ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What actually is Toe out ??

And do I need it?

Getting my geometry set up tomorrow. Planning on going for around -2 degrees camber with the camber bolts I've just fitted.

I've heard a lot about toe out for the rear wheels. Most seem to go for 5 minutes. This means absolutely nothing to me lol. Can't get my head around how an adjustment like this can be measured in time :S ??

Do I need toe in or out on the rear wheels? And what actually is it?

Cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Minutes is a measurement of angle mate, like minutes on a clock. Although the analogy breaks down because 60 minutes is one degree, so 5 minutes is a twelfth of a degree.

tow out on the rear will make the backed very lively, as will it on the front in fact, whichever end you put toe out on basically will make that end of the car keener to change direction.

I would avoid it to begin with at least.

Last edited:
Ahhhh I see now. Thanks for clearing that up mate.

I'm surprised to hear that even a twelfth of a degree out would make any difference actually.

I will go by your advice and leave it for now then. I was just checking to make sure that it wasn't actually needed when camber is used on the front.

Cheers Chip

Clio 182 Sport Cup
There is a good post in guides section that goes through all the main geometry adjustments and the effects they have. It's geared toward race cars but the basics are the same. An interesting read to understand what your wheels are doing!

WRX
Toe out on the front helps turn in which then reduces understeer. In doing so, it changes the characteristics quite dramatically. As Chip says I'd leave it neutral at first and play about if needed later.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
As said the other day Martin, I've had mine set to factory and to be honest it really feels comfortable to me, nothing was un-nerving and it felt planted at all times.
ive now done 2 trips to the ring with it set like this and for me I'll be sticking with it this way.
my only alteration is a smidgen of extra camber dialed in on the front.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
i run 20mins toe out, much nicer as it weights up the steering slightly and improves stability

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I have this all wrong, I thought it was when you have a really old pair of socks?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Indeed. Just needed a bit more confidence with the setup to provail eh ;)

Nah thats holy or venting.

I thought venting was the morning after a good curry and a few guiness' when the duvet is lifted and dropped? or is that wafting?

Thats wafting. Best one is leave them under the duvet for the mrs, then get up whilst trapping it, then turn the light on. they then put their head under the duvet. BAM double wammie!

Disclaimer. I dont drink. So no I am unable to complete such a task. So therefore I don't expect to have this played on me either (she knows who she is!)

Clio 182, Astra Sri
When you say factory settings

What are they? Having my geo set up next Friday after birchdown change some suspension parts etc. will the geo techs have a way of knowing what is needed or will I have to tell them exactly what I want and where?

I'm going for 1.5 degs negative on the front with camber bolts, I've read that this setting will help handling but not affect tyre wear too much to notice.

Last edited: