ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what does everyone make of Gas Flowed Heads?

I believe that the standard heads are infact pretty damn good because they're cnc'd in the factory. Think there are very marginal gains to be had from further work.

I could be wrong though.

ITB'd MK1
biggest gain you'll see from headwork is torque really. Had a look over CNCheads stand at autosport and there was some nice work.....though i personally hated their F4R head design

clio sport 172
Iv never really looked into it much. iv just not seen of heard of anyone on here doing it before. The VW guys seem to rave about it.

Ph1
I'd highly recommend it. As Danny said torque is the main gain. I managed to get TB levels of peak torque (175lb/ft) running just Piper cams and the usual bolt on's.

There are decent gains to be had.

clio sport 172
Iv read that's its a good mod on other sites. And i thought £750 was a good price too. Added with some lower profile cams that is.

ITB'd MK1
Iv never really looked into it much. iv just not seen of heard of anyone on here doing it before. The VW guys seem to rave about it.

I've done lots of head for customers. Normally as part of complete engine builds in honesty, but it's not that unusual. The thing is, the F4R is pretty decent to start with so it's a bit harder to find the gains. Peak numbers often dont change much, but if you look at the midrange you see a nice chunk of extra, which is what makes the car quicker

Ph1
Cams headwork and map isnt good VFM. For that price youve better off jumping straight to TB's or saving for a charger.

I only got headwork and cams as roughly 6 years ago there wasnt many modding options available for these.

clio sport 172
I would be curious to see how there machined. Whether they use a five axis miller or just a 3 axis. If i knew how/ what to do id attempt it myself at work. My boss seems to think there is a lot too it tho and says it would take a lot of programming!! Out of my league i think

Its something im looking into ATM, a fully worked head, 3 angle'd seats, skim, new valves and stem seals is about £800 - £1000 from the quotes ive had.

On a limited budget theres probably better ways to spend that money, or as previously said put it towards TB's or a charger.

2005 Nissan Navara
There are plenty of gains from the F4 head, it's way too biased towards swirl in my opinion, and in doing so cfm really is reduced. There are ALOT of areas of sheer in the intake, which disrupts flow and causes a poor velocity gradient...takes a fair bit of work to iron this out.

Should have some reliable before and after results from the dyno very soon.

ITB'd MK1
There are plenty of gains from the F4 head, it's way too biased towards swirl in my opinion, and in doing so cfm really is reduced. There are ALOT of areas of sheer in the intake, which disrupts flow and causes a poor velocity gradient...takes a fair bit of work to iron this out.

Should have some reliable before and after results from the dyno very soon.

I did mean a bit harder than an old 8v or the like where much bigger gains ar normally more obviously found from poor castings. I know there's plenty you can do, just a bit less obvious to the un-trained eye ;)

2005 Nissan Navara
Sorry wasn't specifically aiming at you matey, was just my take on it

I can't remember the last time I worked an 8v head...prehistoric or what :p
I can actually, it was an rs turbo about 5yrs ago!!!

ITB'd MK1
Sorry wasn't specifically aiming at you matey, was just my take on it

I can't remember the last time I worked an 8v head...prehistoric or what :p
I can actually, it was an rs turbo about 5yrs ago!!!

ewww, nasty head. Not quite as bad as a nissan silvia though :dead: Truely terrible. Last one i did was for my own 205 gti

Lionel Richie
danny any idea who did the head on fmp's old engine? i hope it wasn't you! its f**king shocking, not 1 port the same!