ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Well BUGGRIT....new RS

Just had a quick scan through the latest CAR magazine where they preview 2006's hottest cars. Naturally there was a bit on the new Clio.

Apologies for some already mentioned information but this seems that wee bit more 'official' than before.

It will be 120Kg heavier but has apparently lapped the Ring significantly quicker, but dont all new cars nowadays?!

Renaultsport have been working on it since 2003 so it had had a lot of development, this is good news.

BUT...they are already planning the next evolution. "This will likely be called the Cup and be out sometime 2007"

b******s.

Why can't the release both versions at the same time? Going by what I see on the road and to an extent on here I would say there is greater demand for the harder version, Clios do not hold their value well enough over a year to justify trading in if the Cup turns out to be so much better. And also, 2007 will be very close to the usual mid-life upgrade.

Lets face it, the Clio at the moment owe's it's reputation based on the Cup versions rather than the bog standard 172. Why not capitalise on this straight from the off?

GRR

Steve

MINI JCW
Yeah all manufacturers say that about lapping quicker (beleive it or not), but it should lap quicker and the game should be moved on, I think you will find their is greater demand for the full fat version but Renault will probably offer the new version with cup packs anway

Bit harsh on the original 172 as alot will say the Civic Type R restarted the hot hatch but I would say it was the 172

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
it is a shame really, but i suppose they do that to make sure the car has a good life cycleand bringing out newer models helps that.

tis a shame.

i may well get a new renault sport when it comes out but i reckon i'll give it a while as it would be nice if they decided to strip it a bit ala cup stylee to make it a true cup deviation.

we will wait and see!

raf182 said:
BUT...they are already planning the next evolution. "This will likely be called the Cup and be out sometime 2007"

b******s.

Why can't the release both versions at the same time?

You mentioned it yourself straight away, "evolution"!!

I'd be more dissapointed if they released the MK3, then left it untouched for 5 years, wouldn't you? There are hundreds and hundreds of non-Cups out there driven by reasonably civilised people wanting to get to A-B in "style", 60% of 182s I see on the road are driven by women approaching 50, and thats a genuinely conservative estimate at best. The actual Cup specification 182 only accounted for something like 10% of 182 sales or something ridiculous like that didn't it?

At the end of the day I'm pleased they have as good as confirmed what we all expected, that Cups/Trophys etc will be a part of the new Clio. Anyone who buys the "Clio 200" as its called in Top Gear mag (huge poster of it in TG as well if anyone is interested!) has no reason to complain when the Cup comes out, as we all know it will happen, nobody is being forced to spend £15k just yet!

At the end of the day Renault need to make money, and they have a proven formula with Renaultsports that not only makes them a few quid, but also genuinely improves the cars over time, whats wrong with that?!

^^

I am all for the model being improved as time goes by but from a purely selfish point of view would rather they offered 'my' version from the off.

But...such is life and things never qork out quite right do they.

Elise/VX220/R26
pretty obvious any new renault will be superseeded with a few months of release, look at the megane! we had full fat trophy and cup all within 18 months! If you just bought a trophy you'll be pleased to know theres ANOTHER F1 "special edition" on the way. The clio trophy is the only true special edition they have ever done!

Buy a civic type r and over 5 years or whatever you get a mk1 and a mk2, the clio had 172, 172p2, 172 cup 182 182 cup and 182 trophy in the same timescale! There just no winning with renault unfortunately

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
UK is practicaly the only country in europe where the clio cup is sold...and than you have the "normal" clio with cup suspention, trophy etc...

the rest of europe (and the world) knows only clio rs1 and rs2, period...i heard that 25 trophys were sold in Swiss and that's it...

200 cup (van blanc)
i have a 'full fat' 182 with both cup packs - i love the car.

some folks are too hung up on the 'cup' version - the difference in performance is hard to measure - only maybe on a track in the hands of a good driver. and i like the more 'plush' interior of the full fat 182

i tested a trophy - sweet handling

anyway - i will get to the point - i cant wait for the new rs to come out , i am interested to see what it goes like as i will be changing my car at that time. the current possibilities are:

new clio rs
ctr
subaru wrx
lotus elise

C

Cupster

I test drove a 172 and a 182 (both packs) when I bought my cup and I bought the cup because it just felt more aggresive. It was louder, firmer, no leather (I hate leather - too hot in summer, too cold in winter), it was cheaper, it had climate and it had turinis. It just suited me better. If the new cup or whatever is just as good (and has climate) then I will probably get one in 2007.