ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What brakes to get?

182 S
I need to upgrade my brakes but don't wanna spend a fortune on 4 pots. Which combination of discs and pads work best? Was thinking of brembo discs with carbon Lorraine pads? Any thoughts

Better than yours. C*nt.
Re: What breaks to get?

Are you an obsessive detailer, where do you drive, how hard, and are you bothered about noise?

Driving normally and within the speed limits:
Standard pads and Brembo HC disks.

Fast road:
Ferodo DS2500 on either Brembo HC or Tarox G88 disks.

Heavy track use/my driving style:
PF97 on Tarox G88s

All IMO, obviously.

Carbone Lorraine are unnecessary for road use. People on here gave me this advice ages ago and I didn't listen. They were right.

They're too good and too expensive to wear out on the way to the shops. Unless you drive like every journey is a race, I'd either use Mike's road suggestion, or use OEM pads for the road and CL/PF97 for track days.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels

Carbone Lorraine are unnecessary for road use. People on here gave me this advice ages ago and I didn't listen. They were right.

They're too good and too expensive to wear out on the way to the shops. Unless you drive like every journey is a race, I'd either use Mike's road suggestion, or use OEM pads for the road and CL/PF97 for track days.

That and they rattle like hell which becomes incredibly annoying very quickly. I hate them tbh, DS2500's imo

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I hate the old CL's. But I'm using the the updated version, very good for road and track. They squeal or kick out lots of dust.

I have the RC5's iirc... cannot stand them! They work as well as they need to, but squeel and rattle about all the time. I actually thought my engine was falling out the car

Mine squealed. They grumbled from high speed stops (probably due to grooved discs). They didn't rattle.

mine rumble too from high speed... on standard discs :(

they do stop well, but I'm sick of loud noises, so I'm going to get some stock pads, a sports cat and have a new exhaust made that's uber quiet... I'm getting to old for this crap

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I just think they may push a little too far into the 'track' side of things?
Not at all. As said, the rc5 did, squealed a lot, threw up epic dust, rattled like f**k. These don't, a bit of dust (same as ds2500), no squeal (got more squeal from my 2500's). They rattle when on/off the brakes at parking speed, but nowhere else.

And, they bite when cold, more so than ds2500's. If anything, I'd say they are slightly better than the Ferodo for everyday road use.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Do they do them for the AP's on the Vee? I've probably got another century left in mine though, so there'll probably be new ones before then!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No idea fella, but one pad that works on one car won't work on another in my experience. DS2500's work very well on the 1*2's, but I went out in an e46 M3 running them, shocking!

Golf GTD Mk7
Not at all. As said, the rc5 did, squealed a lot, threw up epic dust, rattled like f**k. These don't, a bit of dust (same as ds2500), no squeal (got more squeal from my 2500's). They rattle when on/off the brakes at parking speed, but nowhere else.

And, they bite when cold, more so than ds2500's. If anything, I'd say they are slightly better than the Ferodo for everyday road use.

what are they like on track compared Warren? I've heard that CL dust ruins alloys? cost difference?

i'm sure CL is the same Mike. Remember seeing a thread about ruined alloys due to them.

think this is dependant on compound tbh.

been running mine since sept/oct last yr and the wheels are fine. they hadnt been washed for about 3 months and they stil came up aswell as ever when clean. this was the rc5+

same as me.

only issue i have is they rattle like f**k because they have no springs on the backing.

but they awesome.

These will be the ones I have too then, as I only got them the other month. If you can put up with the noise they are great, otherwise they will do your head in! lol

agreed. its the stop start warren mentions where there annoying. other than that there awesome and better suited to my driving style / use than other pads ive used.

i got mine from kam racing.

Golf GTD Mk7
agreed. its the stop start warren mentions where there annoying. other than that there awesome and better suited to my driving style / use than other pads ive used.

i got mine from kam racing.

Ta. Not much more than ds2500s really. Nice to have another option :approve:

yeh it is, ive not used the ds2500's on the clio, but had them on my old LCR and didnt rate them at all. it was probably down to the application rather than the pad, but for the price i thought i'd give the rc5+ a go and other than the pad rattle in the carriers at low speeds / when cold, there probably one of the best feeling & performing pads ive used. really impressed with them.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Groovy. May have to have a crack at those next time round as my rears are dusty as f*ck anyway.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
what are they like on track compared Warren? I've heard that CL dust ruins alloys? cost difference?

the CL Brakes RC5+ is tons better than the other compounds (RC6, RC6E, RC8, RC8R, and the now superseded RC5) which are aimed at track / race use only. The dust on the RC5+ is minimal so will be no worse on the alloys than other manufacturers road pads

RC5+ are facking awesome, will definitely be buying them again when mine wear out - although that won't be a while as I'm not that heavy on brakes generally... lol

ph1 track weapon
yep think i may go for them too!

people say that braided lines also make a big difference. what are peoples opinions?

ed

i got them fitted with superblue fluid by fred, and tbh honest i didnt notice as much of a difference as i have on previous cars. sure it was a firmer pedal just not rock solid as i expected it to be.