ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what details to collect after an accident-insurance

clio campus sport
Hi there,
Hope this is the correct place to put this thread.
Slightly off topic but you guys on here have always provided me with top notch advice-thanks very much!
So someone has basically reversed into my fathers car in a hospital car park and left a note on the windscreen "sorry i reversed into your car heres my number"
He's asked me if I can handle it as he's in poor health at the moment. Obviously I am happy to do so but I'm in the fortunate position to never have had to deal with insurance or a claim or anything before- when I ring this guy up, what details do I want from him? I know its "insurance details" but what am I actually after here?
I was going to ring the hopsital up too and see if they have the incident on cctv just for proof/things go sour/dodgey phone number provided.
Its a big volvo xc90 that my dad owns so no idea how someone can manage to bump that in an empty carpark but hey ho things happen.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
James

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Name, address, contact number, car reg, insurance company, date/time of incident.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Might be worth offering the guy a non-insurance option. Tell him you'll get three quotes to repair the damage and ask if he'd consider sending a cheque to cover the costs? It may be preferable to everyone involved if he seems like a decent kind of guy. That's how my Dad handled it when he drove into someone's parked car and left a note with his number on.

Might be worth offering the guy a non-insurance option. Tell him you'll get three quotes to repair the damage and ask if he'd consider sending a cheque to cover the costs? It may be preferable to everyone involved if he seems like a decent kind of guy. That's how my Dad handled it when he drove into someone's parked car and left a note with his number on.
I'd be looking at this too depending on how bad the damage is. If it's minimal, this would work in the interests of both parties.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Do you legally have to give them your address?

Seem to remember reading once about a guy who had an accident. The 3rd party was being very aggressive so the guy called the police, told them that he was worried about repercussions if he gave him his address, and they said just give him your name, insurance details and reg no?

I can't imagine address is even relevant - the insurance companies will keep those on file so there is no need for one party to know the adress of the other one.

MR2 Mk1.5
Name
Contact number
Reg number
Insurers Name
Policy number (if it is to hand)

Do not rule out settling it privately.

Thank him for his note, it's unfortunately a rare thing these days

clio campus sport
Cheers guys. Got in touch with the fellow and he provided all his details no worries and I gave hime mine (my dads)
Discussed a non-insurance option but its the plastic part of the bumper with the parking sensors damaged and also the painted metal parts too-with it being such a big car I think it would be best to go through the insurance. Rang up and put the claim in and youre right Jesus-they do all the work.
Thanks again for all your help everyone, really appreciate it :)
James