ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What camera/accessories to replace my stolen 500d?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
A bit lost here really, cant make my mind up at all.

I had my 500D kit, 50mm f1.8 and grip stolen at the weekend and the insurance have instructed jessops to deal with it. They have just rang me and we have agreed on £750 voucher as that is the new price for everything from jessops at the moment.

Now I never used the 50mm so not really bothered about replacing that, and I'll wait for a grip to come up cheap on ebay.

So basically I want to replace the 500D plus kit lens and dont mind adding to the cost. My options as I see it are below:

500D with 18-55mm IS, 430EX flash, manfrotto 190XB tripod - £817

550D with 18-55mm IS, 430 EX flash - £828

60D with 18-55mm IS - £899

Now the 500D was never very good for video at full HD so I dont think I want another really, but would like a flash and new tripod. The other 2 have better video capabilities and think its worth going for one of them.

But is the difference between a 550D and 60D worth the cost? I would like the flash but if the 60D is significantly better I can wait. From my own research of youtube reviews and internet comparisons, the 60D doesn't seem all that better than the 550D.

Anyone got any thoughts, can give me any guidance?

It has to be Canon too, purely because I have another lens.

Last edited:
Personally I'd say it would be a shame to have such a vast amount of cash available and then only get an average lens.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I'd say it would be a shame to have such a vast amount of cash available and then only get an average lens.

Yep, my thoughts too.

But Jessops charge a lot for lens' and I cant justify paying an extra £100-£200 extra for a lens over amazon/warehouse express just because I have a voucher. The camera prices aren't far off the online companies so makes sense to sort that now, get lens' later.

Yeah, guess so mate.

There's a few people who bought the wrong brand, sorry, Canon users, around these parts, so I'm sure they'll help out..

Oil Burner
Buy a body only kit as the kit lens is pants anyway. I would never buy new glass..... ever....ever. Buying used is all win if your careful - they never loose value if they stay in the same condition. So in 6 months time when you regret being tight and buying the F4 version of a lens you can sell it at no loss and upgrade to the F2.8 version.

Chances of anybody on this forum having actually used a 60d is pretty slim. Spec wise it should be much better than 500d and marginally better than the 550d.

Two medium price lenses i love from the canon range are the 10-22mm 70-200 f4, great lenses and both around the £3-400 mark.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Difference in price for a kit compared to body only is £10 less for the 550D! or £70 more for the 60D.

I'm leaning towards the 550D, the 60D has no real benefits for the cost. Might get the 550 with the flash.

I have been wanting a wide angle lens, have been looking at the 10-20mm sigma and waiting for one to come up at the right price on TP.

Have you held the 60D?

I'd take my 40D over a 550D but then it depends what matters most to you. In terms if image quality there is very little difference across the range at your average ISO speed. Ergonomics, focus speed and frame rate are what really seperates them IMO.

On the flip side, having a flash opens new worlds and a good tripod is very useful which makes the 500D deal appealing but all depends on what you shoot.

Inferno 182 CUP
if i was buying again .. id get a 50d/60d if i could afford it as its enevitable that your going to upgrade it as soon as funds allow anyway because you will want that better camera

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
MMA through swinton.

Just picked up my 550d and flash this morning. Less than a week since it was stolen so pretty impressed with them.