ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What bends first - stub axle or actual axle?

182FF
Had a sideways incident with a kerb and the rear wheel is toeing in a fair amount. The hub nut had lost torque and the disc fully broken.

It looks like the stub axle is what has bent, does anyone know if that is the known weak point or if the axle itself tends to bend at the same time? It's probably only 1 or 2 degrees of toe in.

Also, if anyone knows where I can get a single rear disc with bearing that would be very helpful - can't seem to find them on eBay.

And... the passenger seat airbag decided to deploy so I could do with a 182 passenger seat if anyone knows of one around Warwickshire...

Yeah, I was being stupid but I was on my own and no-one was around so please spare the lectures :eek:

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Discs I would just replace the pair. Circa 90-110 from Renault.

With regards to the axle issue, I'd guess the stub would bend before the beam but I am no structural engineer.

182FF
I would but only put these ones on last weekend! Barely bedded in lol.

I can't work out if it snapped in the impact or from heat since it was dragging as I limped the car home.

2013-12-09%2023.10.37.jpg

Proper shagged...

182FF
f**k me thats a good effort!

Yeah... I think I'll hang it on the garage wall as a reminder of what not to do. Was really smoking and stinking by the time I got back, thinking actually it was dragging from bent stub axle causing over heating and then cracked disc.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I would but only put these ones on last weekend! Barely bedded in lol.

I can't work out if it snapped in the impact or from heat since it was dragging as I limped the car home.

2013-12-09%2023.10.37.jpg

Proper shagged...

Did you refit the spacers behind the disc when you fitted those? If not then maybe you haven't bent anything and have just ruined the disc and bearing.

182FF
Yeah spacer was fitted, everything was 100% before the "incident".

I'm going to pick up some parts tonight including a used disc, if it isn't in good nick I'll get in touch with G172, thanks Martin (?)

Hi Naith, why would the whole rear end need doing if it was just the stub? My plan at the moment is to replace the stub then get the alignment checked. If it's just a little out I might consider just using shims.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Chances are , if it's a big enough impact to make a noticeable toe' then it's also bent the stub axle mounting points onto the axle.

182FF
Little buggers they are too!!

UPDATE:

New stub axle on, old one very obviously bent. Alignment now looks fine by eye, will get it geo'd ASAP. Drives fine, steering wheel feels straight enough, a tiny bit left hand down but would expect right hand down if rear left was still toeing in. Possible increase (positive) in camber on left hand side, that would give left hand down. Will find out when put on 4 wheel alignment rig.

New seat obtained also, will be going in at the weekend.

Last issue to resolve - airbag and serv lights on. Anyone know how I can reset these?

PB 172 phase 2
Little buggers they are too!!

UPDATE:

New stub axle on, old one very obviously bent. Alignment now looks fine by eye, will get it geo'd ASAP. Drives fine, steering wheel feels straight enough, a tiny bit left hand down but would expect right hand down if rear left was still toeing in. Possible increase (positive) in camber on left hand side, that would give left hand down. Will find out when put on 4 wheel alignment rig.

New seat obtained also, will be going in at the weekend.

Last issue to resolve - airbag and serv lights on. Anyone know how I can reset these?

Hi, I got the same problem and I'm trying to find out what torx size bits for taking the stub axle off a clio 172 phase 2, can you help with the correct sizes please?