ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What am I looking at

Basically, a 182 running on 3 cylinders. I'm not mechanically minded so does anyone know what could be the cause of this and ideally what kind of cost I'll be looking at to fix it up?

Thanks

E36 328i
Is the engine management light on/flashing? If so get a code reader on it. If you have a friend with one its ideal, however you can get cheapy ones from Argos. Mine was running on 3, code reader gave me injector fault cylinder 3, injector replaced at 80 notes, problem sorted.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
in order of likely hood id say

most likely
plug
coil pack

less likely
injector wiring
injector
HT lead

even less likely (but still possible)
Piston rings - smoke
Headgasket - smoke/mayo

first find the affected cylinder, unplug ht leads until its clear which cylinder is misfiring (DO NOT PLUG OR UNPLUG HT'S WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!!)
unplugging a HT from a healthy cylinder will cause the misfire to get worse as you drop to 2 cylinders!!
unplugging the unhealthy cylider will cause it to stay the same. the change might not be obvious as the engines can run on as little as 1 cylinder i found, so might even end up just trying each cylinder plugged in on their own.

after youve found the cylinder thats missing, remove the plug, rest it on the engine while still plugged in to the pack, and crank it. If theres no spark then youve found the issue. try swapping plugs and leads around to find out if the problem is the plug or HT, if neither it will be the Coilpack, theyre a pretty universal item and quite fond of going wrong.

if its a spark issue, then itll cost under £50 and easily done yourself.

If its not the spark thats the issue, youll have to look into fueling! first try simply removing the plug to the injector on the affected cylinder and inspect for damage or bad connection, (i had a miss fire due to a cracked plug on the injector once). once again if this is not the case then you will have to find another injector to try to see if it isolates the issue.

hope this helps! :)