ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Well that went well...

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Peeps - what do I do ??

1. i knackered the first engine!!
2. My mechanic mate then helped me and fitted another engine + belts etc etc (cost me in total about £1500). Then that engine goes as my mate did't use the right tool to tighten the cambelt. Thanks (never do business with a mate).
3. I then take the 182 to ren7oaks for them to fit another engine. They fitted it and started it all well and good, then I get a voicemail... this engine is shot also. Then I find out the parts and labour for it all this time is £1600 + the £750 I spent on the engine.

I could cry, I love the 182 soooo much but even now i'm trying to figure the best thing. I need a car quickly as my missus needs to use it as well for her new job.

My options I guess are:

1. Buy a 200
2. Buy a 172/182/trophy
3. Carry on fixing this 182 as the company that sourced this one have agreed to send another. That though leaves me with £1600 to pay for something out of my control. Also the dephaser and cambelt etc - can they be taken off and used on this other engine that is coming???

Any ideas or suggestions greatly received. 200 is tempting (cup).

cheers

Richard

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
P.s I love my present car and can't bare to sell up and say goodbye to it - is this normal?? haha

What did you do to your first engine? Are you filling them with water or something? Lol.

I wouldn't have spent £1500 the first time. But I guess it's a little late for that.

You say you got a voicemail to say it's dead again. From who? What's wrong? Who/where is the car now?

Definitely cut your losses with it. But you're way beyond the point of no return in another way.

1) Expensive
2) More money
3) No! Lol.

Have you considered getting a cheap runaround or something? Or does your missus demand a fast car?

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
No the missus doesn't demand a fast car although she liked the 182. Its more for me to be honest. Yeah they basically said the engine is knackered, knocking top and bottom and they said if it lasts a week i'd be lucky. The car is still at ren7oaks. I got the engine off a company which will remain nameless.

How can you love that it has cost you a fortune.

Break it for parts and buy another one, get one off here make sure it has all the service history including cambelt etc. sounds like you maybe bought a s**tter in the first place.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
To be honest my 182 gave me 4 years of no hassle at all. It never let me down but I knackered the first engine as didn't put oil in - I know, I know - believe me I've learn't my lesson.

Well you're going to have to pay Sevenoaks and for the engine, so you're in deep with that already.

I'd get it back and keep it. As long as you're happy with it and with a new engine/dephaser/belts, as long as you actually look after it you should be okay.

Otherwise, trade it in and get a 200. Winner.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
P.s I got the car from Davis Renault when these were still going for £10000 - thats how long i've had it :S

107 Track Car & C4
Personally I would just cut your loses with your current 182. If you love the 182 that much get another one rather than spending the extra money on a 200.

White clique
Get it in writing from renault sevenoaks that the engine is shot, go back to the company that sold it to you and put it in writing that you want a full refund.

Then get rid of the car and get something else.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
The engine from renault sevenoaks was fine mate - thats until I knackered it!!! the second engine was fine, until my mate didn't use the right tighten tool, third engine from company that is remaining nameless is the knackered one. Good shout in the letter though.

RS Clio 182
Why is this third company remaining nameless? Surely if you've had a bad experience with someone its better to share it and stop other forumers/club members from making the same mistake. Just a thought.

Black 182 FF
Get it in writing from renault sevenoaks that the engine is shot, go back to the company that sold it to you and put it in writing that you want a full refund.

This. Then it's up to you really. If you want to remain in a 172/182 then you've already got one that needs an engine(providing your car is ok apart from the engine). Whether you spend more money on the car rather than another 172/182 matters not, because that money is gone. What matters is that the next engine comes with some good history, as you would demand from the car you were buying anyway.

Or get a 200.

White clique
The engine from renault sevenoaks was fine mate - thats until I knackered it!!! the second engine was fine, until my mate didn't use the right tighten tool, third engine from company that is remaining nameless is the knackered one. Good shout in the letter though.

Yes but you need something in writing from Renault Sevenoaks as this will be the indepedent proof you need to show the person who sold you the 3rd engine that it is no good, and you want a refund.

Does this is company even know its knackared yet?

What will that solve?

He'll still owe for the labour of putting the bad engine in and he'll have a car that doesn't work.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
The company have said they'll source another 182 engine for me but as said above i'm knackered on labour and parts. The 182 is fine apart from engine, it has a new clutch, supsension fine, interior perfect etc :(

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I'm interested in the car, got a nice and healthy 182 lump sat here for it :) check your pm's

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
Didn't the work/engine come with some form of warranty?! I personally wouldn't use any garage etc that doesn't cover their work/parts.

GTiR 394bhp
Did you get any quotes to rebuild your existing short engine/s?Unless you put a rod through the block or trashed the crank then you could have done it for not much more than the price of the 2nd hand engine + getting the belts done.

Clio 182 arctic
Get your money back for the bad engine after you get proof that's its dead. Take the car to somewhere where they don't charge £1600 for parts and labour without an engine. Happy motoring for atleast a good few years to come.

clio 172 cup
Can you make the un named company pay for the labour as its their fault it was shot?
Im new by the way Clio 172 cup owner :)