ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what did you run down pod

clio 172 sport, zxr6
no not been this year is to far away but i ran quicker at york this year got a 13.2 with nos and i got 14.5 with out. changed the seats for light weight buckets

PHS 1 172 SILVER
no not been this year is to far away but i ran quicker at york this year got a 13.2 with nos and i got 14.5 with out. changed the seats for light weight buckets
makes a difference just strip it all out that what im going to do i want 1 second of my time

PHS 1 172 SILVER
will you guys be up for a rwyb day next year ?
i think every1 will be up for that, the next one next year is not till march, will be good to see what mine is running after cristmas when i get my chip in and car stripped

Last edited:
  m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
i tryed sorting one out last year at a show i know there abit chavy shows but its a good chance to meet up and run down the strip or we can all go down next year i think theres one on the 4th of november this year flame and thunder show i think

clio 172 sport, zxr6
this is true but i would better off losing a couple of stone my self as well :clown: bit bored of the 1/4 mile now track days are better. but it is good to go up against a scobbie that doesnt know about the nos, last time at the pod this bloke was giving it the big one about how it was 400 + bhp had the bonnet up the full show all the way down the queue then i finished first and he sid he didnt get the power down and i spun through 1st 2nd and 3rd

PHS 1 172 SILVER
im not going to run my till after christmas dont trust the roads and just ran it so want to see the difference is when im done, but im sure other people will be up for that

Audi TT 225 Quattro
went today, was an awesome day for pod and got some good times in and beat my previous best of 14.4. got 14.117 @ 98 which im well happy with:D and its running lean lol....

mk1 Hybrid - 13.7@100 mph
16v hybrid got a 14.0 :)

striped mk1 with standard williams engine :) blew my gearbox today as well :(

PHS 1 172 SILVER
this is true but i would better off losing a couple of stone my self as well :clown: bit bored of the 1/4 mile now track days are better. but it is good to go up against a scobbie that doesnt know about the nos, last time at the pod this bloke was giving it the big one about how it was 400 + bhp had the bonnet up the full show all the way down the queue then i finished first and he sid he didnt get the power down and i spun through 1st 2nd and 3rd
ha ha love it, i love it when people do that and wipe the smile of there faces, there was quite a few people there with nos on sat. saw a man thro a paddy in his car because he fucked up his start lol

williams and trophy
lol....not mine. dont know whats been done to it. but an 1800 to get that low would be using the easy option (nos) or seriously seriously tuned.

a 2.0 however.....would make that fairly easily if the cars stripped.

my old valver, with all seats and spare running on 16s used to run 15.9

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
2 live why spend all tht money tuning a f7r when u can just put a 172 engine in it for peanuts and run a 14.01

172 Cup
quickest i could manage was 14.8@93
couldnt get the launch right kept spinning up on my crap federal tyres
got a viper decat cat back and group n map

was good to meet you foxon in the queue

my clio will be for sale in the next couple of weeks, decided its time to go back to turbo, pulsar gtir here i come

lollerskates-small.gif

fad

Clio 182 FF
Anyone got an idea how quick a stock 182 ff is on the strip?

Hmmm id be interested in this, see how slow mine would be up the strip compared to others haha !

I had a Corsa that ran 15 dead just hopng the 182 I just bought can compare!

I know damn well a Clio woldnt take the 35 runs I did in one day with the XE'd Corsa lol!

Nippy white cup
14.7 in a totally standard 172 Cup, all interior in etc, it's got a 14.5 in it im sure of it ;)

I'm with 2live though, 14.0 is a bit poor. If I had spent K's I would want low 13s minimum, either get some practice in or take it back!

depends also on driver and who was running what on the day imo. With back seats and spare out on mine I'd be absolutely certain of a 13'something if Chris can get 14.1's with just the back seats out and I could pull from that when stripped, not running right due to 2 broken sensors and only 217bhp.

Yeah yeah stripped...probably 40kgs lighter than std (if that) but with a 85kg passenger ;)

Chris

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
A 14.0 not good?

It takes a lot more power increase than most of you seem to think to reduce quarter mile times. Its a 4th power rule. To get your quarter mile down from 15.0 to 14.0 takes a 31% improvement in power to weight. If you haven't reduced the weight that equates to a 172 having to produce 227 bhp. And 227 bhp out of an already well-developed motor is necessarily going to be expensive.

Just to give you an idea how much extra horsepower it takes to get quarter mile times down, reducing a 15.0 time to a 13.0 time would take a 77% increase in power to weight, ie, without any weight decrease 304 bhp out of a 172.

williams and trophy
2 live why spend all tht money tuning a f7r when u can just put a 172 engine in it for peanuts and run a 14.01

lol.all what money??

the mods iv done would cost far less than buying an f4r, and weighing up modded f7 against stock f4.......sorry but theres no competition.

but then if i did fit an f4......why?? what possible gains could be had over the f7??

williams and trophy
A 14.0 not good?

It takes a lot more power increase than most of you seem to think to reduce quarter mile times. Its a 4th power rule. To get your quarter mile down from 15.0 to 14.0 takes a 31% improvement in power to weight. If you haven't reduced the weight that equates to a 172 having to produce 227 bhp. And 227 bhp out of an already well-developed motor is necessarily going to be expensive.

Just to give you an idea how much extra horsepower it takes to get quarter mile times down, reducing a 15.0 time to a 13.0 time would take a 77% increase in power to weight, ie, without any weight decrease 304 bhp out of a 172.

so the remap on mine made a 15% improvement. not bad for £300 lol. chip wizards....now theres ya man ;)
the cams made a measly 6.2% improvement.

engine std. 14.6
with cams 14.4
cams n remap 14.0

and no. i wouldnt say a 14.0 is good for the mods done.

this is a time the mk1s have been producing for years, with a lot less mods. even putting the power/weight ratio in favour of the 172s they arent producing the goods.

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
A 14.0 not good?

so the remap on mine made a 15% improvement. not bad for £300 lol. chip wizards....now theres ya man ;)
the cams made a measly 6.2% improvement.

engine std. 14.6
with cams 14.4
cams n remap 14.0

and no. i wouldnt say a 14.0 is good for the mods done.

this is a time the mk1s have been producing for years, with a lot less mods. even putting the power/weight ratio in favour of the 172s they arent producing the goods.

My calculator gets slightly different answers to yours, but not greatly so. Mine says your remap was worth 11.9%. It isn't surprising you'd get that good a result from a remap after changing the cams. A remap on a standard engine wouldn't give as much bang for your buck. And its not surprising you only got 6% from the cams alone when you didn't do a remap for them when you put them in.

williams and trophy
sorry was going off your 31% per second gain, and rounding up/down

and you think a 14.1 is great??

thats only a 17.9% increase for the huge outlay from a standard one. lets work this out, cars price, what £4-5k? + about another £4k mods ish.

so thats 100% of the value of the car spent on mods to get just a 17% increase in speed??

your formulaes are making it sound even worse than i ever could lol.

Polo GTi

haha I spent £600 on my cams and got a 14.0, dont think I'd be buying a 172 engine and fitting it for that?

2live spent even less and got the same.

Mine went from a 14.8 car standard to 14.0 with Cams and exhaust.

depends also on driver and who was running what on the day imo. With back seats and spare out on mine I'd be absolutely certain of a 13'something if Chris can get 14.1's with just the back seats out and I could pull from that when stripped, not running right due to 2 broken sensors and only 217bhp.

Yeah yeah stripped...probably 40kgs lighter than std (if that) but with a 85kg passenger ;)

Chris

still lighter than mine fella! ;) lol

we'll have another do when mine comes back after winter... who knows, may do my first ever SQM! lol

Stu just needs to practice, will get into the 13's easy imo

(changing at 7500rpm may also help instead of changing at 7k as well Stu ;) lol)