ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wet Road - Diesel - Ouch!

Clio 172 ph1
I hit something slippy on a corner yesterday too :(
Doing about 20mph as it was pretty sharp anyway and over crest, all of a sudden the wheel jerked towards the kerb and I pulled away with only the nearside front rim all scuffed - which was kerbed a bit anyway.

The wheel only grazed the kerb for a second, not even full circle but took out a few wee chips :rolleyes:

Just wondering will everything in behind the wheel be ok?
Might be worth getting your tracking checked, if it was a quick scuff it'll hopefully be alright.

Sunny
ABS wont help you if there's no traction unfortunately.

If there's diesel in the mix, you can have as many driver aids as you like you're still going round.

actually, it does provide limited control on slippery surfaces, and allowed me to steer away from two impact sites.

obviously this depends on the speed and conditions.

Mk1 focus
It was on the Beamish roundabout near Durham.

Only took the council and gritters 3 hours to come out!

LOL typicall, there only based in anfeild plane. That roundabouts a feast for accidents for some reason. Good luck sorting your car (y)

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
First rule of cliosport:

If you crash, and chances are you were driving beyond the limits, blame diesel on the road.

I drive round 11 roundabouts twice a day and have done for the past 4 years and i've never ever come across diesel on any of them. Why is it on a roundabout and never on a corner? Do they think f**k it we'll spill it on the roundabout for the lulz?

172 Cup
Cheers Skott - up to know it's a bottom arm and subframe being replace :(

Tyranical - read my opening post. I gave way at the roundabout, meaning I would have to stop - in order for me to drive beyond the limits in that short distance I would need some sort of rocket propelled car.

AG 200
actually, it does provide limited control on slippery surfaces, and allowed me to steer away from two impact sites.

obviously this depends on the speed and conditions.

Was this one?

alvarez-stephen-meteor-crater-is-the-best-preserved-asteroid-impact-site-on-earth.jpg

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Cheers Skott - up to know it's a bottom arm and subframe being replace :(

Tyranical - read my opening post. I gave way at the roundabout, meaning I would have to stop - in order for me to drive beyond the limits in that short distance I would need some sort of rocket propelled car.

Well firstly, depending on who you ask on here, a clio cup is practically rocket propelled and secondly we often get people coming on here saying they did this, that or the other to somehow justify to us and themselves that they weren't driving erratically, doesn't mean thats how it really happened.

172 Cup
Well firstly, depending on who you ask on here, a clio cup is practically rocket propelled and secondly we often get people coming on here saying they did this, that or the other to somehow justify to us and themselves that they weren't driving erratically, doesn't mean thats how it really happened.

Firstly - I'm not one of these believers that the cups are something they're not.
Secondly - I would have openly admitted that I was driving like a tit, but I wasn't, the opening post is exactly what happened no bullsh*tting.

350z, Subaru Legacy
Claiming off the council won't happen. I had an absolutely solid case for claiming back in Feb 2010, basically there was a massive pothole like an open trench in the middle of the road about a foot deep. Lowered clio -> Broken suspension.

Their defence was that it was being fixed the next day; which was true. The fact that it was on a blind crest of a hill, they obviously knew about it and there were no cones, warnings etc. apparently meant sh*t all to my £800 repair bill...

I had pictures of the hole/damage and went through all of the proper motions including requesting the road survey records etc....

Blood and a stone unfortunately.

Good luck though!

I drove on an oil slick from hellifield to settle. About 8 miles. I was doing 40mph and a van infront was doing the same, a slow pace for the road and we were all over the place. I floored my car to see how much grip there was and I could do a supposed 140mph without getting any traction. Ive driven on diesel and its mental so I can fully sympathise with you! Good luck with the claim.

clio sport 200
I go round this twice a day when working and one day last week my back end span out alittle I thought it was cos I was going too fast in the rain. But maybe it was the diesel!!! Umm wonder if I could claim........

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That looks like a pretty serious diesel spillage, I've come off a bike twice in the past before I learned to look for (and smell) the signs of danger from countless commercial vehicles with overfilled tanks. Also pirouetted (sp?) almost completely at sub-20mph on a diesel soaked unlit roundabout at night...evil stuff.

Clio 172 Cup
Bark, what round about you come off? I was expecting the one on Newcastle road just past Esso. That's always full of diesel from the wagons at the Port.

172 Cup
Mark it was the roundabout on the A693 directly outside of Beamish, was absolutely horrible.

Dan I'm not sure if the wheel is fooked, I'm really hoping not its turning out to be an expensive meal in the moores I can tell you that.

There was very light drizzle at the time of it happening so the actual bit on the roundabout just looked like damp road. No signs of rainbows or anything until I went down and took pics.