ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wet tyres or snow tyres?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all..

Im hopefully going to get new tyres in 2 weeks but im undecided atm.

Ive been planning a set of snow tyres but then i'd need to fork out again for summer/dry tyres after winter.

Question: would i be safe enough with a set of rainsport 2's through winter and then they will be fine for after winter too. Obviously they will be brand new with plenty of tread if it snows so they shouldnt be too bad?

Thanks.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
they will be nowhere near snow tyres...thread and snow depth is not the only variable...temperature is the main problem.
Then again...I imagine snow can get pretty bad in Scotland...i'd go for snowtyres

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok cheers. Yeah gets bad here but just the same as everywhere really.

Ive never had snow tyres before so excuse my stupid questions :p

Are cheap snowtyres s**t compared more expensive ones?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Guess that would be the same as with normal tyres...you get what you pay for.
snow never gets that bad here in Holland, I think the question to ask is is a cheap snow tyre better than a summer tyre in the snow?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah i suppose your right there mate.

As they're only 15" they're pretty cheap for anything so i could just get 2 sets instead of being a tight prick :p

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
If you want winter tyres but don't want to spend a fortune have a look at Nankangs winters. Not the best but still better than a set of summers/rainsport 2s in the snow.

Vredestein do the best winters, also Toyo snow proxys are great for the cost.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Snow tyres ?

Winter tyres is what you mean I assume unless you're speccing up your WRC car ? :rasp:

Get a set of 4 and swap them back in March/April to your 'regular' tyres.

Compound is much different as is the tread layout.

Rainsports are no alternative in snow... Winters are a different league.

Sh*t winters are much better than any regular tyre during wintery conditions.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I can drive to the conditions but better tyres make it alot easier.
I guess you keep your semi slicks on when theres 3 foot of snow aye?

Thanks for the advice. I did see that Nankang ones. Ill get a set of those i think, then get a set od yoko ad08s next year :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah. I like driving up and down hills.

Me too and I find winter tyres very useful for this when there is snow, but apparently there is a CS unique driving course that you can go one which means if you need to drive up a steep snowy hill in a fwd car you can use your knowledge alone to propel the car up the hill without needing any of that traction nonsense that the laws of physics imply is useful.

Each year I swap to winter tyres and then swap back just for the harshest couple of months, most winter tyres dont last very long at all if used above about 10 degrees C or so, so leaving them, on is counter productive.

535d / t5 caravelle
Me too and I find winter tyres very useful for this when there is snow, but apparently there is a CS unique driving course that you can go one which means if you need to drive up a steep snowy hill in a fwd car you can use your knowledge alone to propel the car up the hill without needing any of that traction nonsense that the laws of physics imply is useful.

Each year I swap to winter tyres and then swap back just for the harshest couple of months, most winter tyres dont last very long at all if used above about 10 degrees C or so, so leaving them, on is counter productive.

well said, i too put winters on, surprised at how little they wore last year tbh

Clio 182
Next month i'll buy the Michelin Alpin 4 tyres 195-45-16"
One of the best tyres money can buy at the moment in this size and temperatures below 7 degrees!

Not too soft so not bad and more than enough grip when it's not so cold and/or dry.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok, like i said ive never had a set before, i didnt even know there were snow AND winters hah

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Personally i'd look for a cheap set of 15" wheels as well to get them fitted to if you have space to store another set..

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
By snow i'm assuming most people in this country are refering to the "studded" type of tyres which are in fact more "ice" tyres.. just to confuse it all some more!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
what's the difference between a winter tyre and a snow tyre?

Snow tyres are studded and not legal for use on UK roads anyway.

Winter tyres have blocks designed to allow them to shuffle about and lose snow and ice from them well to allow them to better grip, when you look at the tread blocks they look like mutliple blocks only a few mm thick all stood right next to each other to make one big block.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Here is a winter tread pattern:
810_tech_details5_en,property=original.jpg

If it was a snow/ice one it would have studs too.

172 cup- suzu rf600r
I use winter tyres mate they make a massive difference and up your way I'd say are a must.

If you keep your eyes on the bay and scumtree you'll find a cheap set of wheels, just stick the winters on them and use for the worst couple of months and they should last you 2-3 winters (ish, obviously).

If you are lucky like me you'll find a set of alloys with decent winter tyres already fitted, much cheaper way to do it and if you decide from there that it's worth while buy some decent new ones to put on.

I did last year end up swapping them on and off a couple of times, because when it gets warmer they are really crap, but that's the advantage to having two sets of wheels!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks for explaining that chip. It makes sense now.

Decided im going for winter tyres then AD08s after winter :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I used Rainsport 2's on my 182 for 2 years and had no problems whatsoever in snow/ice/rain etc

I couldnt be fucked buying 'winter' tyres then Uniroyals again in the summer. I've never needed them in 9 years of driving!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd also like to add that my mrs will be using the car more than me during winter and she has never driven in the snow so its probably best with winter tyres

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I used Rainsport 2's on my 182 for 2 years and had no problems whatsoever in snow/ice/rain etc

I couldnt be f**ked buying 'winter' tyres then Uniroyals again in the summer. I've never needed them in 9 years of driving!

Well then during that entire time it would appear that one of two things is true:

1) you havent ever tried to go up a genuinely slippery snow covered hill that was steep and so as a result you simply havent a clue what you are talking about relative to those of us that occasionally need to do so in the winter because we visit steep rural areas that arent gritted and hence you should probably just stop wrongly thinking that you own very limited driving experiences are the same for others as well

2) you are a CS hero driver who doesnt need traction in order to apply a force to a surface with a tyre to generate a pull on the mass of the car in order to work against the 9.8m/s pull of gravity applied relative to the angle of the hill in the opposite direction to the one you wish to be travelling, because instead you just use your keyboard to be so internet awesome with your driving ability that the laws of phyics dont apply to you anymore as they fear your keyboard so much that they allow you to lift a car up a 50 yard tall hill without any grip to do so.

Cup In bits
I use winter tyres mate they make a massive difference and up your way I'd say are a must.

If you keep your eyes on the bay and scumtree you'll find a cheap set of wheels, just stick the winters on them and use for the worst couple of months and they should last you 2-3 winters (ish, obviously).

If you are lucky like me you'll find a set of alloys with decent winter tyres already fitted, much cheaper way to do it and if you decide from there that it's worth while buy some decent new ones to put on.

I did last year end up swapping them on and off a couple of times, because when it gets warmer they are really crap, but that's the advantage to having two sets of wheels!

This ^^^^

Good sound advice, even if you can't get a set on wheels just buy a part worn set from eBay, will be about £80 to swap and then go back again to summer tyres tho if the prices are similar to round here.

Loads of people sell them coming up to winter, just buy a higher aspect ratio tyre which are cheaper and don't look as good but they serve a purpose trust me. I go boarding few times weekly in the winter and have never been stuck unless we're playing but stay on the beaten track and you'll be laughing.

It really doesn't even cost much more TBH. For example, my shed needs new tyres all round right about now. That's gonna cost me the best part of £900 plus fitting. Except it isn't, because I'm fitting my winters in the next few days, and they'll remain on the car until next spring.

Audi A3
long term the cost will even it out as youre swappping between the 2.

although in syaing that i used rainsports on mine over the winter and they were more than capable.