ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What can i insure at 19?

Fiesta Silver Limited Ed.
Was 19 a month ago got a 1.2 16v, got a bit of money...thinking of making a change....know my cars worth around £3000, got about another £2000 to play with.....insurance is obv the killer....

do a 350mile round commute per week to uni and back etc

advice welcome

never actually thought about that.....dont know whether or not to wait a year or so then just get a 1*2 sport

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Stick with what you've got. Keep the money for having a good time at uni or save it for a nice car for when you finish.

185lb/ft dCi
i wouldn't have a sport for doing that commute to uni and back. I do a 200 mile commute to uni and back and it costs me just under £20. I'd get a meggy dci and put an rs kit on it, would like very nice!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Best way IMO. I've never regretted keeping my 1.1l 106 for six years while i was at college, uni and starting work. Then I bought my 172 in March when i could afford the insurance and running costs.

Integra Type-R DC2
Aye, best way to do it is just accept you wont realistically get anything massively fast for a while. Im happy with the way my Dynamique is at the moment and ill just keep this till im earning a good wage and have a few NCBs, then look at something nicer.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Errr i do the same milage a week in a MX5 turbo. I do spend more on petrol a week than my mates do on beer a month.

My insurance is £800 and i'm 19

i wouldn't have a sport for doing that commute to uni and back. I do a 200 mile commute to uni and back and it costs me just under £20. I'd get a meggy dci and put an rs kit on it, would like very nice!

Yer been thinking of that, id save my money though and buy a sport once finished uni. Sorry if i didnt make it clear. Just gonna save my peenies. Its overall a nice car for what i need i suppose. Just got a private plate aswell name:

J400 BEA

(James Beacham)

id say w8, (19 also)did quotes and not even getting prices for a 1*2, changed my age to 21 and insuring a 172 will be about 1200 on parents nearly 2k on my own 182 isnt too far off, from the results all depends on how long you hav had ur license for, with direct line £80 a month tpft if i upgraded to f/c about £120

Artic Blue 182 FF
buggar it, buy a fast car and be the envy of all your mates.
I had my 182 when i was 20 and in my second year of uni. Though i only live 10 miles away.

Beast
Valver! I was £1100 to get insured on one in my second year of driving, with zero noclaims. Good sleeper-cars too, can outpace a lot of other stuff if u keep the revs up!

tiTTy & SV650
I did 800 miles a week in my 182 for 18 months and it was great.

When I was at uni I had a 1.6 205 gti and it was great also... lol

when I was in this position I got my 1.6 clio and that was a big enough step. Its nippy, can do some basic mods to it to make sound and look better, get some eibach sportlines and koni yellow shocks and it will handle really well. Its a nice stepping stone between a 1.2 and a hot hatch. its also reasonable to insure adn run!

172 Race Car
I used to work with a guy who was paying 3,500 quid a year to insure a Astra Gsi running 45 webber carbs at aged 18. and that was 10 years ago!

S2000
I've not read the rest of the replies here, but what I would say is wait until you have had you license for 2 years and thats when you can really find the price will drop. I had my hybrid insured for just under £800 a year at 19.

sdaf
Im 18 and wigth a 172 its £1700 insurance.

No offence but thats bulls**t!

your either doing something dodgy or on mummy and daddys insurance.

should be double at least no matter where you live.

thats not true its dependable on the area and where its kept etc iv 19 and iv had quote of £1400 with 0 no claims but liscense for 2 years, seems believeable to me i cant insure a focus rs for £1900 on my own policy with flux

172 cup

thats not true its dependable on the area and where its kept etc iv 19 and iv had quote of £1400 with 0 no claims but liscense for 2 years, seems believeable to me i cant insure a focus rs for £1900 on my own policy with flux

Well I have just done a quote on my car, 18, 0 no claims, my postcode (which is decent), kept in my garage.

Came out 2800 with a 700 excess so not a chance at that price.

Well I have just done a quote on my car, 18, 0 no claims, my postcode (which is decent), kept in my garage.

Came out 2800 with a 700 excess so not a chance at that price.

Have you checked what Grade your postcode is? I know some 'good postcodes' which have terrible insurance ratings because of areas that share the broader part of the postcode! Also if he is in Scotland they all get better insurance quotes than the us in England. If I moved to Scotland my insurance would HALF! I live in one of the best postcode risk areas in England!

a valver in my name was £500, mods declared its £545(stuck the mrs on the insurance at the same time.)

im 19, 2 years driving, 2 years ncb, IAM, parents and gf as named drivers on the policy.

S3, HD Nightster
Im 18 and wigth a 172 its £1700 insurance.

I'm thinking that. I'm 19, with 2 years no claims, insuring a 172, paying £1800 a year tpft. You better be talking s**t anyway! lol

Go for it by the way! It's a hell of a laugh having a quick car at this age whatever anyone says!

The only question is, is it worth that much money to YOU?