ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird Problem

180.5 bhp 172
Hey all,

Hoping someone can shed some light on something that happened on my way home from work today.

Left work to get fuel not even a mile away. Engine was cold and I never go over 3k rpm until its warm.
Pulled out the petrol station onto a 50mph road in moderate rush hour traffic so had to give 2nd gear a bit of a rev.
When it hit around 3000/3500 rpm there was a huge mechanical bang, then it started revving erratically from 1k to 2k and wouldn't let me have any throttle. Basically was like Limp Mode but it was revving like crazy all on its own.
The following warning lights came on when this happened....

SouthGloucestershire-20130312-00070_zps4fb22664.jpg

Pulled off the road into a side road about 200yrds after this happened, turned the engine off due to the revving problem, and left it for a few mins while i looked under the bonnet as I initially suspected a belt had gone. Thank god they are all in tact!! When i started the car to carry on home, all the lights that came one, went out.

Turned the engine back on and it now idles at around 1.5k, and when driving, when the clutch is down, the revs wont go below 2k.

Video below is what happens when I start the car...

th_VID-20130312-00000_zpsab8a1661.jpg

Basically I can only bring the revs down by putting it in gear and 'pulling' the revs down by trying to stall.

Any ideas?
I used my ScanGauge to check for fault codes, but nothing has been stored.

Use my car as a daily, so will see what its like in the morning.

Megane dci 130
It it will be a throttle fault. Either a problem with the pedal, throttle body or the wiring. (Or possibly the ecu but this is very rare).

Get the codes read on a proper machine.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Could possibly be the electronic throttle body gone faulty....... this wouldnt have caused that huge bang though you were talking about.
Seeing as the revs are up & down.... you could do a visual check on the butterfly flap in the throttle body, by taking the air intake pipe off.... & just see if the flap is opening & shutting as the revs are hunting up & down. Also check for any vacuum leaks also.

180.5 bhp 172
Thanks for that guys!Was a bit lumpy driving to work this morning, but felt ok power wise, then all of a sudden, at around 4k (when warm), bang, happened again with the same lights on the dash!I'll check the throttle body/butterfly when I get home and see if thats causing any problems, then if needs be, get it on a proper diagnostic machine.

180.5 bhp 172
Had it on a diagnostic tonight.
Turns out it is a problem with the TPS and/or Throttle Body.

Cleaned the TB with carb cleaner, and i'll change the pedal assembly and hopefully that'll do it!

180.5 bhp 172
Bump for a question...

Fitted a new throttle assembly and that turned all the lights off and has stopped the problems mentioned above, however it still idles to high and wont rev down if I take it out of gear while rolling to a stop/changing gear - still hovers around the 2k mark. Obviously when you put the clutch down, the revs should drop to idle, but it doesn't.

Would this be the TPS?

Megane dci 130
Yeah when ever you mess with the throttle system or fit new parts, the throttle stops need resetting.

clio sport 2003 2.0
Think I have the same issue.
It's intermediate, but what happens is it'll idle at between 2k and 3k, and even while driving without depressing accelerator it'll keep revs at like 3k, then sometimes maybe after 30mins driving it's just go into limp mode.
So the advice is throttle body? Any ideas cost to have it all cleaned up as I don't like my chances of doing it myself? And what if I just leave it? I mean it's still drivable.
Oh also, I got this funny code, any idea what it means, I got it by turning key to ignition while depressing trip computer button on the stalk.
Looks like a 'E' minus the top horizontal line followed by - - - -?
Thx