ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird Hot Starting Issue

Clio 172 Phase 2
Hey everyone :)

Over the past week been having a few hot start issues with my 172.

When I first got it, I replaced the TDC sensor. The one that was on it was the modded blue one, but it was causing me cold start issues, however replaced it, and it all seemed fine until last week.

Cold start is still fine, not had another issue there, however if I go for a decent run, turn the car off for 10-15 minutes, the car will either crank and not fire up, or start, then cut out within 15-30 seconds.

I'm not really sure if this would have anything to do with a faulty temp sensor? Having replaced the TDC sensor, I didn't know what would be the next best thing to replace. In an ideal world, I'd get it on CLIP, but would anything show up?

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks

Gaz :)

Clio 172 Phase 2
Anyone got any thoughts?

It cut out twice today on the way to work when not in gear but 'rolling' over speed bumps near work, was rather embarrassing :/

Clio 172 Phase 2
Don't know if this might help too, but when it does cut out, when I restart, then have to sit in traffic again, it starts to rev itself slightly. I might give the ICV a clean too.

Get a heat shield on it :)

Should fix that problem...

As for the icv...
Is there any small long pipe coming off the airbox and going into the inlet.
Clean that out :)

I'll give a look at a ph2 172 I've in the yard tomorrow ;)

Clio 182
Don't know if this applies to Clios but on my dads Saab and also on a work friends Alfa they had hot starting issues similar to yours and it was the crank position sensor causing the problem.
Like I said don't know if it will be the same on the Clios but cant hurt to plug it into a diagnostics machine and have a look.
Hope this could be of some help.

Clio 172 Phase 2
Get a heat shield on it :)

Should fix that problem...

As for the icv...
Is there any small long pipe coming off the airbox and going into the inlet.
Clean that out :)

I'll give a look at a ph2 172 I've in the yard tomorrow ;)

Thanks for the replies guys, top stuff (Y).

Was just wondering what sort of difference a heat shield would make? Also on the ICV front, spoke to Adam at Wolverhampton Renault, and confirmed it's part of the throttle body, as it doesn't have a cable like the PH1, makes sense I suppose. As that's the case I'll try and take the whole throttle body off, give it a good clean, and replace the seal :D

In fairness I did replace the TDC sensor, but not the loom piece, as it had already had the modified loom. Might be another route to go down, but suppose I should really try and get it on clip :/

Clio 172 Phase 2
The starter is getting hot from the manifold.

When the heat shield is on it reflects the heat away from the starter.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get one from a breakers as mine appears to be missing.

However this wouldn't actually cause the car to stall/cut out in the first place? Any ideas what might be causing this when up to temp, it can be sitting in traffic for a couple of seconds then suddenly die :/

Clio 172 Phase 2
Managed to sort out the heat shield issue. Also took the throttle body off to give it a good clean. Will see what it's like on the way to work tomorrow.

On the way to work today it was horrible, I do roughly 10 miles of A roads 45-60 MPH, then around 3 miles of town driving, which it probably doesn't like. There's a lot of stopping and starting, as I have to end up waiting at a train crossing almost every day.

It cut out once this morning while waiting in traffic, and was a nightmare to get going again. Once I reached the drive to my work, they have a fair few speed bumps, and in first gear going over each was horrible. One minute it is wanting to stall, next it's revving by itself :/ Hope this throttle body cleaning has made a slight improvement.