ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what are your thoughts on these?

ibiza cupra
i usually use a autoglym flexy blade and an autoglym leather but its a bit of a pain having to keep ringing out the shammy. are these better for soaking up more of the water before needing a good sqeeze out or is there not really that much difference.

I have three of those for my car and a couple for dad's. Only ones that I will use on my paintwork.

182 Cup
If water blades and chamois leathers are so bad for paint and produce scratches, why do the likes of Autoglym and Swissvax sell them?

182 Cup
Because people buy them. Same as anything.

Excellent answer. I was thinking more along the lines of why would a well respected car care business sell products that will scratch your car? Surely selling such a product would tarnish their reputation. Or is it simply a myth that they will, or that inproper use will cause damage?

BMW E46 330i Touring
The product itself won't scratch, but if a piece of grit gets caught between the blade / leather and your paintwork it'll get pushed across your paint.

Drying towels are more absorbant and have a thickness to them that can keep any possible pieces of grit away from the surface. Also, being so soft means they won't induce swirl marks that can come from the hard surfaces of blades and chamois'.

That waterblade is the reason i have a couple of deep scratches in my paint that i cant get out, not even with the DA :(
That was before i knew any better

ibiza cupra
i think if you use a cheap blade then it will scratch the f**k out of your paint work but i cant say ive noticed this with an auto glym one. if you get a bit of grit between anything you clean your car with it will scratch it so not sure that it would be that reason but i only really use it on the main parts of the panel to remove the majority of water other than that it is leatherd.

ibiza cupra
think it is mainly down to the cloths that people use to clean and polish/wax there cars with and the way producs are applied.

BMW E46 330i Touring
So a chamois leather won't inflict swirls but the wrong polishing cloth can? Even the softest MF can and will inflict 'some' swirling over time.

ibiza cupra
yeah, from what hear. also when you wash them if you tumble dry them rather than leaving them to hang dry then this also keeps them soft too.

Bus w**ker
Sarcasm fail PMSL.

Where did you hear that load of s**t? MFs are used as the deep pile draws any contaminants still left on the paint work away and so reduce the chance of additional swirl marks. Where as a chamois leather doesn't have pile so you simply move the contaminates around the paint work inducing swirls, just the same as if you use a flexi blade or a sponge.

Yeah using the wrong product can marr the paint work but that's different to a swirl or scratch.

All said and done, people will use what they want to use. But detailers will use tried and tested products and methods to ensure that they reduce the chance of paintwork damage as much as possible...plus a good quality MF, like the ones suggested in this thread, will soak up 10x its on weight and as a result the car will get dried quicker than using a flexi blade or chamios.

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
yeah, from what hear. also when you wash them if you tumble dry them rather than leaving them to hang dry then this also keeps them soft too.

I've always been told that you shouldn't tumble dry an MF towel or cloth. :S

If water blades and chamois leathers are so bad for paint and produce scratches, why do the likes of Autoglym and Swissvax sell them?

Excellent answer. I was thinking more along the lines of why would a well respected car care business sell products that will scratch your car? Surely selling such a product would tarnish their reputation. Or is it simply a myth that they will, or that inproper use will cause damage?

Surely if you've got grit left on your car after cleaning it you're doing a s**t job?

The very simple answer to those points is not everyone is a car detailer.

Think how many people out there want to wash their cars. Now think how many are bothered that there are scratches in the paintwork that can only be seen in direct sunlight and under certain lights . . . not many.

If the whole of the general public wanted their cars to look just detailed, I would be a very rich man right now, working away in my garage, not sat at my desk at 8.30. :)

I've always been told that you shouldn't tumble dry an MF towel or cloth. :S

Destroys the weave and also kills the charge (static charge helps dust etc to stick to the cloth, making the cloth lift up the contaminants rather than push them about).

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
Destroys the weave and also kills the charge (static charge helps dust etc to stick to the cloth, making the cloth lift up the contaminants rather than push them about).

I LOL'D when i read what he put, i thought it did summat along those lines. Shrinks the fibres doesn't it?

sym0n i agree drip dry FTW! :D

ibiza cupra
didnt know it distroyed them. i thought it would make them softer the same way that normal towels are harder if left to dry or softer if tumbledryed.

TrackCar & F30 330d

How do you clean/dry your clothes, towles and mitts?

I LOL'D when i read what he put, i thought it did summat along those lines. Shrinks the fibres doesn't it?

sym0n i agree drip dry FTW! :D

It actually breaks the bonds that create the static electricity, thereby destroying the effect.

didnt know it distroyed them. i thought it would make them softer the same way that normal towels are harder if left to dry or softer if tumbledryed.

That is true of fabric that towels are made of, not MFs :)

How do you clean/dry your clothes, towles and mitts?

Hand wash, hang to dry. It's bloody boring but worth it.

Jamie uses them once and then burns them, along with £50 notes.

Don't be so silly. I burn £20 notes. £50's make me look cool on a night out with my hoes and bros. Innit. (I really cannot pull that off haha!).

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Towels + water magnets are the way my boy!

Oh hai, single yet?

x

Bumder With A Buffer
I hand soak mine then put them in Washing machine on a slow speed. With some MF wash.

I have recently been hand washing them but find I cant get everything out and they are just as dirty as before I washed them. Drip dry after machine wash though.

TBF I wash mine after pretty much every use/detail. So when they get to the stage that they just don't clean, I do just either use them for wheels or throw them lol!

Bumder With A Buffer
Aye im making use of the 50 MF's from screwfix (£20 for 50) and they are serving well as "s**t cleaning" rags! :) Engine bay..inside doors, wheels and arches.