ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what controls the flashing of the indicator lights ?

this is just for my own knowledge really.

been trying to get my indicators going over the last day, today i went to a scrapyard and got couple of parts. 1 flasher relay and 1 hazard light switch (along with wheel nut wrench, tow eye, handle for jack)

all of which i paid only £2 for as the relay was soaked in water, and the hazard wasnt clicking very well and i didnt have the car to test it.

now, when i tried them , still not working. so i fitted the "new" hazard switch and also removed the cover off the relay and manually pressed the tiny little lever on the side of the coil ... indicators light, depending on how i hold it - they flash.

also when i bridge out 30 + 86 on the relay board they light up solid, no flashing .... hence my query really.

so im going to get a relay from renualt (£36+VAT !!) and a hazard also (£34+VAT renault or £20 GSF car parts) ..... but what controls the flashing ? the realy doesnt have any symbols that say it does it ... and i doubt its the stalk or the hazard switch ..... so what is it ?

is it the relay and its just not pictured ? as its not a standard relay and is specifically for the indicators ?

thanks guys !!!

I'm not sure what car your talking about but on the mk2 clio I thought the UCH ran the control for the indicators such as speed of flash etc! Could be wrong though

i was told, and on renault forum, the uch model was only introduced early 2000 models.

i renewed the relay, and now they flash fine when the ignition is first turned on, but when the lights that illuminate during the startup 'test' go off. they start blinking very fast - like a bulb is out.

ive tried cleaning the contacts on rear lights, renewed all indicator bulbs ... still cant get them working normally.

im going to get some electrical contact spray, spray a little on the terminals inside the relay board and rear lights, bulb holders etc and see.

really not holding my breath tho.

there is a piggy backed wire (as standard) that piggy backed to the wiper relay. and the wipers are also intermittantly working and not turning off. il try and renew that next !

any advice ?

if i bridge 30 + 87a on the relay location, the lights all light fine ? does that rule out bad earth ?

cleaned the battery -ve leads, removed + cleaned ring and refitted. no change.
new battery.

was working this morning for 5minutes. then back to flashin double time and dim. sometimes not at all.

a renault guy told me that the 1999 relay board/uch doesnt give the same amount of trouble as the later ones, as the earlier ones had renewable relays (like mine) .... still not ruleing it out tho, just want to be 100% sure it is it