ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Well, Black Gold's hard!

BG 182
So, after buying a DAS-6 PRO a couple of weeks ago, i've been making some progress on the clio. Taken a while so far, mainly because of the learning curve, but also due to the condition of the paint and how bloody hard it is! It looks like the previous owner liked car washes, lots of straight line scratches all over from bristles i presume, and heavy swirling. Also had a strange haze to the paintwork. Went over the majority of the car last weekend with Menz power finish on a Lake Country polishing pad, but it wasn't taking a massive amount out. Few pics of the defects...

IMG_4976.gif

IMG_4980.gif

IMG_4992.gif

Bonnet after 2 hits with power finish on a polishing pad :banghead:

IMG_5002.gif

IMG_5003.gif

So i came back to it today, and hit the passenger side with Menz Fast Gloss on a Lake Country cutting pad. Still hasn't taken everything out, but it's a hell of a lot better. Not sure whether it's the depth of the swirls etc or just because Black Gold seems to be very hard! No detailed shots as it started raining, but a few shots of the car.

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

Love Your car mate. Clio paint is very soft, I used menz p203 and a polishing pad on mine and it got rid of 99% of swirls. Make sure you have your technique right and work the polish in long enough.

BG 182
Love Your car mate. Clio paint is very soft, I used menz p203 and a polishing pad on mine and it got rid of 99% of swirls. Make sure you have your technique right and work the polish in long enough.

Thanks :) that's interesting, I was expecting it to be relatively soft. I've read in a few places now though that black gold seems to be very hard? I'll do a bit more research on technique make sure I've got it right, was doing 6 passes on the fast gloss though!

BG 182
It has yeah, I guess it must just be down to the depth of the defects, and it's taking a while to get them out!

astra gsi/cliosport 172
BG is a realy hard paint to work with i did mine last weekend but 80% of the marks and swirles out but will need done again

BG 182
BG is a realy hard paint to work with i did mine last weekend but 80% of the marks and swirles out but will need done again

What pads/polishes were you using? I'm pretty shocked at how difficult it is to get the swirls out, practised on an old KA boot i'd got and the swirls came out with a few hits of final finish on a finishing pad!

BG 182
I can't see why BG is any harder than other renault paint, surely they use the same lacquer ?

I've read a few things now about it being hard, don't understand it myself tbh!

You've probably already ready this?...

If not: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

2 passes isnt a lot/enough, you need to break down the polish and let it do its work, ive been learning machine polishing each time i do the odd panel etc, i read more then try again, its all a perfecting and learning curve.

Yeah already read that along with a stupid amount of other stuff. I've not been doing 2 passes, did 2 hits. About 6 passes per hit.

clio mk2
try moving down to a cutting pad with the fast gloss, when it's worked in, give it a quick mist with water/QD to help break it down even more.

What pads/polishes were you using? I'm pretty shocked at how difficult it is to get the swirls out, practised on an old KA boot i'd got and the swirls came out with a few hits of final finish on a finishing pad!

Gave my BG a machine polish today.

A massive improvement but there were still imperfections visible. I think it must just be due to the depth of the defects. I used Final finish, Power Finish and even Power Gloss combined with Sonus pads 1, 2 and 3.

20110426-rpbnmxuje1rkj28xp1mm2pwuux.jpg

There was still a very feint few left

20110426-p5cskpbsbtxrsaipgd8ggspws5.jpg

20110426-dhueb8x3f73c3q38hwxwgnm3pk.jpg

I guess it's just a case of taking a bit more time and repeating the process until they're all gone. I don't think I took a great deal off either.

Last edited:
  BG 182
Gave my BG a machine polish today.

A massive improvement but there were still imperfections visible. I think it must just be due to the depth of the defects. I used Final finish, Power Finish and even Power Gloss combined with Sonus pads 1, 2 and 3.

View attachment 56260

There was still a very feint few left

View attachment 56262

View attachment 56261

I guess it's just a case of taking a bit more time and repeating the process until they're all gone. I don't think I took a great deal off either.

So did you work up to your most aggressive compound/pad combo aswell? I've discovered a friend's got a paint depth gauge, so i'm gonna borrow that off him soon and measure it before and after a hit. See how much it's taking off.

I think i'm in the same boat as you, deep defects and being unsure how much clear coat to take off.

So did you work up to your most aggressive compound/pad combo aswell? I've discovered a friend's got a paint depth gauge, so i'm gonna borrow that off him soon and measure it before and after a hit. See how much it's taking off.

I think i'm in the same boat as you, deep defects and being unsure how much clear coat to take off.

Yep, I started with Final Finish, I had super finish but knew this would be pointless. Worked up through them all. Obviously I applied some pressure but not enough to bend panels or slow the DA down and gave it plenty of passes. I used Power Gloss on the bonnet in the end but everywhere else I just went over with Final finish on no. 3 I think (orange) and that got the majority of it out. I didn't have a lot of time. Next time I'll do it over two days.

Like you I would rather get 90% correction and leave a few in as without a PDG I wasn't sure how much I was taking off so would rather not risk it. Chances are it was minimal.

Will pop up a comparison shot in the sun later.