ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wet Carpet

Did a search but couldn't find a thread similar to this one.

I know its a bit of a common thing but. think mine is slightly different. The carpet is literally piss wet through from the pedals to the back seat, but only on the drivers side? Where are the drainage holes and how easy are they to find? They need to be bunged up I think I read whats best? Can it be done from underneath or do I need the seats and carpet out? (This scares me!) I also seem to remember hearing something about removing wipers and cleaning something out but not sure on that?

Any other suggestions? Any guides? - I'm not very mechanically, as you can probably tell!

Sorry for the tardyness!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
First thing i'd do is remove the wipers and the scuttle panel and check the drain holes under there. Renault scenics and VW passats are prone for it so there's no harm in trying.

If its that wet it won't be a leak, it will be a proper water ingress from somewhere i'd have thought.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not at all. A morning, a basic socket set and a hosepipe.

It will be if you take it to a dealer etc.

Ah gotcha. Interior out, sit inside get a mate with a hose pipe and see if i can spot a dodgey door seal or something? Not sure what I though originally!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yes mate thats it.

Although before you go removing interior, try just the hosepipe thing first. If you find the leak without removing the interior it will save you a load of aggro.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
you will need the interior out with out a doubt the only way of tracing things.

it will be a blocked drain in the middle of the scuttle panel, but the seal on the heat duct may be perished and is now leaking this will need resealing really

After more rain last night there has been actual fecking puddles in the back, but I can't get the wipers/ scuttle panel off until the weekend!

Also can I remove the wipers with out a removal tool or is it best to get one?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Wipers (unless proper stuck!) will come off with a bit of wiggling and pulling.

Iceburg 172 cup
hi mate i have the same problem.. its pissed me off so much ive taken it off the road and into a garage.. Have you had much success??

2001 Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Happened to mine ?
would like the scuttle pannel adive in more detail please
both of my footwells are flooded on the right hand side

Had this problem with my Megane. 99% sure it will be the scuttle drains blocked as Daniel said. Fairly easy job to fix (although my wipers were a pain to get off, felt like they were welded on ffs!).

Have a quick search on google and there are plenty of guides on how to remove the scuttle panel and locate the drains.

If the wipers refuse to move like mine did you can use a mechanic ball joint separator

It's like 3 fingers which grip round all sides of the wiper mount then a screw in the centre, as you tighten that screw onto the threaded bolt sticking up from the wiper mechanism the 3 fingers grip the wiper arm mount and pull it off :)

Nick

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I'm having this very problem - wet carpets and can't remove the windscreen wipers.

To those of you who mention using a ball seperator, what type did you use? It looks like there are several types - fork style, cup style, and scissor style. Has anyone had any success with the cheaper fork type?

Cheers

Pete

OK, that got the wipers off in seconds so I've now got the scuttle panel off, but can't see any obvious drainage points (other than the driver side one I've already checked).

Presumably they're hidden behind the wiper motor, water bottle etc. Does all that need removing or if you know exactly where they are, is it possible to do it without removing them?

Cheers

Pete

Ah yes, didn't see what you meant about the outlet until I'd taken off the wipers, scuttle panels, wiper motor, wiper linkage, water bottle, etc to find the inlet (which wasn't blocked) and traced it to the outlet where the actual blockage was! Oh well, hopefully that's the leak sorted now - just need to remove/clean/demouldify the seats, carpets, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Where's the outlet in the engine bay if you're reaching down the back of the engine? Or is it easier to push something long (teehee) down the inlet?

182cup & 172 racecar
Half way down in the middle, should have a plastic outlet pipe poking down, you can get this out if you can squeeze your hand down there.

FF Racing Blue 182
i ripped the flap off mine but the two corner ones were fine but couldnt get arch liners off screws too stiff/rusty

Just a quick update on my wet carpet, located it as coming down from underneath the dash on the passenger side. Whipped the wipers and scuttle panel off, wiper mechanism and screenwash tub out and found that where the rear washer fluid line goes, the grommet was loose and badly fitting. That's basically where the water runs down the side of the washer bottle down the outside of the line and straight into the car!

Quite hard to see in the photo, because dark.

388292_903293238174_1158813861_n.jpg