quote with priveledge for £481 full comp on a 04 182 in racing blue with stripes.

Ive mentioned this on the forum before, im worried about optional extras fitted to the car from build. I bought the 182 with both cup packs (spoilers and suspension). When they search for my car on the system (Reg- HV04KXX) it comes up as a 1.6 Dynamique. Therefore i have to carry out the manual process of a quote, and have to fill in the modification side of thing. My last company i declared the optional extras, which pushed me premium up £200.

Some people say on here that optional extras are not to be declared to the insurance company as you would not normally declare different standards in trim etc, and it would be hard to declare it all on a 10yr old car that you know nothing about.

Whats the best advice on how to deal with insurance companies over this dilema. Dont want to leave myself open to void insurance, but also dont want to give the company extra £££ in cash for things that are not an issue.
The way we rate vehicles with optional extras is:

If the the vehicle was purchased new with these parts (ie cup packs) then these would not be classed as modifications. We make a note in the modifications section on our system that the vehicle has the options fitted but they do not increase the premium.

If however you bought the car as a standard 182 and then went back 6 months later and to the cup packs fitted these would be classed as an aftermarket "Modification". In the case of the Cup Packsn we would not increase the annual premium so would just need to note them on our system (if you fitted the cup packs mid policy term the insurer may charge an administration fee).

Basically if you a took a policy with us on a 182 with both cup packs fitted you would recieve a proposal form to check and sign. This is contract between you and the insurer. This contract would show "Cup Suspension" and "Cup Spoilers" under the vehicle modifications section so you could see for sure that they were covered under the policy .

Hope this helps. ( I cannot comment on how other brokers treat optional extras so the above will not apply for all insurers)

Best Regards
Neil

Last edited:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i thought that aswell mate but i didn't want to say. gutted for you. :( :(