ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what fuel to use in 182

Ford Focus ST2
whats the best fuel to use in the 182?

and i know not to use diesel :cool:

No really, whats the best fuel to use?

Shell Optimax
BP Ultimate
Or normal unleaded?

I have been told you HAVE to use BP Ultimate or Optimax but not sure now true this is?

Thanks
Rob

Clio 172mk2
u dont have to use it at the min all cars made must be able to run on 95 octane and 97/99 .

but it is recomended that u use 97/99 , so yea optimax

a test was dont on fith gear last year, on standard cars clios 1.2s no advantages found bhp wise , type-r found 1-3 bhp extra from optimax, scooby was about 15bhp extra fom optimax

overall optimax showed best results

end of day choice is yers some ppl on here do run them on standard

LY V6 with Recaros
I went to fill up at Shell yesterday but they had no Optimax, so I had to put normal Unleaded in as i was empty, didn't fill it up though, is it ok to do that if it's only once??

optimax/super/ultimate (in no particular order) for those that run on 95 RON it says 98 on the flap if you're too tight to put the right fuel in go trade in for a diesel ;)

Black/Gold 182
Optimax is recommended for its detergents, but I think any performance gains are largely imagined. The december issue of Evo magazine did a test using a golf gti, tesco's new 99 RON unleaded out performed Optimax in their test - but the actual increase isn't much

I recently run a couple of tanks of optimax, I didn't notice any difference so gone back to tesco 99 (cheaper)

M140i/Orange 182
i use tesco 99 RON after a couple of tanks i did notice slightly better throttle response. good stuff !

106 GTi
Loony said:
optimax/super/ultimate (in no particular order) for those that run on 95 RON it says 98 on the flap if you're too tight to put the right fuel in go trade in for a diesel ;)

LOL

Ran mine on Optimax from new ( only because its cheaper than the BP though Loony ;) ) Will try the Tesco 99 when it makes it up here tho, its reached Bristol now so it working its way north!

r-jay said:
LOL

Ran mine on Optimax from new ( only because its cheaper than the BP though Loony ;) ) Will try the Tesco 99 when it makes it up here tho, its reached Bristol now so it working its way north!

I tend to go for esso super as its normally cheaper than optimax and ultimate locally.

Ford Focus ST2
i dont know what fuel i well use yet, i dont wanna f~~~ the engine. and i am not after performace boost.

As going for a 1.4 MG (103BHP) to a 182 is good enough for me :D

Or going from my Astra company car 1.7 DTI!!!!!!

So the 182 is going to be enough LOL :rasp:

I am loving the smileys on the site LOL :dead::S:quiet:

307 diesel & 1.2 TCE Clio
I use optimax all the way, mine just runs better on the stuff, smoother idle and a slight increase in throttle response.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Mine has had optimax from birth and i wont use anything else.Tried and tested on my old 02 172...

ian

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I normal use Shell Optimax, but when it run out a few weeks back i used Tesco 99,for a few times, not much difference in performance, but Evo magazine recomends that you use Optimax now and again because of it cleaning abilty.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Optimax for me . Top Gear or 5th Gear , can't remember which program it was , did a test using normal unleaded , BP Ultimate and Optimax . I think my memories goin there were 3 cars but i can only remember 2 , Golf gti and Subaru . Optimax came out on top with the Subabru gaining 25bhp , the Golf was just a slight increase in bhp . You will probably only notice a difference in a highly tuned car .By todays standards 172 / 182 isn't massive bhp anymore .

Normal unleaded is 95 Ron , it used to be 97 Ron years ago , so its not as refined as it used to be . Then you had super unleaded which was 98 Ron .
Optimax is 98 Ron plus it has detergents in it that are " supposed " to keep the engine cleaner .
BP Ultimate is 97 Ron , the same as normal unleaded used to be years ago .

So its a matter of choice really . All engines should run on all grades of fuel . I think there is a bit of a placebo effect though , people saying that their car feels so much better, pulls better etc ..... with Optimax only because they expect it to feel better . Imo i would only use Optimax , and thats all i've ever used in my car . Its only about 5p a litre more and i'm quite happy to pay that little bit extra for the " best " . When you go out on the p*ss at the weekend would you not buy a drink in a pub cos it was slightly more expensive than the last pub ?? Probably not .

MrBillyUK !

Ive run optimax from new in my 182 and recently tried out sainsburys super`97 and bp ultimate, i found the the super to be quite good , it felt more responsive and torquier, i then tried bp ultimate and it felt quite flat.
Thing is i think its more down to how fresh the fuel is, this particular sainsburys station is very busy and is re fueled regualy, i think in the future now i`m gonna take it in turns to go to each shell and sainsburys stations to get the best of both worlds.

Black 182 w/ cup packs
Used optimax from start, 2500 miles later had to fill up with tesco99 last week as optimax had run out around here. Noticed mpg dropped from 34 to 31 mpg (exact, not using trip computer) - anyone else noticed a change like this?

182 Full Fat
Tesco 99 is like Rocket fuel in my opinion. Im sure you can tell the difference, and its not just in the mind. Think the actual Ron rating is 98.6, which gives them the right to call it 99 rather than Optimax which is something like 97.4 so has to be rounded down to be called 97. Could be talking nonsense!

ianlowry, yes.

I use ordinary unleaded. When I do use Optimax or other higher octane I notice little or no difference in power but I do notice a measurable DROP in mpg. Surprising as it may seem ordinary unleaded gives me the best mpg at around 37 mpg, Optimax drops this to around 34 mpg (measured, not trip comp).

I'd have expected the other way around ! :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Mainly Optimax but have been forced to use normal Unleaded on a long motorway journey home when EVERY filling station was out of Super...

Nothing difference in performance but MPG was definitely worse.

182 Full Fat
Dave finney said:
ianlowry, yes.

I do notice a measurable DROP in mpg. Surprising as it may seem ordinary unleaded gives me the best mpg at around 37 mpg, Optimax drops this to around 34 mpg (measured, not trip comp).

I'd have expected the other way around ! :)

This is because Super unleaded combusts at a higher pressure, thus causing more of a so called bang which in turn improves performance but also uses slightly more fuel. Geeky bit over for the day now!:rasp:

Red Clio 197 F1
Over the last 4,000 miles I have used Shell Optimax (1,000), Total exillium (1,000) BP Ultimate (1,000) and Tesco Super (1,000).

All I can say is that the car is performing a lot better using all of the above but I have carried on with Tesco as it is 99RON, tends to be cheaper and you get clubcard points.

Bloody Tesco they always seem to win some how!!

IMHO you should use Optimax or Ultimate or similar. There are a couple reasons I can see:

1) These fancy fuels have cleaning agents. It is a fact that a clean engine runs better. Over time, if you do not use these fuels, the performance of your engine will drop as the buildup around the valves etc. increases. Plus it will extend the longevity of the car. As Loony says if you are buying these cars and are reluctant to buy the "correct" fuel, maybe you should have considered a DCi.

2) Your car was designed to use 98RON. Some engines (I am not sure that the 182 is one, but I do believe it is) will adjust timing etc when it senses that the fuel is not upto par. Therefore you will see decreased performance, and more importantly if you are watching the pennies, you may see a worse MPG. So in the long run, using 95RON fuel may cost you money. Also because of this effect, looking at it for the other side of the fence, there maybe a perceived improvement in performance when switching up to 98RON, when in actual fact its the car running as normal.

Now as a choice between higher grade fuels??? That would have to be driver preference. If I were you and was worried about getting the best fuel for the car I'd try a tank of each and see which one feels best. It will not wreck the car to try. Nor will the odd tank of 95RON here or there if you are desperate.

To me the true test of these fuels will be in older performance engines that don't declare 98RON recommended and where the engine management doesn't change the parameters. Then you will see the true worth of them bhp wise.

Well that is my view and I will stick to Optimax thank you very much :)

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
I use optimax, but sometimes i have used unleaded when in the middle of no where such as wales :)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I use Optimax when available, I have had to switch from optimax to tesco 99 and there is a noticable difference, my car deffo runs better on optimax.

There a limited stocks of optimax around at the moment but there was a rumour going around that optimax production was going to stop and that they were producing a new fuel with 100 RON - Proper Petrol!!

Dirty E91
I normally use Sainsburys Super 97 ron (90p a litre) or BP Ultimate or Optimax dependant on whats nearest and how close I am to empty.

MINI JCW
I have used optimax from day one and the reason for this is because other than the Tesco fuel which I dont believe you can get up north, it is the only fuel which is 98 ron and thats what Renault reccommend and also for the cleaning agents which should ensure the engine still runs at optimum performance as the miles clock up.

I have to agree that using 98 Ron will only make the car run at optimum performance, where using lower grade fuels will slightly decrease performance although I doubt it is noticable.

Ziel Nurburgring
95ron stuff gives me donkeh a lumpy tickover and loss of power, the other performance petrols all give better performance. ive found that optimax gives a better MPG over the others but the performance difference is tiny. Stick with Optimax for the detergents

Dirty E91
Sir_Dave said:
Tesco 99, or Optimax/BP Ultimate if i cant find a tesco's.

Read Evo a couple of months ago . . . it wasnt Optimax that gave the most power, it was Tesco 99 :approve:

Although they did say at the end that they would use optimax every so often for the proven cleaning benefits that it has.

Clio 182
Ive noticed a smoother tick over and acceleration since switching to the higher rating stuff. Use whichever garage I am closest to when I'm near empty, but stick to the higher RON stuff.