ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird Idling and cuts out!!! -HELP!!!

Revels Mum & Sister

Has only happened recently.

When I give the car some sh*t (16V clio) I.e On a dualcarriageway. When I stop or put the clutch in/let the car idle. It will idle at 1500RPM and not drop unless I turn the ignition on and then off.

Also occasionly when driving and reving quite high. It will resist and make a really nasty dieing sound and the revs will drop and the car stop. It can be bumped otherwise just cuts out and wont start for ages.

Ren garage said it could be the white top sensor. Anybody had this before or anything simlilar. Any help would be appreciated.

cheer guys.

Revels Mum & Sister

Oh yeah and the Fuel pump still primes as you can smell fuel. Also the realy is working. And the altenator is charging the battery fine.

Skoda Fabia vRS

you sure they didnt say the white coolant temp sensor ?

could also be the speedo cable, iscv, or potentiometer

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Mine idles at relly low revs if i dont let it warm up properly in a morning....goes dwn to about 400/500rpm, them slowly works its way back up to 900rpm on idle....ok after warm tho..

Revels Mum & Sister

The coolant temp sensor and the thermostat were changed about a month ago.

Any other suggestions???

I had similar problems with my RSi. Sometimes when I came to a complete stop it would drop to about 200 rpm and want to cut out on me. I took it to my local garage and the chap said that the lead to the distributor cap was badly corroded inside. He changed the cap and the lead and Ive had no problems since.

Hope this helps!

Revels Mum & Sister

Yeah hadnt thought of that mate will have a Look.

I know the lead is OK it is a new Magnecor one only few weeks old. Going in garage for a few bits tomm. Will ask them to take a peak!!

cheers

Skoda Fabia vRS

on the 16v you can clean out the idle speed control vavle, id definitely try that if i was you