ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Went to the car this morning to find part of my suspension coil lying on the drive!?!

'53 172 Cup
So I head out to the car this morning and I see a 4-5" length off the bottom of my NS front suspension coil sitting on the floor... !?!

Three things...
Firstly... can I still drive the car as am due to be driving from Leeds back to London on saturday and need it for work today... my guess is that it's not a great idea!

Secondly... surely this shouldn't happen PERIOD... have I got any comeback on Renault themselves? It's a 53 plate 172 Cup only 53k on the clock... I definately haven't hit any big potholes or anything I can think that could have caused it and the Turini is absolutely fine!!

Thirdly... any replacement suggestions would be appreciated... am thinking if I need to fix the Susp' then might as well look at coilovers of some description!?!

Cheers if you managed to read through all that without getting bored and i'd appreciate any help/suggestions y'all may have!!

GJ

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Re: Went to the car this morning to find part of my suspension coil lying on the driv

i'd drive it

keep it on you if you crash though

just chuck it somewhere near where it came from on the car

then sue renault for monies claiming they nearly killed you

'53 172 Cup
Re: Went to the car this morning to find part of my suspension coil lying on the driv

I like your style... !! It's an option I suppose... !?!?!?!

Grande Punto, Clio 182

The same happened to my 05 182 with only 30k! Was the front right. I drove it on for a few weeks, then the rear shocked packed up. In the end i bought K-tec coilovers.

I was going to lower the car anyway so by the time I bought Eibach sportlines and 2 rear shocks, it wasnt much more for coilovers.

ITB'd MK1

clio springs snap all the time. changed one today on a 1.2. You're out of waranty, so no chance with renault. get a set of eibachs

'53 172 Cup

Thanks for all the help peeps... anyone else got an opinion or suggestion... !?!

Better than yours. C*nt.

Opinion is you're a fool for thinking Renault will replace anything on a car 3-4 years out of warranty.

Suggestion is replace it with OEM (do pairs) or a full aftermarket kit.

DMS

A thirsty 172

I had this with one of my rear springs when it still had the standard ones fitted.
I'd ordered a set of Sportlines at the time, and didn't even notice the coil had broken until it came to changing them. I must have been driving around like that for a while and never noticed any difference.
Probably wouldn't go down well if you had an accident though, so I'd get it sorted A.S.A.P.

Lou

This happened to both my front ones at seperate points this year - just wear and tear!

Evo 8 MR

Coilovers and fixed top mounts ftw. Didn't realise OEM springs snapped like this though.