ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What’s the PMS shifter REALLY like?

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Looking for first hand experience only really, as I’m considering buying one but want honest user opinions...

I’ve seen a couple of people complain about extra noise in the cabin but I’m not at all fussed by that.

What I really want to know is if the lack of a return spring on the shifter to put the lever in the 3rd/4th gear plane when you take your hand off the knob is a problem?

Obviously every car I’ve ever driven ‘finds’ third gear for you by pushing forward, I want to know if the PMS shifter would actually hinder my gear changes, don’t really want to spend £300 odd quid and find out it’s awful!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Ive had a number of setups over the years;

• Sloppy standard: Poor reach due to the height and driving position, throws ok but doesnt feel very positive in the shift.
  • Rebushed standard: Same compromises as above, I didnt really think this was worth the effort!
  • Scenic standard: Better height but needs adapting to improve the reach.
  • Scenic bent 45 degrees with yanoo 1.0 insert: Much better, great feel in the shift action but still slight play, bending the shaft helped a lot with the position. Throw was still long.
  • PMS: Pain to setup, vibrates/resonates if you dont have your hand on the knob but is 100% better than any of the above in my opinion, any negatives are far outweighed by the positives. You can effortlessly move between gears and I have had no issues finding gears once setup correctly.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Absolutely love the PMS Shifter, mine is fitted into my Hillclimb car so noise and vibration aren't an issue.
Love the fact you can bang it into 1st and it selects no worries which is handy went it comes to some really tight hairpins (see below)

Rich

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
love mine, wouldn't want to live with it daily due to the rattles etc, but the track car I wouldn't use anything else unless I went sequential, which is just a pipe dream!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I'm tight so was more than happy with my modded scenic with Yanoo3, but did try a PMS on a friends car and you could feel the quality was there, but doesnt justify the price. Yanoo makes little difference to me, as I dont like the tight feeling, so its fully loose, so if doing again, would just be modded scenic, (with quick shift pivot at gearbox end) and refresh the joint with a bush kit from ebay.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
In a track/race car they are brilliant. Reach is so much better and the changes are easier and feel more precise. Not sure if I would want one in a road car as mine is noisey

182 Clio
Looking to get one too, any help on how to set them up properly...... as in what’s needed to get it right

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Could you fit a centre return spring so it automatically centred as I think that would do my head in if it didn't.

Think CAE shifter for meganes/M3's etc.

Could you fit a centre return spring so it automatically centred as I think that would do my head in if it didn't.

This was a HUGE concern for me too. I almost didn't fit mine because of this. I was worried it could force me to select a wrong gear when hammering it on track

Mine does centre itselt though, and all has been fine ever since fitting. It feels so precise I can't ever imagine not having it now.

dan's cast offs.

the detent spring is already there on the selector coming out of the box, nothing to do with the pms shifter.

172 Turbo
This was a HUGE concern for me too. I almost didn't fit mine because of this. I was worried it could force me to select a wrong gear when hammering it on track

Mine does centre itselt though, and all has been fine ever since fitting. It feels so precise I can't ever imagine not having it now.

When I sold mine I remember saying to you that I thought the price they were now was to expensive and not worth it.

A few laps of Silverstone later and it's the next mod on my car again! Hoping for a Black Friday discount!

Iceberg 172cup
Mine also centres without any problems.

I am having issues with my PMS shifter/linkage popping out of reverse though atm :(
I've fitted one in the last 6 months and having the same problem! Interested to know if there's a simple fix?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I've only had mine fitted for around 3 months.

At first I wasn't sure, however it is great on track. However it does rattle, a lot...

dan's cast offs.
Any pointers on how to fix?

i set mine by eye but the pms destructions say about putting it in reverse to set it up, don't know if that's anything to do with why some vibrate a lot? keep meaning to speak to nick about it.

Clio 172
Finished fitting mine to my hillclimb/sprint clio at the weekend and it’s epic, didn’t know there was such a thing to help with vibration rattle. Might order one, not that it really bothers me and the whole car rattles haha

Finished fitting mine to my hillclimb/sprint clio at the weekend and it’s epic, didn’t know there was such a thing to help with vibration rattle. Might order one, not that it really bothers me and the whole car rattles haha

yes there is a massive lump of metal that clamps onto the linkage, it weighs almost 1kg, so as mine's a track car I didn't fit it and sold it on

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
yes there is a massive lump of metal that clamps onto the linkage, it weighs almost 1kg, so as mine's a track car I didn't fit it and sold it on
Are you on a special diet to keep your weight down? go for a s**t pre track session? lap times? I only ask as if you're not doing the aforementioned 1kg will make zero difference.

I've just ordered said lump of metal as my track car drives me f**king wild driving to the track and even with headphones it can make me suicidal.

dan's cast offs.
I've just ordered said lump of metal as my track car drives me f**king wild driving to the track and even with headphones it can make me suicidal.

daft question, did you set yours up yourself and if so did you do it by the way pms say with selecting reverse?

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
daft question, did you set yours up yourself and if so did you do it by the way pms say with selecting reverse?

I'm pretty sure we fitted it in reverse, the odd thing is the shifter only needs the slightest bit of pressure on it to stop it rattling. I thought it was the small spring inside the knob but obviously it isn't that, so bit the bullet and bought the rather expensive lump of metal.

dan's cast offs.
I'm pretty sure we fitted it in reverse, the odd thing is the shifter only needs the slightest bit of pressure on it to stop it rattling. I thought it was the small spring inside the knob but obviously it isn't that, so bit the bullet and bought the rather expensive lump of metal.

i've only ever had one that rattled that much but i set them by eye not in reverse, am sure that's got something to do with hoqw much they rattle?

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
i've only ever had one that rattled that much but i set them by eye not in reverse, am sure that's got something to do with hoqw much they rattle?

When we fit it to the new car, I'll fit it in reverse and I'll see what its like prior to fitting the "damper".

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Are you on a special diet to keep your weight down? go for a s**t pre track session? lap times? I only ask as if you're not doing the aforementioned 1kg will make zero difference.
Find 20-30 items that arent really needed in a track biased car and that weight about 1kg and it can make big difference. Just ask Colin Chapman.

Yes as it happens, but not for the car! (25kg off me!) Every kg makes a difference, I’ve taken quite a lot of weight out of the car and adding an unnecessary (for me) 1kg lump felt wrong, also thought of what effect it would have in the linkage and box itself over time so decided not to fit it, I have no interior and plastic windows, a pms rattle is quite minor compared to the rest of the noise.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I suppose but track days are supposed to be for fun, racing series are for going daft with weight. Theres a numpty on here whos gone to the enth degree to remove weight the keeps the standard seats... why?