ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What’s happened here?

Land Rover
So l went out in the Clio 182 this morning and it was fine, got home, parked it on the drive, went in for some lunch.
Came out an hour later, started the engine....and it’s firing on three cylinders with the engine light on.
A short drive made no difference it’s still firing on three cylinders.

Coil pack? Seems a common reason for sudden misfires.
I will check the spark plugs and HT leads if someone can tell me how to get to them!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Have you got engine management light on? To get to the plugs and leads you need to remove the inlet manifold. Seven bolts, unplug all the sensors, throttle body and remove air filter bend. That will then give you access to the plugs and removal of leads @Landyman

Land Rover
No it’s constantly on

But l think l have found it....no. 1? (LHS spark plug looking at engine from the front) HT lead is burnt out at the spark plug cap end.

It’s just loose, the other three are fine.

Can someone on here sell me a Renault OE HT lead ASAP?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Land Rover
Well, l repaired the bad connection and put it all back together and it’s still firing on three cylinders
I checked the spark plugs and they all look OK
The HT seems to be OK there’s a healthy spark at the coil pack if you remove any of the plug leads.
Will the ECU need to be reset after the fault? I wonder if it’s cut the fuel supply to that cylinder as my BMW used to do.

Otherwise l’m not sure what to look at next.
There was no warning of the fault it was fine when l last drove it.

Land Rover
I realise that, but will they be OK? It says they have sold 97 sets.

The genuine ones look great but are five times the price.

Looking into it the cheap ones are from China. But isn’t everything made there now?

I bought a set of LED backlights for a TV l was repairing from a Chinese seller.
When they arrived they were the same as the OE ones, at 20% the price even including shipping

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I realise that, but will they be OK? It says they have sold 97 sets.

The genuine ones look great but are five times the price.

Looking into it the cheap ones are from China. But isn’t everything made there now?

I bought a set of LED backlights for a TV l was repairing from a Chinese seller.
When they arrived they were the same as the OE ones, at 20% the price even including shipping
No. Buy genuine.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Chances are it's injector number 3. Unplug it and see if it makes a difference.

And those injectors you linked to are a waste of money I'm afraid.

Land Rover
OK
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Genuine it is then. I will check them with a meter but probably best to replace all four plus the HT leads.
It will be one less thing for the next owner to worry about.

PH2 172
OK
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Genuine it is then. I will check them with a meter but probably best to replace all four plus the HT leads.
It will be one less thing for the next owner to worry about.

These are the OE injectors, as you can see, they are not inscribed with IWP042 and come with the clips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-...h=item41cfdbc516:g:AZ0AAOSwR6RZ-D6L:rk:2:pf:0

They have gone up by £2 a piece this week, but that`s Brexit for you.

Land Rover
Well, that’s the injectors ordered from the link posted above.
I see it’s Renparts, l’ve dealt with them before for used parts and they were OK.

I also ordered the genuine HT lead set from the link given above (Renault Parts Direct) as it needs those anyway whether it’s caused the fault or not.

Thank you again everyone for the advice and information.

Last edited:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Take the metal injector/rail cover off and with the engine running unplug each injector in turn - when you come to the injector which makes no difference to the missfire when unplugged you have found your culprit!

Good luck
Rob,

PS - good call going for a genuine injector, I've had a real nightmare with Chinese knock offs in the past (which were sold as genuine!)

dan's cast offs.
at least they spelled iwp correctly on the knock off ones, best bit on the listing details when you look at the brand...burst out laughing when i saw it. might as well of said 'injector love you long time company'

have got a pic of some knock off injectors, will see if i can find it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
at least they spelled iwp correctly on the knock off ones, best bit on the listing details when you look at the brand...burst out laughing when i saw it. might as well of said 'injector love you long time company'

have got a pic of some knock off injectors, will see if i can find it.
You showed me those! Some without holes even all the way through. Amazing

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
IF they worked then the spray pattern would be all over the place!

Land Rover
I didn’t know that they were “knock off” injectors.
But they seemed too cheap which is why l asked on here.
Yes it looks like no. 3 injector has failed. It measures open circuit.
I’ve fitted the new genuine Renault HT lead set which arrived today
Just waiting for the OE injectors to arrive from Renparts.
I’m glad it failed on me rather than me sell it and it fail soon after.

Land Rover
The Cup version seems to sell for more.
Although mine’s in better condition than the one at £4500

It’s currently up at £3800 but l would probably take £3600

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

I take it that is my one you are referring too!! Yours is very nice and I am surprised it has not sold.

I am not sure how you have reached that conclusion that yours is better, worse or on par! Mine also fires on all four cylinders ?

Have you seen the car I had for sale? It is a particularly good, original car with extensive history. I would happily of shown anyone the car and is the best 182 I have owned.

Land Rover
It looks a great example
I like them on the original wheels.

I only noticed thet you mentioned the paint issues from the stripes and the fact that you said it has “a few marks consistent with age”
Where mine is unmarked
And the belts due in two years where mine have just been done and so not due for five.
And your engine bay while absolutely fine is not to show standard like mine (not that it matters to most people)

But yours is clearly a better deal than mine!! as it has sold quickly where mine is nearly £1,000 cheaper and has had nobody even come to see it.
And that’s what matters, l can go on about how nice my car is but it’s yours that has sold.

Last edited:

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That is fair enough and I respect your comments.

I am sure it will sell and unless desperate I think you should hold out for your origional advertised price, which I feel is fair considering the work you have completed since purchase. The right buyer will eventually come along.

Genuine injectors should sort the running issue and is another thing anyone buying should not have to worry about in the future.

PH2 172
I didn’t know that they were “knock off” injectors.
But they seemed too cheap which is why l asked on here.
Yes it looks like no. 3 injector has failed. It measures open circuit.
I’ve fitted the new genuine Renault HT lead set which arrived today
Just waiting for the OE injectors to arrive from Renparts.
I’m glad it failed on me rather than me sell it and it fail soon after.

While your there, you may as well bin the Bosch plugs and fit the proper NGK`s.

http://www.roadtrackraceparts.com/ngk-spark-plugs-renaultsport-clio-172-182.html

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

I have no idea why the cups sell for more? Rarity I guess?

From memory yours is at +100k and Mbeau's car was around 75k? I suspect its the mileage which is putting people off rather than price@condition. Plus its an absolute nightmare selling a hot hatch in winter!

If I were a trader and had enough upfront dosh I would buy convertibles and motorbikes over Xmas and sit on them until summer.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mileage to most will win the race especially at that price point. On reflection was sold too cheap but I was happy enough.